Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:52 AM

Point/Counterpoint

An interesting read in the local paper.

http://www.dailydem.com/articles/200...n/opinion1.txt

Helen is a lady (emphasis on lady) residing in an assisted living facility in Ft. Madison, in her mid 80's and a guest columnist for the paper. I realize that she is referencing a "Right Wing" website, so I thought I would throw this up here to get opinions from the other side of the fence.

I'm here to learn not judge, so "What say you"
Old 09-30-2009, 10:03 AM

Sorry Man, I tried. I didn't get far:

"Everyone agrees that we desperately need health care reform"

NOT TRUE: As I've built a case for here, Republicans *DON'T* want health care reform. They use this line as an opener, always followed by "but". It's a lame attempt to say "we want to help, but this is just not the right way". Bull shit. They want everything to stay exactly as it is.

"but" (see?) "our Government has proven that it can't run anything successfully."

Wrong again. Medicade works well. Our millitary is the best on Earth. Nasa sent a man to the moon. Etc. etc. etc. I'm not sure why patriotic Americans put up with this "America can't do anything" crap. As a citizen of this great nation I'm offended by this tired line.

"Therefore, Obama's government run health care plan is highly unpopular."

And for the hat trick, a third lie. When pollsters actually ask on the issues in Obama's plan, cutting past the misinformation campaign, the ideas are all very popular. Either way, even by conservative polls, it's a close call. To call it "highly unpopular" is just inaccurate.

Sorry, I didn't read any further. It's like starting an article with "We all know Republicans are smart and Democrats are dumb..." Not going to be worth my while to read much further.

Take care,

Ed
Old 09-30-2009, 10:29 AM
Abby Normal

Well Iread the whole thing and decided to not even address it until you took the time to. It does not address health care at all, it simply using the term health care in order to confuse and distort the subject. That's why I did not even want to bother answering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post

Quote:
"but" (see?) "our Government has proven that it can't run anything successfully."

Wrong again. Medicade works well. Our millitary is the best on Earth. Nasa sent a man to the moon. Etc. etc. etc. I'm not sure why patriotic Americans put up with this "America can't do anything" crap. As a citizen of this great nation I'm offended by this tired line.

exactly. Big business is no more efficient, no less free of corruption and government is much, much, much, much, much, much, much , much fairer and has no "investor class" to keep rich. The idea that corporations are trust worthy and government not is , well bizarre.

Getting health care right is not hard. The reason we are not getting it right is because it takes away income from the investor class. That is the long and the short of it. Twist in the wind all you want but the bottom line is that the good heartland folks are scared of change and the people in power know it.
They scare them in every possible way to keep their gravy train at full speed.
Just as the Bush folks used to laugh at the born agains, the corporate folks are laughing at the right behind closed doors.

The irony is incredible.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:37 AM

Buddy, they ain't laughin' at the right. They're all in the same room having a good laugh on all of us.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:41 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
Buddy, they ain't laughin' at the right. They're all in the same room having a good laugh on all of us.
It is the well meaning scared of 2009 crowd that is their bitch.

Last edited by noonereal; 09-30-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:16 AM

Noon, could you define "Investor Class" as you use it?

My parents have reaped rather good return on their investments, helping to support their retirement. The wife and I have a small portfolio (got a lot smaller through recent years) but I continue to buy stocks every month. Yes, I do expect to make a profit on them, does that make us part of this class?

Some of these stocks are in the health care industry, as they were part of the wife's compensation package when she worked that industry. I read your signature line and say that makes sense, until I try to figure out how those of us invested in the industry will be compensated were we to take the profit out of health care?

I didn't address the article as I have not formulated an opinion yet. Call me ignorant, but I do not watch the news, or listen to talk radio, preferring to gather my info from citizens such as yourself. I do read 2 local papers, and my favorite section is the Opinion and Letters to the Editor section. You and others do not have to satisfy any clients, so your info is biased only by your personal feelings. This is much easier to contend with than those who let the almighty dollar determine what they have to say.

Personal experiance also influences my opinions, but I live soooo far below the radar, that I don't see much of the outside world. Fault that if you will, but that is my choice, and it harms no one.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spasmo55 View Post
This is much easier to contend with than those who let the almighty dollar determine what they have to say.
Wouldn't it be great if the almighty dollar didn't determine what health care you get or what treatments get denied?
Old 09-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Resident octogenarian

Well I read the whole thing, rolled on the floor llaughing my arse off knowing damn well the Shafly could not find hers with both hands and a flashlight. Ed covered all the salient points.

Just for giggles, I am certain many of you have worked for large corporations and small. Most of the small ones are good, then they get bought up by some large corporations and FUBAR'ed. So where are all the Enrons, etc. Private business eficciency? Don't make me laugh.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:23 PM

When did health care become a "right"?
Old 09-30-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
When did health care become a "right"?
I would say the day you were born, but most conservatives say it starts even before that. In fact, they insist on providing it for the unborn. It's just after they pop out they want to cut them lose. Hey, those babies should take some personal responsability!