Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:05 PM

"Indecent Acts" with Animals Cochran Speech

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/victor...b_5494999.html

Do not know if he is serious or joking but he looks sorts of like he has dementia to me. Who would say something like that and then double down on it like his audience was aware of what he really meant?. He is done I think.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:04 PM

GOP Candidate Faces Walking Dead Challenger In Race

I guess there is a Zombrie fringe too lol

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...p_ref=politics
Old 06-27-2014, 02:06 PM

I guess I should used the term incumbent instead of challenger.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:26 PM

Goper Debunks Climate Change!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5568058.html

we can all breathe easier....

I cannot remember the last time it rained where I live.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:27 PM

You could not make this shit up if you tried.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:58 PM

Call Jerry Brown For Advice

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...p_ref=politics

I heard some schools had to get rid of whole grades. As in 4th grade not report cards.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:06 AM
Area Man

[QUOTE=Tom Joad;215717]Been there, done that.

Fuck States Rights.

Whenever a bagger uses the term "states rights" I know he is using it as an excuse to act like an asshole and this is the picture that pops up in my minds eye.

Exactly. Did some reading up on the Civil Rights movement lately. JFK hesitated to send federal forces into Alabama in 1961, to protect "Freedom Riders" because he was afraid it would be seen as a usurpation of "States Rights". But he ultimately came to the realization that the state government was so corrupt as to be in bed with the KKK......so he had no choice, he had to act to ensure the safety of the riders and others there to support them as Americans first.

States Rights, carried to extremes, can and have been disastrous in the past.

At what point does the federal government step in and break the will of a tyrannical state government, to protect the rights and well-being of individual American citizens?

That is the question we should be asking.

But, half the country seems to see it backwards. They want to protect the bigots, the ruthlessly greedy and the bullies. It's their "Patriotic Duty", I hear.

Dave
Old 07-10-2014, 12:41 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Exactly. Did some reading up on the Civil Rights movement lately. JFK hesitated to send federal forces into Alabama in 1961, to protect "Freedom Riders" because he was afraid it would be seen as a usurpation of "States Rights". But he ultimately came to the realization that the state government was so corrupt as to be in bed with the KKK......so he had no choice, he had to act to ensure the safety of the riders and others there to support them as Americans first.

States Rights, carried to extremes, can and have been disastrous in the past.

At what point does the federal government step in and break the will of a tyrannical state government, to protect the rights and well-being of individual American citizens?

That is the question we should be asking.

But, half the country seems to see it backwards. They want to protect the bigots, the ruthlessly greedy and the bullies. It's their "Patriotic Duty", I hear.

Dave
There are two possibilities for the Federal Government 'stepping in.'

You've got Article 7 of the Constitution, which includes the 'Guarantee Clause:'
Quote:
The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government
There Supreme Court punted the only time a case on this came to them, in the 1840's, saying what is 'republican' is a political question, to be decided by Congress. Or, perhaps, by the executive? I don't see the basic definition as being so controversial;: a defacto representative democracy. The federal government laid out in the Constitution would be an example.

The other, of course, would be the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment. But frankly I like the Guarantee Clause in the case of a rogue, tyrannical government, as opposed to a basically OK government that is just overreaching in a particular area.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:06 AM
Area Man

Article seven addresses constitutional ratification.

"The Ratification of the Conventions of nine States, shall be sufficient for the Establishment of this Constitution between the States so ratifying the Same."

Dave
Old 07-10-2014, 01:10 AM
Area Man

Ah, article 4.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/articleiv

"Section 4.

The United States shall guarantee to every state in this union a republican form of government, and shall protect each of them against invasion; and on application of the legislature, or of the executive (when the legislature cannot be convened) against domestic violence."

There it is.

The United States can intervene to act against domestic violence. I take that to mean that in the event of violence perpetrated, allowed or deliberately overlooked by a corrupt state government, as in the case in 1961 Alabama, the Feds can intervene.

JFK was in the right and all of these asshats who have been crying about it ever since don't know what they are talking about, as usual.

Excellent.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 07-10-2014 at 01:25 AM.