Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:10 PM

Well, I'm no fan of FOX and think they are a real problem. And I'm sure a case could be made that they give maniacs like this some kind of affirmation. But there are more direct statements that I think are more offensive, and in the light of today's events, I hope people will see why we thought they were inappropriate at the time.

First of all, Sarah Palin's gun target map, one of which targeted Giffords, doesn't look so innocent anymore. We all said at the time that it suggested something more than defeating those Democrats politically. I hope now people can look back and say, yes, we probably shouldn't use that kind of symbolism when "targeting" political opponents.

Second, when Sharron Angle talked about a "Second Amendment Solution" a lot of us though that was going too far. There's no question that she emboldened people who think it's a perfectly reasonable option to take up arms against those they disagree with politically. I'm not sure that what happened today isn't exactly what she was calling for.

I'll keep an open mind until I read more. I've been building a fence all day so haven't seen anything on TV. But I'll be shocked if we don't find out over the next few days that this guy was indeed some right wing nut case who is all bent out of shape about illegals. And the irony will be lost on many. Shooting people is illegal. What part of illegal doesn't he understand? If you want to change the political landscape in the United States, that's fine, but *do it legal!*.

I once said on here that some of us liberals get uncomfortable around red necks with guns because every now and then one of us ends up dead. I was told that was silly and I wasn't being realistic. Well, maybe not.

Sad day.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:18 PM

“We need to realize that the rhetoric, and the firing people up and for example, I'm on Sarah Palin’s ‘targeted’ list, but the thing is, the way she has it depicted, we’re in the crosshairs of a gun sight over our district. When people do that, they’ve gotta realize that there are consequences to that action.”
~~U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords

Now that's a little haunting.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

The GOP's strategy of describing Democratic policy positions in existential, even apocalyptic, terms seems to have consequences. However, it's their strategy for capturing the white, middle (and lower) class vote. If a few people get killed in the process, so be it.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:40 PM
Abby Normal

How many people on the right will play the game, "what do you mean Fox and teabag talk is responsible?"

On 911 everyone new we were under attack by the radical Moslem's, today we all know that moderate and progressive Americas are under attack by teabags.

It is time for the "real" real Americans to fight back.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:54 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Where is Rod Serling when you need him?
Old 01-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post

why do you need him?

and I hope sarah is arrested for her roll in this
Old 01-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
why do you need him?

and I hope sarah is arrested for her roll in this
Don't hold your breath. Her indignation resulting from people even thinking she had a role in inciting this will make her even more popular. There's no such thing as bad publicity for people like her. She's the Paris Hilton of politics after all.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Do any of you think that for a moment that the GOP along with their operatives and enablers will have a cathartic moment and start toning down their 2nd Amendment reactionary rhetoric? I don't. They will certainly protest loudly against anyone thinking that their rhetoric incites this sort of shit, but they won't halt for a minute.
I can imagine that the news from FOX will be reminiscent of the shootings at Virginia Tech. You will have Hannity and O'Reilly saying that something like this should not bring in to question any type of gun control regulation and that it is the act of a crazed individual. Albeit, an individual that was likely enraged/excited due to the latest right movement of the Tea Party that FOX proclaimed as a grass roots movement to establish smaller government.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
How many people on the right will play the game, "what do you mean Fox and teabag talk is responsible?"

On 911 everyone new we were under attack by the radical Moslem's, today we all know that moderate and progressive Americas are under attack by teabags.

It is time for the "real" real Americans to fight back.
OK, I'll play it.

Fox News, Sarah Palin, the Tea Baggers, the VRWC, ect. had nothing to do with the actions of this wacko.

If you view the crapola he has posted to the net, I think about the only conclusion that can be truly drawn is that the shooter is mentally ill.

Chas
Old 01-08-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
It's getting pretty uncivil here at the Kos.

Chas