Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:56 PM
Area Man

So, to anyone who is unemployed; Is this you? Are you just a lazy bum looking to suck on the government teet?

http://www.examiner.com/x-51590-Cult...ng-hobos-VIDEO

I know different, but it would seem Republican lawmakers don't.

Dave
Old 06-27-2010, 12:44 AM

There's more than an element of truth to what the Republicans are saying.

Unemployment is paid by a tax levied on employers. Don't lay anyone off, you get a good rate (but you still pay), lay someone off and the rate goes way up.

Right now, I think all of the UE programs are bankrupt in all states. The politicians aren't pulling the money to pay for this out of their asses, they're pulling them out of my ass, and yours as well.

There are still jobs out there. You might wind up wearing the paper hat, but isn't that better than sucking the public tit dry?

Chas
Old 06-27-2010, 07:26 AM
Resident octogenarian

Sure there are/were jobs out there, just try getting one of tham after a certain age.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:12 AM
Area Man

I would do what I have to, to survive.

However;

Fuck the paper hat. And the useless wages that come with it.

I tend to think this is the plan; To deliberately hobble the economy every now and then and put people on their knees as a mechanism to keep wages and other costs down. When you're desperate, you'll work for anything you can get, right? Republican politicians love to go on about their "Pro-business" and "anti-labor" credentials all of the time, do they not? When unemployment is low wages rise, do they not? When there are plenty of good jobs employers start having a hard time "finding good help at what I pay.", don't they? Employees get a bit cockier, 'cuz they know they can just move on whenever the boss starts being a dick? And trust me, I've noticed on more than one occasion how "cocky" employers get when the economy is tight....Ooooo, Yes Lordy. Sometimes I might suspect they might even like it that way. They whip it out really fast, "You know there are a lot of folks desperate for work out there................", just before they start piling on the extra responsibilities, and eliminate things like c.o.l.a. raises and performance bonuses as my employer has recently done.

I think this is why Republicans hate "Safety nets", 'cuz it short circuits their stranglehold.
And most of the staunchest Republicans that I know are business owners. Are they not?

Maybe the small business owners don't have that kind of pull. They usually fall victim to a sour economy too. And that is tragic. I'll give you that.

But, the big boys certainly do. And the financial might to weather the storm to boot.
Sorry, if I made you angry, but that's how I see it. This is how the Corporatocracy keeps it's "boot on our necks".

The Dems may have sold out to the Corporatocracy to some degree, but the GOP IS the Corporatocracy IMO.

And, I would rather keep what I have, job wise. The pay is good and the benefits aren't bad. But those days are rapidly disappearing, aren't they?

Think it's an accident?

I don't.

What good will low unemployment be when people work, but still live in poverty anyways?

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 06-27-2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:24 AM
Resident octogenarian

Those big employers are sitting on $1.84 trillion in cold cash, do you think they are going to do any hiring brfore the November elections?
Old 06-27-2010, 10:43 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I would do what I have to, to survive.

However;

Fuck the paper hat. And the useless wages that come with it.

I tend to think this is the plan; To deliberately hobble the economy every now and then and put people on their knees as a mechanism to keep wages and other costs down. When you're desperate, you'll work for anything you can get, right? Republican politicians love to go on about their "Pro-business" and "anti-labor" credentials all of the time, do they not? When unemployment is low wages rise, do they not? When there are plenty of good jobs employers start having a hard time "finding good help at what I pay.", don't they? Employees get a bit cockier, 'cuz they know they can just move on whenever the boss starts being a dick? And trust me, I've noticed on more than one occasion how "cocky" employers get when the economy is tight....Ooooo, Yes Lordy. Sometimes I might suspect they might even like it that way. They whip it out really fast, "You know there are a lot of folks desperate for work out there................", just before they start piling on the extra responsibilities, and eliminate things like c.o.l.a. raises and performance bonuses as my employer has recently done.

I think this is why Republicans hate "Safety nets", 'cuz it short circuits their stranglehold.
And most of the staunchest Republicans that I know are business owners. Are they not?

Maybe the small business owners don't have that kind of pull. They usually fall victim to a sour economy too. And that is tragic. I'll give you that.

But, the big boys certainly do. And the financial might to weather the storm to boot.
Sorry, if I made you angry, but that's how I see it. This is how the Corporatocracy keeps it's "boot on our necks".

The Dems may have sold out to the Corporatocracy to some degree, but the GOP IS the Corporatocracy IMO.

And, I would rather keep what I have, job wise. The pay is good and the benefits aren't bad. But those days are rapidly disappearing, aren't they?

Think it's an accident?

I don't.

What good will low unemployment be when people work, but still live in poverty anyways?

Dave
You must be a skilled worker, because you just hit that nail squarely on the head.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 06-27-2010, 11:46 AM

So how long shall we extend unemployment benefits...forever?

Chas
Old 06-27-2010, 11:53 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

There are still jobs out there. You might wind up wearing the paper hat, but isn't that better than sucking the public tit dry?
No.

BTW receiving insurance is not sucking any tit.

That is offensive and shallow. (for the record I work for myself so I personally can't ever receive unemployment insurance)

I will say, I am beginning to understand Sarah's appeal to the wing nuts however.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
So how long shall we extend unemployment benefits...forever?

Chas
IMO, Until corporate profits become reasonable.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:11 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
IMO, Until corporate profits become reasonable.
Ditto.

Dave