Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:06 PM
Loyal Opposition

Free Speech????

Here is a thought provoking article from a Columbia University professor of journalism.

If free speech is only available for acceptable ideas do we have free speech at all? Interested in some diverse thoughts here.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:29 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

With regard to conservatives bitching about restricting free speech on campuses, one has to unfortunately draw some sort of line for bigoted provocateurs (Coulter, Milo, Richard Spencer) who are there to simply to see if they can incite a negative reaction. All the better if it's violent or reflects poorly on the halls of academia (over 70% of Republicans believe that higher education is bad for the country).

If conservatives chose to send thoughtful people as opposed to these dangerous cretins, I'd be more receptive to their whining. As it is, I think absolutely nobody should show up other than the Alt-Right cretins and let them have their circle-jerk hate fest. The rest of us could laugh at then and pile upon them all the scorn and ridicule they so richly deserve.

Last edited by finnbow; 08-17-2017 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
With regard to conservatives bitching about restricting free speech on campuses, one has to unfortunately draw some sort of line for bigoted provocateurs (Coulter, Milo, Richard Spencer) who are there to simply to see if they can incite a negative reaction. All the better if it's violent or reflects poorly on the halls of academia (over 70% of Republicans believe that higher education is bad for the country).

If conservatives chose to send thoughtful people as opposed to these dangerous cretins, I'd be more receptive to their whining. As it is, I think absolutely nobody should show up other than the Alt-Right cretins and let them have their circle-jerk hate fest. The rest of us could laugh at then and pile upon them all the scorn and ridicule they so richly deserve.
That is what it amounts to, scorn and ridicule. That is what you get when you have no logical counter to their points, just emotion.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:52 PM

As to the OP's question. I have no opinion about college campuses and the historic directions they have taken.

But, when you have Google, Facebook, PayPal, overtly censoring and other publicly traded companies censoring through advertising boycotts you have changed gears.

If it supports your position now, what about when it inevitably doesn't down the road somewhere.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:52 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post

As I have expressed before, the best response to offensive communication is better communication. Unfortunately, the capitalist pigs at the advertising agencies are sickeningly effective. That is why dark money, empowered by Citizens United is so worrisome.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:55 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroJunk View Post
That is what it amounts to, scorn and ridicule. That is what you get when you have no logical counter to their points, just emotion.
In your world, do people go around talking like robots, or do they show emotion?

Emotion does not preclude logic. But I've noticed that people make logical arguments, and often people who feel strongly, and are committed, just don't care. That s another reason for the resort to emotion, besides the case of not having any logic.

The above is a logical argument.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
In your world, do people go around talking like robots, or do they show emotion?

Emotion does not preclude logic. But I've noticed that people make logical arguments, and often people who feel strongly, and are committed, just don't care. That s another reason for the resort to emotion, besides the case of not having any logic.

The above is a logical argument.
If your logic will not stand on it's own what does it say about your logic ?
Old 08-17-2017, 11:02 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
As to the OP's question. I have no opinion about college campuses and the historic directions they have taken.

But, when you have Google, Facebook, PayPal, overtly censoring and other publicly traded companies censoring through advertising boycotts you have changed gears.

If it supports your position now, what about when it inevitably doesn't down the road somewhere.
I find it interesting that you are concerned about the power of capital to influence the narrative. It seems to me that the power of capital in the hands of amoral industrial titans has held sway for years and years. To the extent that economic power is wielded by individuals with some social conscience, that is a step in the right direction. It remains to be seen whether that social conscience also extends to the regular working stiff.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:04 PM
Ready

Quote:
If your logic will not stand on it's own what does it say about your logic ?
Are you saying it doesn't stand? Why?
Old 08-17-2017, 11:07 PM
Admin

Quote:

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of what the First Amendment means.
Google, Facebook, PayPal aren't governmental entities and as such are not required to serve as a platform inimical to their business. Ask a lawyer if you don't believe me.