Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-05-2021, 12:16 PM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
That's got a ring to it. I like it. "Like" as in that's what we should call them.
Indeed, those living in SIN would be known as Sinners.
Old 10-05-2021, 02:02 PM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
I think the Whigs had already died. The point is, third parties never win. To win, you have to be the major party on your side of the political spectrum, and not have significant minor party competition there. So your aim cannot be to just be an 'alternative' third party, if you hope to win. You have to aim to become a major party. You basically have to seek the destruction of one of the majors, if two already exist.
The northen wing of the Whigs morphed into the Republican party thus saying farewell to the party's southern wing, resulting in a stronger party. Being a third, finnbow's Know Nothings were not a threat to fill the temporarily vacant two spot. In other words, the Whig party was not destroyed or killed.

The GOP is here to stay. It survived Nixon and thrived. It survived Trump and is still thriving. These angry blue cries for it's demise serve to reinforce it's strength.

Last edited by nailer; 10-05-2021 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-05-2021, 03:56 PM

I wouldn't say the party's survived tRump, at least not yet. I'd wait till after the 2022 elections to make that call. Besides, everything Donny touches turns to caca. It may be just a matter of time.
Old 10-07-2021, 04:01 PM

As a stunning new report reveals Trump’s threat to democracy, Republicans shrug

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...blicans-shrug/

Government of the people, by the people, for the people...

Nope, not according to Repubes.
Old 10-07-2021, 05:13 PM

In politics its a well know fact that the primary objective (and with some the only objective) is to get reelected. So what's new?
Old 10-07-2021, 06:52 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
In politics its a well know fact that the primary objective (and with some the only objective) is to get reelected. So what's new?
What's new is the utter abandonment of all restraint of democratic norms, and the law.
Old 10-08-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
What's new is the utter abandonment of all restraint of democratic norms, and the law.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 10-08-2021, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Agreed. But their electorate is more interested in theatrics and have no interest in governance and therefor it works. Sad, truly sad state of affairs.

Last weekend a Trumper friend who I know well stopped by at the house and I asked him why his cult is still displaying T-2020 flags and don't they know the elections are over and certified. He said he is not sure the election results are reliable and this needs to be further investigated (this after the AZ farce). I said it would make no difference, the election is certified. I then asked him "can't you see that your guy cannot govern at all, he creates chaos and mayhem daily, cannot put a competent cabinet together, so why do you want him for another four years?". Blank look and stony silence and at that point I knew the conversation had ended, not something he wants to talk about. This guy has two degrees, in engineering and law.

Last edited by Rajoo; 10-08-2021 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-08-2021, 12:49 PM

Just read this on a column.

Quote:
T.S. Eliot wrote that the world ends "not with a bang but a whimper,” but I fear our great nation is careening toward a third manner of demise: descent into lip-blubbering, self-destructive idiocy.

How did we become, in such alarming measure, so dumb? Why is the news dominated by ridiculous controversies that should not be controversial at all? When did so many of our fellow citizens become full-blown nihilists who deny even the concept of objective reality? And how must this look to the rest of the world?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...-america-dumb/
Old 10-08-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
Agreed. But their electorate is more interested in theatrics and have no interest in governance and therefor it works. Sad, truly sad state of affairs.

Last weekend a Trumper friend who I know well stopped by at the house and I asked him why his cult is still displaying T-2020 flags and don't they know the elections are over and certified. He said he is not sure the election results are reliable and this needs to be further investigated (this after the AZ farce). I said it would make no difference, the election is certified. I then asked him "can't you see that your guy cannot govern at all, he creates chaos and mayhem daily, cannot put a competent cabinet together, so why do you want him for another four years?". Blank look and stony silence and at that point I knew the conversation had ended, not something he wants to talk about. This guy has two degrees, in engineering and law.
Trump supporters like your friend that are demonstrably intelligent prefer to believe the lie rather than own up to supporting morally bankrupt, unethical Republican politicians like Trump and others of his ilk.

They WANT to believe the lie!