Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Huh? Michigan's delegation in Congress has already started lobbying for $600 million in Federal dollars for a permanent fix for their problem (i.e., pipe replacement) by burying it in an energy policy bill.

http://blogs.rollcall.com/wgdb/michi...or-flint-aid//

The people of Michigan elected Snyder and his governing philosophy and chose to reap the benefits or pay the price of his budgetary decisions. Should US taxpayers also bail out Kansas for the stupid budgetary decisions of Brownback (the Flint problems also resulted directly from budgetary decisions)? The rich folks living in Grosse Pointe and other such wealthy enclaves put Snyder in power. Let them pay for it.

One can't bitch about Federal mandates and states rights (and run and win on such a platform) and then demand a Federal bailout when they (deceitfully) ignored said mandates under the cover of states rights. The Federal government should demand a fix by Michigan, but shouldn't spend a dime itself in its implementation.
But was Snyder only doing this to constituents he knew were politically opposed to him and also poor and black? Would he have made this decision for a wealthier white city? I understand what you are saying but he replaced the local Flint authorities with an emergency manager who took control over a city without an election. What if Snyder and Michigan don't want to bail out Flint?
Old 02-05-2016, 02:39 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
But was Snyder only doing this to constituents he knew were politically opposed to him and also poor and black? Would he have made this decision for a wealthier white city? I understand what you are saying but he replaced the local Flint authorities with an emergency manager who took control over a city without an election. What if Snyder and Michigan don't want to bail out Flint?
They have no choice. They're just trying to get the Federal government to bail them out for their own stupid, deceitful decisions.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Huh? Michigan's delegation in Congress has already started lobbying for $600 million in Federal dollars for a permanent fix for their problem (i.e., pipe replacement) by burying it in an energy policy bill.

http://blogs.rollcall.com/wgdb/michi...or-flint-aid//

The people of Michigan elected Snyder and his governing philosophy and chose to reap the benefits or pay the price of his budgetary decisions. Should US taxpayers also bail out Kansas for the stupid budgetary decisions of Brownback (the Flint problems also resulted directly from budgetary decisions)? The rich folks living in Grosse Pointe and other such wealthy enclaves put Snyder in power. Let them pay for it.

One can't bitch about Federal mandates and states rights (and run and win on such a platform) and then demand a Federal bailout when they (deceitfully) ignored said mandates under the cover of states rights.
As I said, the issue of replacing the pipes isn't part of this (our) conversation. Neither is it a necessary component of a responsible response.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this, Pat. If there were a way to make only those in Grosse Pointe pay the bill, I'd be all for it but the truth is they'll not pay for it at all. They won't be forced to pay higher taxes to cover it and they won't be required to pay more for their water. The costs will be passed to the people already harmed by Snyder and his goons. They'll get stuck with astronomical water bills and perhaps a city sales tax as well.

Last edited by Boreas; 02-05-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:56 PM

We should do a GWB and let MI fix it just like when he sat there and let his Texas cronies Enron bankrupt California so they could recall the Governor and put a a stooge with a name, like Arnold, in to gut Worker's Comp, cut grade school education, and last but not least pull the rug out from under the truly disabled(cut in home care in half). Oh, and give all that money into tax credits to the insurance industry.
Kinda like having the maid who is pregnant with your child taking care of your pregnant, also with your child, wife.

Carl
Old 02-05-2016, 03:33 PM
Persona non grata

$600 million bucks for water pipes?

For a city of 100,000?

That's $6,000 for every man, woman and child. $24,000 for a family of four.

WTF?

Are they going to trade in the lead pipes for gold ones?
Old 02-05-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post

For a city of 100,000?

WTF?

Not that I know anything about water pipes or how much it costs to put them in the ground.... But $ 6,000 per person doesn't sound so far off to me.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:04 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Not that I know anything about water pipes or how much it costs to put them in the ground.... But $ 6,000 per person doesn't sound so far off to me.
Then make the Koch Brothers pay for it.

They won't even notice $600 million being gone.

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...net-worth.aspx
Old 02-05-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Then make the Koch Brothers pay for it.

They won't even notice $600 million being gone.

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...net-worth.aspx

Didn't realize the Koch brothers had anything to do with the bad pipes. 😏
Old 02-05-2016, 05:50 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Didn't realize the Koch brothers had anything to do with the bad pipes. 😏
If the Republicans can blame everything on Obama, I can sure as Hell blame everything on the Koch brothers.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:

For a city of 100,000?

WTF?

Probably half of that will be pocketed by the insurance companies since plumbers pay some of the highest insurance premiums in the construction trade.