Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-15-2023, 12:56 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
I will note, looking at history, that there appears to be exactly zero interest in the Republican party in actually reducing the deficit, let alone balancing the budget. They just portray this as a crisis when they can blame it on the Democrats.

Indeed not. In power, the GOP consciously does things they know will balloon the deficit only to wail like banshees about the deficit when they are not. It is as disingenuous as it is tiresome and predictable.
Old 02-15-2023, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Indeed not. In power, the GOP consciously does things they know will balloon the deficit only to wail like banshees about the deficit when they are not. It is as disingenuous as it is tiresome and predictable.
Makes sense when considered the goal to be bankrupt the country in order to force elimination of entitlements, such as SS and Medicare.
Old 02-15-2023, 01:49 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Makes sense when considered the goal to be bankrupt the country in order to force elimination of entitlements, such as SS and Medicare.

That is exactly the play and has been so for decades.
Old 02-15-2023, 03:15 PM

Quote:
That is exactly the play and has been so for decades.
That is how short sighted and selfish along with just plain ignorant. In foolishly thinking it is a good idea no consequences in doing so. Burning down the house down to also then be thinking it will still be a place to live comfortably.
Old 02-15-2023, 03:37 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
That is how short sighted and selfish along with just plain ignorant. In foolishly thinking it is a good idea no consequences in doing so. Burning down the house down to also then be thinking it will still be a place to live comfortably.

Feckin’ nihilists. Nearly 25% of the entire national debt — that took over 200 yrs to accumulate — was added by the Trump administration. How did Congress respond? They lifted the debt ceiling 3 times without preconditions.
Old 02-15-2023, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Feckin’ nihilists. Nearly 25% of the entire national debt — that took over 200 yrs to accumulate — was added by the Trump administration. How did Congress respond? They lifted the debt ceiling 3 times without preconditions.
That misleading trope has already been disproven once in this forum. I guess it takes repeating the facts a few more times before it gets through...

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...-quarter-of-t/
Old 02-15-2023, 08:55 PM
Admin

Quoted from your link, Mike.

"IF YOUR TIME IS SHORT
• Biden’s number is accurate; about one-fourth of the total debt incurred to date came on Trump’s watch."
Sounds like everything that comes after that is horsecrap. What I don't get is why you reflexively defend the naranja nitwit.

Oh well.
Old 02-15-2023, 09:07 PM
Admin

"Our ruling
Biden said that "one quarter" of today’s $31.4 trillion federal debt "was accumulated in the four years of my predecessor."

His number is accurate, but the figure leaves out important details and context..." blah, blah, blah

Old 02-16-2023, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Quoted from your link, Mike.

"IF YOUR TIME IS SHORT
• Biden’s number is accurate; about one-fourth of the total debt incurred to date came on Trump’s watch."
Sounds like everything that comes after that is horsecrap. What I don't get is why you reflexively defend the naranja nitwit.

Oh well.
The key part of the article that you conveniently omitted:

A key point that Biden glossed over is that much of the current federal debt stems from mandatory payments, such as those for Social Security and Medicare. These began spiking when the baby boom generation started drawing heavily from these programs around 2010. Not coincidentally, that’s when the federal debt began accelerating.

Generations of politicians in both parties approved and modified these programs long before Trump took office.

"It is always challenging to figure out how much spending was on whose watch," said Steve Ellis, president of the federal budget-watching nonprofit group Taxpayers for Common Sense.

Similarly, the biggest single spikes in the federal debt came from the initial rounds of coronavirus relief legislation in 2020. Trump signed them, but they passed with broad bipartisan support.

Why are you lying, Bob?
Old 02-16-2023, 10:27 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
The key part of the article that you conveniently omitted:

A key point that Biden glossed over is that much of the current federal debt stems from mandatory payments, such as those for Social Security and Medicare. These began spiking when the baby boom generation started drawing heavily from these programs around 2010. Not coincidentally, that’s when the federal debt began accelerating.

Generations of politicians in both parties approved and modified these programs long before Trump took office.

"It is always challenging to figure out how much spending was on whose watch," said Steve Ellis, president of the federal budget-watching nonprofit group Taxpayers for Common Sense.

Similarly, the biggest single spikes in the federal debt came from the initial rounds of coronavirus relief legislation in 2020. Trump signed them, but they passed with broad bipartisan support.

Why are you lying, Bob?
Why did you omit the real truth that was right in front of your face in your own link? You really have this nasty habit of lying directly and/or by omission. I guess you've had good teachers in the rightwing swill you so easily swallow.

PS Doesn't the Catholic church call that a sin?