Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Really? I thought it was an excellent movie on a very rough topic. It may be the only movie I've seen in a theater where every single person walked out completely silent at the end.

If you're interested in another movie on the same topic, but done in a completely different, even comedic style, check out the Italian film "Life is Beautiful." Great, entertaining and heart-warming flick.
Make no mistake, it's a very well made movie, one of the best movies ever filmed, it stirs the soul, it stabs the conscience relentlessly. Art.....offensive and disturbing is art at it's best.

I'll check out "life s beautiful". Thanks
Old 04-06-2017, 05:56 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPots View Post
schindlers list.

One of the most horrid and offensive movies I've ever seen.
Please verify. Everyone (except the extra-deplorables) finds the holocaust horrid and offensive. But you found the movie--it's plot, characters, depictions--horrid and offensive?
Old 04-06-2017, 06:13 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPots View Post
Make no mistake, it's a very well made movie, one of the best movies ever filmed, it stirs the soul, it stabs the conscience relentlessly. Art.....offensive and disturbing is art at it's best.

I'll check out "life s beautiful". Thanks
OK, missed this reply while writing mine. So now I understand. The List is pretty rough. Basically accurate, though dramatized of course. BTW, I suggest you NOT watch 'Night Will Fall,' now avail on Netflix. Lots of very graphic footage from when they opened the camps and had to bury huge piles of bodies...

BTW, in your sig line, don't forget Muslims....
Old 04-06-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post

BTW, in your sig line, don't forget Muslims....
Thank you.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:33 AM
Loyal Opposition

I watched a 25 year old movie on Netflix: The Commitments. It is a nice opportunity to relax for a couple of hours and just be entertained. In case you haven't heard of it, its a fictional story about an effort to put together a blues and soul band in Dublin in the late 80's. It offers plenty of comic relief and some good music. I had seen bits and pieces of it before, but it was nice to enjoy it all in one sitting.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:40 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I watched a 25 year old movie on Netflix: The Commitments. It is a nice opportunity to relax for a couple of hours and just be entertained. In case you haven't heard of it, its a fictional story about an effort to put together a blues and soul band in Dublin in the late 80's. It offers plenty of comic relief and some good music. I had seen bits and pieces of it before, but it was nice to enjoy it all in one sitting.
The lead in the film, Glen Hansard, was the leader of the band The Frames as well as half of The Swell Season and the guy behind the film and Broadway play Once. All good stuff.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:08 PM

The strangest movie I've ever seen, "The forbidden room" on Nexflix. Yet I was mesmerized.....
Old 05-24-2017, 01:17 PM
Loyal Opposition

I've been on a concert video kick recently - not sure whether that belongs in the music thread or the movie thread. In any event, last night I watched Neil Young's Rust Never Sleeps. It is a 1979 video of his tour in support of the album of the same name. Young is at the top of his game showing his licks as an acoustic performer and as the Godfather of Grunge. The energy he and Crazy Horse put into the electric portion of the show put the focus where it should be - on the music - rather than on the poor quality video. There is enough video there to show that he and Crazy Horse are on a mission to rock the world. It makes me lament once again missing Neil on tour at around the same time because of a case of laryngitis.

The set and the between-song performances of the "Road Eyes" is cheesy but fun.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:48 PM
Jigsawed

War Machine

First day on Netflix.

An Afghan villager in Helmand province pleads to the General McChrystal character: Please leave now.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:49 PM
Admin

'Sully' with Tom Hanks