Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:16 AM

Ford CEO: U.S. plant expansion is 'vote of confidence' in Trump

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/03/news...ump/index.html

Ford is canceling plans to build a new plant in Mexico. It will invest $700 million in Michigan instead, creating 700 new U.S. jobs.

...but Finn doesn't think any of this is "sustainable".
Old 01-03-2017, 11:26 AM
Persona non grata

Old 01-03-2017, 11:36 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Smoke and mirrors.

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/02/op...ml?ref=opinion

Big industry recognizes full well that the way to Trump's heart is (insincere) flattery. Give him credit for what you're planning to do anyway and he'll sing your praises (until you do something he doesn't like and he'll compare you to the devil). Details of the Carrier deal still haven't been released and the SoftBank deal was culminated a month before the election. BTW, Ford still intends to expand its manufacturing in Mexico, announcing at the same time that the next-generation Ford Focus will be built at an existing facility there to save on costs.

The only thing sustainable here is Trump taking credit for stuff he has nothing to do with and your willingness to buy into his attention-grabbing BS.

Last edited by finnbow; 01-03-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:10 PM

Finn's flailing continues.

Item One: In an effort to counter a post about news from today, Finn posts an OPINION piece from yesterday.

Item Two: Finn says "The only thing sustainable here is Trump taking credit for stuff he has nothing to do with." Of course, Trump took no credit for Ford's decision to change its Mexico plans. No evidence that Finn read the CNN-Money article I posted, but if he did, he might have seen the following:

Ford (F) CEO Mark Fields said the investment is a "vote of confidence" in the pro-business environment being created by Donald Trump. However, he stressed Ford did not do any sort of special deal with the president-elect.

"We didn't cut a deal with Trump. We did it for our business," Fields told CNN's Poppy Harlow in an exclusive interview Tuesday.

In other words, Trump was not involved directly or indirectly in the decision - making process. Ford's CEO, however, did cite the anticipation of a better business climate under Trump as part of their decision-making process. So, Finn, this was not like Carrier in any way, so you'll need to explain why you chose to reference it in this thread.

Item 3: Once again, for a non-Democrat, Finn fearlessly recycles Dem talking points, even when they don't apply.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:14 PM

Flattery and advertising on Ford's part. They are catching on.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:43 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Of course, Trump took no credit for Ford's decision to change its Mexico plans.
Then, why his tweet "@DanScavino: Ford to scrap Mexico plant, invest in Michigan due to Trump policies" when Trump has implemented exactly zero policies thus far? It takes a special kind of stupid to believe that Ford made a $1.6 billion dollar business decision based upon one of many mendacious Trump campaign promises. They only thing they knew for certain is that they could give Trump a big woody by flattering him and giving him credit for something he had nothing to do with.

Quote:
So, Finn, this was not like Carrier in any way, so you'll need to explain why you chose to reference it in this thread.
You're the one who brought up my "unsustainable" comment made in reference to the Carrier deal (the details of which still have not been made public, BTW). It remains to be seen if the Trump administration is successful in creating jobs at a pace equal to that of Obama. Time will tell.

I guess I'm just a bit more skeptical than you or Joad when it comes to reveling in the Wonders of Trump. Given his proclivity to lie and take credit for anything positive, a healthy dose of skepticism is warranted. Your attempts to convince the rest of us take Trump's self-serving claims at face value (like you obviously have) is highly entertaining though.

Last edited by finnbow; 01-03-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:22 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/03/news...ump/index.html

Ford is canceling plans to build a new plant in Mexico. It will invest $700 million in Michigan instead, creating 700 new U.S. jobs.

...but Finn doesn't think any of this is "sustainable".
PT Barnum was talking about you when he said, "There's a Sucker born every minute".
Old 01-03-2017, 03:21 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
PT Barnum was talking about you when he said, "There's a Sucker born every minute".
It's going to eat you up inside when Trump takes office and starts doing good shit.

I'm gonna enjoy watching your meltdown.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:39 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
It's going to eat you up inside when Trump takes office and starts doing good shit.

I'm gonna enjoy watching your meltdown.
Trump will be in breach of contract with GSA on his DC hotel the instant he's inaugurated. It'll be fun to watch what happens there.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:23 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Trump will be in breach of contract with GSA on his DC hotel the instant he's inaugurated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hWpGcg5J-0