Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:09 PM

I always liked the E28 (1980s 5 Series) better than the E24. Something always struck me as "wrong" about the 6 Series, maybe just because it wasn't the old CS/CSi. I think I'd be happier with the M5 version of the E28.

(Of course, the E26 would be nice too.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
I always liked the E28 (1980s 5 Series) better than the E24. Something always struck me as "wrong" about the 6 Series, maybe just because it wasn't the old CS/CSi. I think I'd be happier with the M5 version of the E28.

I love E28s - 533i was my first old BMW. I bought the E24 because it became available at a very good price and it grew on me.

I have never owned a 2002 or 2002Tii - I have been nosing around, but so far nothing worth shelling out $ for. Seems hard to find them with minimal rust issues, even down here in the sunny south.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:20 PM
Banned

Quote:

I think it looks cheap & reminds me of a Pontiac Fiero.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catswiththum View Post
I love E28s - 533i was my first old BMW. I bought the E24 because it became available at a very good price and it grew on me.
Ever see a 535iS? They only offered it for a couple of years, Basically, it was trimmed out like an M5 and had a tweaked suspension, not quite up to M5 specs. The engine was the basic SOHC six that the regular 535i (and 635CSi and 735i) came with. They didn't sell well at all but they were pretty nice. I wanted one as a demo but they were hard enough to sell without miles on them. Plus, the owner wanted a 7 Series in demo service so that's what I drove (when it wasn't out as a service loaner for some high roller).

Quote:
I have never owned a 2002 or 2002Tii - I have been nosing around, but so far nothing worth shelling out $ for. Seems hard to find them with minimal rust issues, even down here in the sunny south.
First BMW I ever drove was my dad's 1970 2500. I fell in love so in '72 I picked up a 2002 "for the little woman". Great little car! In some ways it was more fun than my 911.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:32 PM

It was designed by Lamborghini - the engine a beast for the time (BMW M88) and went on to power the M6. (Answer to DVJ - I forgot to quote - derp.)

Last edited by catswiththum; 05-09-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Ever see a 535iS? They only offered it for a couple of years, Basically, it was trimmed out like an M5 and had a tweaked suspension, not quite up to M5 specs. The engine was the basic SOHC six that the regular 535i (and 635CSi and 735i) came with. They didn't sell well at all but they were pretty nice. I wanted one as a demo but they were hard enough to sell without miles on them. Plus, the owner wanted a 7 Series in demo service so that's what I drove (when it wasn't out as a service loaner for some high roller).

First BMW I ever drove was my dad's 1970 2500. I fell in love so in '72 I picked up a 2002 "for the little woman". Great little car! In some ways it was more fun than my 911.
I almost bought a 535Is - the 533i was a bit better cared for, so I grabbed it. There are still a few Is models around here - a couple of really good and trustworthy independent BMW shops here - some nice old ones pop up for sale now and then.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
It was designed by Lamborghini - the engine a beast for the time (BMW M88) and went on to power the M6.
Actually, it was built by Lamborghini but it was designed by Giorgetto Giugaro of Italdesign, the same guy that designed the Audi Turbo Quattro.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Actually, it was built by Lamborghini but it was designed by Giorgetto Giugaro of Italdesign, the same guy that designed the Audi Turbo Quattro.
My bad - but then, YOU get to live in California - classic auto nirvana.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
My bad - but then, YOU get to live in California - classic auto nirvana.
I've only lived here for 15 years. In some ways I'm still an East Coaster at heart.

Anyway, I was wrong. Giugarro did indeed design the M1 but not the Quattro. He did design the original VW Scirocco though.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:49 PM

On a different track - here in Charleston, new/late model Maseratis are the going thing now for those with the means.

I know squat about them - the designs are good, and I imagine they will go - just wonder why they started popping up here in large #s.