Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-08-2020, 07:53 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waggs098 View Post
Any shooting I have heard of I have never blamed the gun, has never crossed my mind. The problem is it takes a person to pull the trigger. Somehow some people don't understand that though.

A person can take a car and drive through a crowd of protestors and no one blames the car they rightfully blame the person in the car. Guess it's just a difference of opinion that will never change.
It's not a matter of 'blaming' the gun. It's a matter of how can we keep, say, a school full of kids safe from a person, whom we would surely blame, from pulling the trigger? One way would be for him not to have a trigger to pull. A compromised way is to at least have it be the trigger of a less-dangerous weapon.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
... and you object when people say guns are no more than toys to some gun owners?
I suppose someone who only has a gun to go out and shoot clay targets, it could be considered a toy. If used to hunt for meat it could be considered a tool. If used to kill someone or for self defense it could be considered a weapon.

One point lots of people say is get rid of assault weapons. If I pick up a stick and beat someone with it I have assaulted them therefore the stick has become an assault weapon.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Is it not true that in most states one can possess a firearm without a permit?

No licenses or training?

I know of two states round me that are pretty much open season on bearing arms. All one needs is to pass a background check. Still can go to a gun show and pick one up with ease....

See any problem there?
Honestly I could handle a one time low cost permit for life long gun ownership. But if it were to turn into something like constantly registering a vehicle or going in every so often for a new license I would disagree, which is where it would end up im guessing.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
One point lots of people say is get rid of assault weapons. If I pick up a stick and beat someone with it I have assaulted them therefore the stick has become an assault weapon.
Great, Zippy. Now go try to kill a bunch of innocent school kids with your stick. Or try to kill a bunch of innocent concert-goers from a hotel room in Las Vegas. Or...

Your idiotic arguments never really make any sense at all, Zippy.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
Great, Zippy. Now go try to kill a bunch of innocent school kids with your stick. Or try to kill a bunch of innocent concert-goers from a hotel room in Las Vegas. Or...

Your idiotic arguments never really make any sense at all, Zippy.
Ok fine I drive a car through a crowded sidewalk. Now the car is an assault weapon. I take a machete and and hack up 5 people before someone with a gun stops me the machete is an assault weapon and the gun is a defense weapon.

More analogies and that's all they are if you don't understand it then I'm sorry.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:47 AM
Ready

Quote:
I suppose someone who only has a gun to go out and shoot clay targets, it could be considered a toy. If used to hunt for meat it could be considered a tool. If used to kill someone or for self defense it could be considered a weapon.

The limit of physical exhaustion, if nothing else, will make an assault stick much less if a danger to the public than an assault rifle.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Honestly I could handle a one time low cost permit for life long gun ownership. But if it were to turn into something like constantly registering a vehicle or going in every so often for a new license I would disagree, which is where it would end up im guessing.
As it should, why not exactly?
Why shouldn't proven competency to possess an inherently dangerous weapon be a renewable requirement?
Old 08-08-2020, 12:59 PM

There is a system of licensing and permits and fee's for many a thing in this country.

Motor vehicles plumbers electricians accountants medical field the list goes on and on.

I have stated before and still stand by my firm belief. The main reason behind the opposition to stronger laws for firearms ownership is the fear by many in they would not pass the scrutiny.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
There is a system of licensing and permits and fee's for many a thing in this country.

Motor vehicles plumbers electricians accountants medical field the list goes on and on.

I have stated before and still stand by my firm belief. The main reason behind the opposition to stronger laws for firearms ownership is the fear by many in they would not pass the scrutiny.
The reason people like plumbers electricians and anyone in medical has to renew anything is because rules in their field constantly change. New equipment, new theories, new requirements. It's called continuing education. What about guns ever changes? I suppose you could throw in a motor vehicle license since you need to see and control the vehicle properly , when you get older that's harder to do. Same with guns but how many old people do you see carrying guns around every day, much less being irresponsible with them.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
The reason people like plumbers electricians and anyone in medical has to renew anything is because rules in their field constantly change. New equipment, new theories, new requirements. It's called continuing education. What about guns ever changes? I suppose you could throw in a motor vehicle license since you need to see and control the vehicle properly , when you get older that's harder to do. Same with guns but how many old people do you see carrying guns around every day, much less being irresponsible with them.
What changes is mental competence in many individuals. Young men who develope delusional paranoid schizophrenia for instance, older folk that mentally deteriorate and lose discernment and judgement skills. Folks that demonstrate trustworthiness thru antisocial/ criminal behavior.