Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:26 PM
Jigsawed

Citizen X.

The story of Andrei Chikatilo, a serial killer with a tally of 52 women and children. This occurred in the Soviet Union 1979 thru 1990.

Communists party officials hampered the investigation by asserting that serial killers only existed in the west.

Donald Sutherland, Stephen Rhea.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:16 PM

Atomic Blonde.
Action packed adaptation peppered with 80s kraut rock. Having just left Germany during the time frame, found it quite enjoyable.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:35 AM
Loyal Opposition

The Experimenter

A biopic about the experimental psychologist who did an obedience study. The study conducted over 2 years with hundreds of subjects, resulted in 65% of the subjects inflicting what they believed to be painful and dangerous shocks. Most objected to the instructions they were being given during the experiment, but bowed to pressure from the authority figure. The author of the study, Stanley Milgram concluded that it provided insight into why individuals would commit atrocities in totalitarian regimes. The study has been controversial, but included in numerous psychology textbooks.

Today, Trump has pardoned a fascist former sheriff, once again showing his fondness for authoritarians. Will most people follow orders if this presidency degrades into an authoritarian regime?
Old 08-27-2017, 04:34 PM
Admin

The Farthest--Voyager in Space by PBS (2017)

Get your space geek on and spin some Chuck Berry

The Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan

"Consider again that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam".

Last edited by bobabode; 08-27-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:53 PM

Wind River.
Mature themed serious story of justice in which a professional game tracker and a rookie FBI agent investigate the rape and death of a young native American woman.

Last edited by Pio1980; 08-27-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:31 PM

Dunkirk. Beautifully done. The nazi bastards are never seen, only their war machines at a distance. Thrilling Spitfire scenes from the pilots' perspectives. You will be cheering every time they are able to shoot down a German plane, preventing their evil carnage on hospital ships, civilian boats, and defenseless soldiers lined up on the beaches. No John Wayne heroism, just a highly realistic view of ordinary soldiers trying their best to survive, and ordinary civilians doing their best to rescue them.

It's impossible not to think about the current idiot neo nazis, and the idiot in chief's refusal to properly define them while watching this.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...l-film/534252/

Nolan has made the film using practical effects rather than CGI whenever possible—he even spent $5 million on a vintage Luftwaffe plane in order to crash it—and the difference is palpable. Rarely has the beauty of aerial flight (or the unpleasantness of its failure) been captured so vividly.

Last edited by Chicks; 08-27-2017 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:58 PM
Ready

Since it was a fascist aggressor Luftwaffe plane, I'll forgive him. But don't tell me if he crashed any Spitfires.

Odd movie--funny combination of beautiful realism and cinematic tricks, including hopping around in time, and the trick where one guy named Tommy becomes symbolic of hundreds of thousands. Understated--very British actually. I wasn't quite sure how much to like it, but it's growing on me rapidly.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:04 PM
Admin

'Destination Tokyo' '43 w/ Cary Grant and a slew of fresh faced kids on TCM.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destination_Tokyo
Old 09-08-2017, 09:22 PM
Admin

'The Trees' A documentary about the forest planted at the WTC Memorial in NYC on PBS. Very cool. http://www.pbs.org/video/treasures-n...trees-preview/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...ial_%26_Museum

Last edited by bobabode; 09-08-2017 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:43 PM
Ready

Wind River. Bleak and hard cop thriller. I don't know if breathing hard in sub-zero cold can really have the effect shown, but some guys could have gotten away with murder because of it. Mainly because in general no one cares that much about dead Indian girls. FBI girl did, however.