Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:49 AM

Cool Why the heck would I vote?

I'm 18 years old, and as most everyone knows 18-24 are the age category most likely not to vote in elections. I'm probably not gonna vote in 2012 and I really don't care. Right now I get that I need to vote to let my voice be heard exercise my right people died for, be in control of my life, and blah blah blah. I've tried to rationalize why I don't feel like voting and I've come to the conclusion to why I don't wanna vote and maybe why lots of younger adults don't either. The reason we don't vote is because we don't get to pick a candidate. If you think about it you can get into voting for primaries and other things and how actually yes our votes do pick a candidate but really no we don't, at least not my generation. First off there's no candidate that can truly relate to us, to be president you have to be at least 35 but the youngest ever elected was 42, how is my generation suppose to relate to someone who grew up without "Family Guy" or the Internet? Your laughing right now but its not a joke if you think about it no one in my generation had even heard of Barack Obama before the millions of dollars kicked out by sponsers started spreading his name all over the media and in no way did someone from my generation have a say in that. Basically its the baby boomers and generation X picking candidates and saying "here, these are the people you can vote for." Why the heck would I vote for that?
Old 11-02-2010, 04:53 AM
Area Man

When I was eighteen I couldn't wait to vote, or join the Navy.
I voted in '82 and didn't even know who to vote for. I just voted Republican because my mother told me to. Then in '84 I voted for Reagan, 'cuz at the time, I liked the guy, and thought only Republicans had a clue.

Then, I had a long talk with my Dad................................

The age argument is a stupid one. You won't be eighteen forever, and everyone who is fifty today was once eighteen. Get the picture?

Anyhow,
It's called a sense of duty.
People died for your right to vote.
Now get off of your ass and get to the polls.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 11-02-2010 at 04:56 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:57 AM
Administrator

I understand your way of thinking. You do have some valid points. Like you, when I was you age, I felt the exact same way. Then I hit my mid 20's and realized that no matter how broken the system was, It was still my duty to vote.

Fast forward to last night. My wife and I are basically having this same conversation about how powerless our votes are. We both hate every candidate on the ticket. I convinced her that voting is the right thing to do.

I know this does not answer your question but I hope it lets know that your not alone.

Grumpy
Old 11-02-2010, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
People died for your right to vote.
If you're going to use that argument then you also have to accept that people died for your right to choose not to vote as well.

Also:
- People dont always die for the right things. Do I really need to give you an example?
- I, nor he, asked those people to die for anything. So, we should not be bound by any such contract.
- Those people were trained to die for the status quo (excepting revolutionaries and non-government troops). The fact that that may include representative democracy in some cases is a mere byproduct.
- You should not assume what individuals wanted to die for just to back up your own view of what people should do. I find that quite offensive.

Last edited by Brother_Karl; 11-02-2010 at 05:18 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:49 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtycommy View Post
I'm 18 years old, and as most everyone knows 18-24 are the age category most likely not to vote in elections. I'm probably not gonna vote in 2012 and I really don't care. Right now I get that I need to vote to let my voice be heard exercise my right people died for, be in control of my life, and blah blah blah. I've tried to rationalize why I don't feel like voting and I've come to the conclusion to why I don't wanna vote and maybe why lots of younger adults don't either. The reason we don't vote is because we don't get to pick a candidate. If you think about it you can get into voting for primaries and other things and how actually yes our votes do pick a candidate but really no we don't, at least not my generation. First off there's no candidate that can truly relate to us, to be president you have to be at least 35 but the youngest ever elected was 42, how is my generation suppose to relate to someone who grew up without "Family Guy" or the Internet? Your laughing right now but its not a joke if you think about it no one in my generation had even heard of Barack Obama before the millions of dollars kicked out by sponsers started spreading his name all over the media and in no way did someone from my generation have a say in that. Basically its the baby boomers and generation X picking candidates and saying "here, these are the people you can vote for." Why the heck would I vote for that?
good post. Frankly I think voting at 18 is inappropriate to begin with. The age was 21 until 1971. As people live longer they also take longer to "grow up". As a result I believe most age restrictions should rise, like driving.
As to you not having anyone running that understands you I totally agree. There are 4 senators in their 80s, 23 are in their 70s presently. How they can possible represent you is indeed ridiculous. IMHO

However your last statement is bogus. You have every bit as much opportunity to effect who runs as do baby bloomers or X folks.

BTW no one your age or my age heard of Obie until he was funded. That's how it works.

So you are half right and half lazy in your disillusionment of our political process and your own perceived disenfranchisement.

if it was up to me the way we vote would be significantly different but it's not so I do what I can rather than do nothing.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:58 AM

We feel the same as you Dirtycommy. Neither party is really gonna do us
any favors. You have to look past the candidates to see what the party
stands for. One would like to make us all equal and faceless while the other
would like you give you an opportunity to make something of yourself. Not
really that simple but it seems so at times.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:02 AM
Resident octogenarian

Frankly, at 18 few people know enough to blow hot soup so it may be just as well they don't vote.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Frankly, at 18 few people know enough to blow hot soup so it may be just as well they don't vote.
Well that's a pretty sucky attitude. Maybe they should raise the voting age to 60 when people finally know everything
Old 11-02-2010, 07:19 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchetJack View Post
We feel the same as you Dirtycommy. Neither party is really gonna do us
any favors. You have to look past the candidates to see what the party
stands for. One would like to make us all equal and faceless while the other
would like you give themselves an opportunity to make egregious profits. Not
really that simple but it seems so at times.
I fixed it for you.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:19 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Well that's a pretty sucky attitude. Maybe they should raise the voting age to 60 when people finally know everything
I was way smart at 40.

Tags
election, rights, vote, youth