Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:23 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
It's both. Additive-free tobacco is lethal too.
It may be worthwhile to compare this to another deadly legal drug, alcohol. Alcohol comes in many grades, from bottom of the barrel to top shelf. Rotgut, cheap booze is noticeable harder on your system than good stuff, resulting in worse hangovers. I would bet money it would destroy your body faster than good booze. Yet if you were to drink nothing but good booze, but did so everyday, you are still very likely to suffer from all of the problems alcohol brings with it. Ingesting a potential poison is still ingesting a poison. You may avoid some peripheral effects of the contaminant poisons, but the central poison is still there.

All tobacco (and in fact all alcohol, albeit to a much lesser extent) is carcinogenic, especially when smoked. There's still some debate about Swedish snus but in the end I bet it will turn out to be carcinogenic too. So you may avoid some added lung irritation from additives but the central risk you should be worried about is unchanged. Finding definitive scientific info on this will probably be next to impossible unless you can find a population that has been studied that smokes only additive free tobacco. I suspect only remote Indian tribes in Central and South America would qualify. However these people will generally gladly accept store-bought cigarettes. You would also have to correct for the fact that they probably breathe much less polluted air, exercise more, etc. Air pollution is probably a big part of the reason why lung cancer rates among smokers vary around the world, as are all sorts of other factors that contribute.

Cigars verses cigarettes and moderation don't leave me particularly worried but it is just common courtesy to not light up in many situations. I tend to believe that if I'm not somewhere I could openly have a beer, I probably shouldn't light a cigar.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:24 PM

Former smoker here. Finally quit for good after a stent. So this may color my opinions on smoking now, whether now smoke bothers me because I miss it or it is just nasty you decide. My take I see smoking as a nasty habit and see little to no difference in how tobacco is used or enjoyed. Just who are you fooling with that little machine with the oil? You are still smoking tobacco. Plus can you really trust what is in them.
So if in public spaces I have no problem keeping tobacco use away from others.

Barney
Old 02-02-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Finally quit for good after a stent.
I got 4.
My cardiologist used 3 aortic stents fixing my ruptured abdominal aorta aneurysm at John Muir Concord and a fourth was used on my femoral artery blockage at UCSF.

Carl
Old 02-02-2016, 05:21 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlV View Post
I got 4.
My cardiologist used 3 aortic stents fixing my ruptured abdominal aorta aneurysm at John Muir Concord and a fourth was used on my femoral artery blockage at UCSF.

Carl
Holy shit, man! Every day since then must seem like a miracle Carl.
Glad you're still here.

A friend who works on and plays stand up bass down here in the Southland had one or two stents installed and his jazz nightclub pallor disappeared overnight. He's still ripping apart old bass fiddles and fixing them and riding his Suzuki around town while in his early 70s.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I got 4.

Carl
Sure gives you a new look at life!

Barney
Old 02-02-2016, 05:59 PM

Yep, a gift indeed. Just scrubbing some veggies for dinner one day, and all of a sudden a monumental pain that is beyond description, dry heaving, and sweat just pouring out of me. Glad I didn't wait to see if it would get better or try to drive, I would have died for sure. I even got a card with part numbers and install date.

Carl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stebnt CardFrontRS.jpg (21.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-02-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Yep, a gift indeed. Just scrubbing some veggies for dinner one day, and all of a sudden a monumental pain that is beyond description, dry heaving, and sweat just pouring out of me. Glad I didn't wait to see if it would get better or try to drive, I would have died for sure. I even got a card with part numbers and install date.

Carl
Glad you made the right decision. Mine came about due to failing a stress test. No symptoms went thru the right wrist and did the work. Hated the new meds but I'm still around.

Laying off salt and sugar plus all that change of diet stuff too.

Was given a card also like that.

Barney
Old 02-02-2016, 07:57 PM
Persona non grata

I've lived pretty clean all my life as far as no smoking, regular exercise, and very little drinking, but I still had to get a couple of stents in my LAD last April. Didn't have much in the way of symptoms, just some tightening in my chest during exercise and coughing. I thought it was bronchitis and didn't go the the Doc for three months. When I did they found my LAD 100% blocked. That ordinarily causes the "Widowmaker" Heart attack, but the Doc said I had developed enough collateral circulation to avoid that. I attribute that to having exercised regularly since I was 15.

With my parents both dying of heart attacks at 45 and 53, I figure I did pretty good to go to 67 before I had to get that artery stented. Right now I feel great. I do a 2 mile trail hike almost every day and hit the free weight 2-3 times a week.

I do have one vice though. I loves me some greasy meat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BsNEz9qNZs
Old 02-02-2016, 07:59 PM

Awesome you didn't have a blow out. I didn't get a card for the one in my leg so I thought I was special. That's what I get for thinking. I've had 3 chemical stress tests for my heart and they have come out OK, thankfully.

Carl
Old 02-02-2016, 10:26 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:

Carl
That's pretty scary.

Isn't that what John Ritter died from?