Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:08 PM
Rational Anarchist

Being complete, never felt the need to join.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:24 AM
Mutated Member

AudioKarma: 49016 posts.
PoliticalChat: 3389 posts.

In my case, there is no requirement for further virtual social platforms.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:27 PM
Admin

The FTC is opening an investigation into facebook's shenanigans. Good.
It's about time that the wild, wild west of the intertoobz got some looking after.

Never joined them or the other one, I guess being a skeptical old crank has it's benefits after all.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
It's about time that the wild, wild west of the intertoobz got some looking after.

Never joined them or the other one, I guess being a skeptical old crank has it's benefits after all.
So Trump’s FTC is going to investigate whether Cambridge Analytica used FB data to help Trump’s campaign. Maybe I’m also a skeptic, but I just don’t see how this will result in anything that the American public can trust, given that Trump lies and covers up at every turn.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:56 PM
Ready

It's not exactly 'Trump's FTC,' at least not yet. The FTC is an independent agency, run by two commissioners, one Dem and one Repub. The Rerpublican, Maureen Ohlhausen, is acting chairman. She has a background in the agency and was appointed a commissioner by Obama, before Trump made her 'acting chairman.'

Trump is trying to 'promote' her to the Federal COurt of Claims. That nomination has been 'pending' in the Senate Judicary Committee. My guess is Trump or someone wanted a puppet who hates the FTC in the job.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
So Trump’s FTC is going to investigate whether Cambridge Analytica used FB data to help Trump’s campaign. Maybe I’m also a skeptic, but I just don’t see how this will result in anything that the American public can trust, given that Trump lies and covers up at every turn.
At least he lies transparently! I'd much rather have someone that is so open, or not sophisticated enough, that it's obvious than someone that hides their positions.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post

But you're missing out on all the fun. I still can't understand that the same motivations do not apply to government regulators. They can be, and are, just as duplicitous as those in the private sector. Who regulates the regulators? Facebook ought survive or not based on market forces and not the whims of the government bureaucrats.

PS: How's the shoulder?
Old 03-28-2018, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
It's not exactly 'Trump's FTC,' at least not yet. The FTC is an independent agency, run by two commissioners, one Dem and one Repub. The Rerpublican, Maureen Ohlhausen, is acting chairman. She has a background in the agency and was appointed a commissioner by Obama, before Trump made her 'acting chairman.'

Trump is trying to 'promote' her to the Federal COurt of Claims. That nomination has been 'pending' in the Senate Judicary Committee. My guess is Trump or someone wanted a puppet who hates the FTC in the job.
Is one puppet necessarily better than another or does it just coincide with whom happens to share your beliefs? The problem occurs because those granted power only want to sustain their power. IMHO, that is what is wrong with bureaucracies—they are self-aggrandizing.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:07 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
Is one puppet necessarily better than another or does it just coincide with whom happens to share your beliefs? The problem occurs because those granted power only want to sustain their power. IMHO, that is what is wrong with bureaucracies—they are self-aggrandizing.
Inanimate objects aren't self-aggrandizing. Trump, OTOH, is.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:13 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
Can you give examples to support your opinion? Or is it just part of your fantasy myth world?