Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundhound View Post
the problem with the economy is that the gap between rich and poor has to grown to such a point that the poor can no longer afford to buy all the crap the rich are trying to sell to them.

the costs of healthcare have driven our manufacturing base into the toilet. eliminate the insurance companies. they're all crooks. socialize medicine there, i said that ugly word). healthcare should not be for profit.

increase spending on education. a better educated workforce is more productive, and better qualified for the work.

decrease spending on wars. war is hell, and it is expensive.

legalize and tax drugs. i've read that 80 billion a year leaves our country and goes to support terrorism. this doesn't count the money that's being spent on drug enforcement.

change the laws that make it more profitable for industries to produce goods in china and other places instead of here in the US. that's a big reason why unemployment is so high. i can remember when "made in USA" meant something.

fine the hell out of businesses that are paying illegal immigrants. if there is no work here for them, they'll go home, americans will get those jobs.

break up all the big corporations. no company should be allowed to get so big that its failure will do significant damage to the nation's economy. for goodness' sake, that's what the sherman anti-trust act is for. use it.

too many people in this country are making money from investments. that's money for nothing folks! that money has to come from somewhere, it is coming from the poor people who have to pay more in order to cover the shareholders and it's coming from the workers who are having their benefits cut, being forced into early retirement, etc.

if you want to make money, work for it and save.
damn, i figured i'd get flamed for sure.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:56 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundhound View Post
damn, i figured i'd get flamed for sure.
Why? sounded pretty good to me.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:36 AM

Here's your flame bro.

"increase spending on education. a better educated workforce is more productive, and better qualified for the work."

We are overspending on education. Kids are stupid and have been given a free ride for so long that they don't feel the need to work or be smart, they're still entitled. Ever try to read what younger folks are writing? It's about as smart as ebonics, fail.

"the costs of healthcare have driven our manufacturing base into the toilet."

I don't buy that being the only reason. I may be wrong but I'll bet it's more regulations that harm manufacturing. The government has gotten so big that there are no more checks and balances.

I read the That's Outrageous column last night in Reader's Digest. In the last paragraph the author said that the people need to watch the politicians and what they are doing. WE CAN'T ANYMORE! It's hidden and no one has time to listen to any more than 15 second sound bites.

BTW, short of installing a bunch of old time farmers in DC, I have no idea how to fix the mess we are in. Just speculating like the rest.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:36 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinover View Post
Here's your flame bro.

"increase spending on education. a better educated workforce is more productive, and better qualified for the work."

We are overspending on education. Kids are stupid and have been given a free ride for so long that they don't feel the need to work or be smart, they're still entitled. Ever try to read what younger folks are writing? It's about as smart as ebonics, fail.

These stupid kids, are they my children or your children?
also,
I personally have never equated Ebonics with education but rather with culture. Are country folk less educated because they don't speak like a TV broadcaster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinover View Post
BTW, short of installing a bunch of old time farmers in DC, I have no idea how to fix the mess we are in. Just speculating like the rest..
What do you mean by old time farmers and why do you feel they would be of value now?
Old 06-19-2009, 07:55 AM
Resident octogenarian

To diverge slightly am I the only one who is offended by seeing Wall St. wrap themselves in the flag?
Old 06-19-2009, 08:44 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
To diverge slightly am I the only one who is offended by seeing Wall St. wrap themselves in the flag?
smart move on their part.

I think this country was headed for a class war as pointed out by soundhound (I believe I am accurately referencing him) in another thread and the wall street greed machine is a big reason.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:01 AM
Resident octogenarian

Hey a little bit of class warfare might relieve the boredom, torches and pitchforks anyone?
Old 06-22-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
This is a subject that is very close to all of us. How or what would you do to "fix" the economy ?

Grumpy
Quit sending money overseas, and make all the deadbeats here in the USA get jobs.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:27 AM
Resident octogenarian

I would legalize drugs, this would do several things;

1 Raise money for public works, health care, etc.

2 Starve the Mexican and Columbian drug lords.

3 Bankrupt the Taliban and Al Qaeda.

Anyone who wants to fry his brain on coke or meth is perfectly free to do so, drugs would be so cheap that they would not need to steal to support their habit.

Pushers would no longer have a profit motive to get young people hooked on drugs so eventually the market would dry up except perhaps for marijuana for people with terminal illnesses.

Drug war solved.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Resident octogenarian

What, no arguments?