Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Here is the twist, the pharmaceutical sales people are the ones that primarily educate the doctor about the pills. How is that for a conflict of interests.
An' then good ol' Dr Kronkhite gets a nice little "honorarium" for all of 'em he pushes on folks...
Old 06-13-2009, 11:55 AM

Pharmaceutical Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Here is the twist, the pharmaceutical sales people are the ones that primarily educate the doctor about the pills. How is that for a conflict of interests.
Well, my neighbor is a drug dealer. Not the dime bag type, he drives around in a Vette with his golf clubs in the back, treating doctors, hospital administrators, etc to a game of golf, a nite at the Ritz, and picks up the tab with his company Amex card. I don't think he educates them as much as he bribes them.

Interestingly enough, about a year ago the pharmaceutical companies decided that it looked bad with them handing out all of those freebies to the medical profession. So they decided to cut back on the free pens, cups, and the other goodies...like the free PDR they gave my wife (RN). They were reforming themselves.

Funny thing is, I haven't noticed my neighbor's Vette setting still for any length of time. And he makes DAMN good money.

Chas
Old 06-13-2009, 12:05 PM

Oh, my dad was a high muckety-muck where he worked, we got all manner of boodle & swag when I was a kid-Pens, pencils, cups, trinkets, paperweights, all kinds of junque like that...The only kid who had more was a buddy of mine whose daddy was the doctor...
Old 06-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Resident octogenarian

That sometimes has an advantage, the heart specalist that saved my wife by changing her BP medicine gave her about a two month supply from the drug company's handouts. Mind you I know how they can afford to hand out all that stuff. In late 2004 when she started on it it was $300 for a 90 days supply, in January this year that same 90 day supply was $475.

Last night I was watching all the 'experts' debate health care, what a bunch of maroons. At the start they admitted that we spend twice what the other industrializd countries do, and we don't cover everyone, plus in comparison it is disease care not health care. Then when they talked about covering the 47 million who have no insurance they say "But how can we afford it?" Duh, well if we are spending twice what the countries do that cover everyone . . .
Old 06-13-2009, 01:58 PM

The Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
That sometimes has an advantage, the heart specalist that saved my wife by changing her BP medicine gave her about a two month supply from the drug company's handouts. Mind you I know how they can afford to hand out all that stuff. In late 2004 when she started on it it was $300 for a 90 days supply, in January this year that same 90 day supply was $475.

Last night I was watching all the 'experts' debate health care, what a bunch of maroons. At the start they admitted that we spend twice what the other industrializd countries do, and we don't cover everyone, plus in comparison it is disease care not health care. Then when they talked about covering the 47 million who have no insurance they say "But how can we afford it?" Duh, well if we are spending twice what the countries do that cover everyone . . .
When I was a kid, we had three or four doctors in this podunk little town. The one we used had one nurse, and himself. You'd go see him, he'd look your over, poke a cigarette in his mouth, tell you what was wrong with you, give you a sack full of those free pills, and you were out the door. And people just paid him, didn't really need insurance.

A few years back, my Dad slipped on the ice, fell down, and split the back of his head open on the sidewalk. It really wasn't that bad.

So we took him to the emergency room just to be safe, we were worried about a concussion. I'll bet we dealt with at least ten different people, set around for an hour or so. Finally a doctor shows up, spent about a minute, said don't worry about a concussion, but the cut needed stitches.

Then some intern who looked like he was about 12 yrs old came in, and sewed my poor dad up. This kid couldn't sew a button on a shirt, I suppose he had to learn, but Jesus Christ, this was costing real money, and the service was miserable.

Now I don't know whether to blame the medical profession, the drug companies, the insurance companies, or the government...so I'll blame 'em all.

What we need is a bunch of Doc's with a cigarette hanging out of their mouths who want to be doctors, and not millionaires. And get rid of the people who are just trying to get a piece of the action.

