Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-07-2022, 11:37 PM
Admin

Started watching Ken Burns 'The War' tonite, seemed appropo considering what's happening in Europe right now.

Sorry for the threadcrap Barney.
Old 04-08-2022, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Started watching Ken Burns 'The War' tonite, seemed appropo considering what's happening in Europe right now.

Sorry, for the thread crap Barney.

Another great offering from Mr Burns.
Old 09-04-2022, 11:18 PM
Ready

Speaking of TV, an interesting campaign in the Culture War is unfolding now. The massive "The Rings of Power" prequel to "The Lord of the Rings" has premiered on Prime. It's good, as a LOTR fan going back to my teens, I like it. But is has become the target of right wing review-bombing. Rising up like hordes of orcs, legions of trolls and bots are seeking to cancel the series with bad ratings on Prime and IMDB.

The reason: the series features a diverse cast, so, (horrors!) we see black and brown elves, hobbits, dwarves, and men! It is pitiable and ridiculous, if you can accept an elf in the first place, it seems a smaller ask to take in a black elf. But this is the fight they are making. This has happened before; Amazon had to screen the ratings of 'A League of Their Own' because of a similar review-bombing effort.

If you are so inclined, you might drop by IMDB and fight back the Shadow by giving 'The Rings of Power' a 10.
Old 09-05-2022, 06:43 AM

We watches episode one a few days back.
Yes well done and interesting.

Been many years since reading the novels. So needing to work on the remembering the history. Story and names....
Old 09-05-2022, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Speaking of TV, an interesting campaign in the Culture War is unfolding now. The massive "The Rings of Power" prequel to "The Lord of the Rings" has premiered on Prime. It's good, as a LOTR fan going back to my teens, I like it. But is has become the target of right wing review-bombing. Rising up like hordes of orcs, legions of trolls and bots are seeking to cancel the series with bad ratings on Prime and IMDB.

The reason: the series features a diverse cast, so, (horrors!) we see black and brown elves, hobbits, dwarves, and men! It is pitiable and ridiculous, if you can accept an elf in the first place, it seems a smaller ask to take in a black elf. But this is the fight they are making. This has happened before; Amazon had to screen the ratings of 'A League of Their Own' because of a similar review-bombing effort.

If you are so inclined, you might drop by IMDB and fight back the Shadow by giving 'The Rings of Power' a 10.
If the Reich-Wingers are against it, then it has just become must see Tee Vee.
Old 09-05-2022, 08:36 AM
Ready

The Rings of Power story is the story of Tolkien's 2nd age, only alluded to in the LOTR novels. It's over 3000 years long, so it's being compressed a lot in the series. Plus the writers are inventing storylines that Tolkien did not, such as the stranger landing in a meteor. About the only thing a reader of LOTR is going to remember is the names of a couple of immortal elves, Elrond and Galadriel. But if you've been a serious student of Tolkien's other writings, you are likely as not upset about things the show is doing 'wrong.' All of which matters not to the review bombers, they are triggered by race issues.
Old 09-05-2022, 11:07 AM

It's a shame that some folks can't enjoy entertainment just for entertainment's sake.

I've tried before but never gotten into the LOTR story line. If one has never read/watched LOTR previously, would they be at a disadvantage watching the Amazon series?
Old 09-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Must see TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
It's a shame that some folks can't enjoy entertainment just for entertainment's sake.

I've tried before but never gotten into the LOTR story line. If one has never read/watched LOTR previously, would they be at a disadvantage watching the Amazon series?

Dunno, but the books are fabulous. I am lukewarm about the movies though.

Last edited by finnbow; 09-05-2022 at 09:02 PM.