Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
I didn't have to wait long, did I?
My we are touchy. You will note that I said they lied and that I did not make any comparisons between the three systems. Though I will note that to the best of my knowledge no one in Canada ever had to file bankruptcy due to medical expenses.

If someone can come up with a valid argument for the Electoral College I would be happy to hear it. In some states the electoral votes are apportioned according to the popular vote, reasonably fair within the margin of rounding error. In other states it is first past the post; if a candidate gets 50.1% of the popular vote he/she gets all the electoral votes. In effect the other 49.9% of the voters were just dis-enfranchized. This is fair?

If someone has a copy of the naturalization oath please post it. It has been more than 18 years and my memory is a little vague on the part where naturalized citizens swear they will never criticize the system.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Loyal Opposition

At the time the constitutional amendment lowering the voting age to 18 passed, we still had a draft. A point often made was that individuals were old enough to fight and die for their country, but not old enough to have a say in who sent them there. Some fair logic there, if you ask me.

Nowadays, 18 is old enough to make a personal decision to join the military. That is a decision that will seriously impact the life of the individual and people around him or her.

I think the largest participation in voting by young people is among college students. I know that Obama energized the college-aged voters in a big way. The past two years of obstruction has likely caused dis-interest among many of those idealistic voters. I hope that doesn't have a lasting effect, because I still have hope that more members of my sons' generation will go forward with an idea that they need to think beyond their own needs and wants to the needs of the country their neighbors and their world. Mine know that they will be subjected to more excruciating lectures if they forget that principle.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I think the largest participation in voting by young people is among college students. I know that Obama energized the college-aged voters in a big way. The past two years of obstruction has likely caused dis-interest among many of those idealistic voters. I hope that doesn't have a lasting effect, because I still have hope that more members of my sons' generation will go forward with an idea that they need to think beyond their own needs and wants to the needs of the country their neighbors and their world. Mine know that they will be subjected to more excruciating lectures if they forget that principle.

Regards,

D-Ray
In a way, I have a problem with this. In effect, college kids (who are already dependent on Mom and Dad) further get to vote on how the government will spend Mom & Dad's money.

OTOH, the money that's being spent is actually being borrowed from the Chinese for repayment by future generations. What goes around comes around.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
In a way, I have a problem with this. In effect, college kids (who are already dependent on Mom and Dad) further get to vote on how the government will spend Mom & Dad's money.

OTOH, the money that's being spent is actually being borrowed from the Chinese for repayment by future generations. What goes around comes around.
I dunno. My kids work 20 hours per week during the school year, and full time in the summer, so they are taxpayers too. They are likely to be paying interest on the deficit for the remainder of their working lives as well. I am just grateful that they didn't spend their blood for the benefit of Haliburton.

OK, I'll show one of my biases here. Your comments have much more credence with respect to most of the frat boys and sorority girls - unless they are members of Phi Zappa Krappa.

Regards,

D-Ray

Last edited by d-ray657; 11-02-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
I dunno. My kids work 20 hours per week during the school year, and full time in the summer, so they are taxpayers too. They are likely to be paying interest on the deficit for the remainder of their working lives as well. I am just grateful that they didn't spend their blood for the benefit of Haliburton.
As do mine, but in their tax brackets, they get it all back come April 15. BTW, my oldest two kids (20 year old daughter, 22 year old) are interested in current affairs, politics, history, etc., but haven't wanted to vote yet. They still feel (wrongly, might I add) that their engineering studies haven't left them with time enough to be adequately informed on the issues. That, and they are thoroughly disgusted with the political system as it stands. I think they're afraid that any politician who got their vote would be encouraged to keep up the silly BS that got them elected.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
As do mine, but in their tax brackets, they get it all back come April 15. BTW, my oldest two kids (20 year old daughter, 22 year old) are interested in current affairs, politics, history, etc., but haven't wanted to vote yet. They still feel (wrongly, might I add) that their engineering studies haven't left them with time enough to be adequately informed on the issues. That, and they are thoroughly disgusted with the political system as it stands. I think they're afraid that any politician who got their vote would be encouraged to keep up the silly BS that got them elected.
C'mon Finn! They will not get all of their tax dollars back, unless they weren't taxed for Social Security and Medicare. How many times do I have to tell people that those are taxes too?!

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-02-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
frat boys ... sorority girls ... Phi Zappa Krappa.
What are these?
Old 11-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
C'mon Finn! They will not get all of their tax dollars back, unless they weren't taxed for Social Security and Medicare. How many times do I have to tell people that those are taxes too?!

Regards,

D-Ray
Yeh, but these taxes are put in a lockbox.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_Karl View Post
What are these?
You won't get an objective description of the frats and sororities from me, but Phi Zappa Krappa was an anti-fraternity fraternity inspired by a poster of Frank Zappa sitting in the loo. For some understanding of the class lines drawn by the frats, watch Animal House.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Yeh, but these taxes are put in a lockbox.
The guy who said that didn't get to take office.

Regards,

D-Ray

Tags
election, rights, vote, youth