Chas
Old 06-13-2009, 02:43 PM

Amen, Charles ! I've gotten I dunno how many bills from this Doctor's Group or that Medical Association for all the "consulting" work they did when I had my Bariatric Surgery back in Feb...Most of these jokers I never even saw-and don't remember many of the ones I DID see, I was pretty well high the whole time I was in there. But ever one of 'em wants at least $250-300 for stickin' his nose in the door-and God Bless Blue Cross-for some reason, almost NONE of this "consulting" is covered, don't meet deductible, haven't met the deductible, blah blah feckin' blah...Its ALL a big gawdam racket, if you ask me. OTOH, I've had relatively few problems from this operation, & have lost so far, 105 lbs, so I spose its been worth it...
Old 06-13-2009, 03:56 PM

105 lbs???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Amen, Charles ! I've gotten I dunno how many bills from this Doctor's Group or that Medical Association for all the "consulting" work they did when I had my Bariatric Surgery back in Feb...Most of these jokers I never even saw-and don't remember many of the ones I DID see, I was pretty well high the whole time I was in there. But ever one of 'em wants at least $250-300 for stickin' his nose in the door-and God Bless Blue Cross-for some reason, almost NONE of this "consulting" is covered, don't meet deductible, haven't met the deductible, blah blah feckin' blah...Its ALL a big gawdam racket, if you ask me. OTOH, I've had relatively few problems from this operation, & have lost so far, 105 lbs, so I spose its been worth it...
I'm impressed, you're doin' good. I could stand to lose 50, but it ain't gonna happen if I keep poppin' the tops on these Silver Bullits. I prefer Heineken, but it has too much horsepower.

Back when we were poor, and I mean dirt poor, my wife wound up with a couple of surgeries, once without insurance, and once with lousy insurance. To tell the truth, unless you have really good insurance, you're almost better off without it.

It's amazing the bloodsuckers who come crawling out of the woodwork. The pathagoligists? (can't spell for shit) were the one's that really got to me. I didn't see that they did anything other than send me a bill. I'll skip the $10 asprins and the $20 plastic piss pot.

Anyway, both times I wrote them a form letter, filled in their names, and how much I was going to send them each month. And we paid them off.

As to the lousy insurance we had. The insurance company said that we had been overcharged, and applied what they said was a fair charge to the deductable, which was everyone but the hospital, and paid them off. By the way, they were in cahoots with the hospital. In other words, we were stuck owing four separate people at the same time.

When I queried the young lady for the insurance company on the phone, as to why they did what they did, she said, "Well, we saved you a lot of money. Actually, we saved ourselves a lot of money."

Well, I'll give her points for honesty.

Finally, after a few years, the rest of them gave us the rate which the insurance company said was fair. Thank God.

When we had no insurance, we got the good rate from the get go.

Something out there stinks.

Gimmie Doc Gallagher with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth.

Chas
Old 06-13-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post

We have a close friend who has COPD and diabetes as well as a thyroid condition. The meds to treat all that ailed him amounted... to more monthly than his SSI. As a Korean War Vet and meeting income qualifications...he was accepted at Vet's for treatment and pays a small co-pay for meds. Get this...it was suggested he continue to carry insurance.
It will be very interesting to see how O'Bam Bam carries off the insurance dilema.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Resident octogenarian

The problem he is facing in fixing health care (and BTW, we have disease care, not health care) is the brainwashing that has been done to the hoi poloi. I still see that barking idiot Boehner on TV "Do you want some government type making decisions your doctor should be making?" What a load of bovine excrement, doctors don't make these decisions today, Aetna, US Healthcare, and the other insurance companies make them based on profit margins.

So do I believe we will see health care reform? No, quite frankly I don't and never mind the "it will be another 16 years before we get the chance again" as we will not survive as a nation for 16 more years if we SNAFU this one. We spend twice what other nations do and get lousy health care. It is predicted to rise exponentially. If 65% of bankruptcies today are medically related, what exactly do you propose doing with a nation where 99% of its citizens are bankrupt? Who is going to drive our consumer driven economy when there are no consumers except the super rich?

Oh yeah, one more comment about that hypocritical SOB Boehner, he does not seem to mind the government making decisions regarding women and their doctors.

Last edited by merrylander; 06-14-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
Just had another one of those miserable things burn out. Personally, I don't think that they're saving me enough money to pay for themselves. Used to buy commercial service 130V bulbs, and they lasted every bit as long.
They are pieces of garbage..... They dont light as well,its un-natural light,etc.......

I will keep using traditional bulbs as long as I can as they are the best and always have been!!