Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:54 AM
Area Man

"The Men who Built America"

Anybody else watching this History Channel series? Just saw the first one which covers Vanderbilt, Scott, and Rockefeller. Next up, Carnegie and Frick.

So, far it's pretty good. It points out the accomplishments and valuable contributions of these men, but doesn't gloss over the fact that they could also be extremely ruthless tyrants. ( I wonder if they'll bring up Fords interactions with the Nazi Party?)

Those of you who've conversed with me here for a while know I absolutely hate the deification of historcal figures. I want the whole picture, warts and all. Some people these days can't handle knowing their heros were imperfect human beings.

Anyhow, I was just curious to see if anyone else is watching.

Regards,
Dave
Old 10-21-2012, 03:04 AM
Admin

I caught a little bit of it tonight, Vanderbilt. I'm sure it'll be around and around and around again. I would be happy if they dug him and his cohorts bodies up and threw 'em in a burn barrel with a road flare or two but then I've been drinking. I've read too much about the Gilded Age probably. Start the bonfire with Jay Goulds sorry ass.

Cheers, Bob
Old 10-21-2012, 07:16 AM

The only thing different about the old Gilded age and the coming Gilded age is that the wealthy felt some obligation to give a little back to the commons. Libraries, schools, charitable foundations, museums, etc... I don't see Romney or any of the 1% doing that today.

I will probably watch the series on Uverse On Demand.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:03 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrr View Post
The only thing different about the old Gilded age and the coming Gilded age is that the wealthy felt some obligation to give a little back to the commons. Libraries, schools, charitable foundations, museums, etc... I don't see Romney or any of the 1% doing that today.

I will probably watch the series on Uverse On Demand.
Google "Romney charitable donations" and tell us what you find.

Do the same for Bill Gates.

You may find this interesting... http://www.businessweek.com/interact...dual_2008.html

Last edited by JJIII; 10-21-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:08 AM

I started to watch and then spit out my drink when that crazy coot from GE showed up.

The series is just election propaganda similar to Atlas Shrugged II. Note that it ends Nov. 3.

Here is an excerpt from the show summary:
Quote:
The event series will show how these men took a failed experiment in democracy and created the greatest superpower the world has ever seen. We see how their historic achievements came to create the America of today.
We are supposed to believe that America was a failure until those assholes came along? Puh-leaze.

The History Channel is an A&E property and A&E is a joint venture of Disney/ABC and Hearst Corp.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post

You may find this interesting... http://www.businessweek.com/interact...dual_2008.html
We did approach Gates asking for help with Covenant House. Wegot told to get lost. Seems CH is not in Africa.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:57 PM
Area Man

Quote:

Yeah, Im aware of that. When Romney actually "creates" as many jobs as Carnegie or Vanderbilt did and pays more taxes, by percentage, than I do............then he might get some respect from me. Until then, he can go f--k himself.

I like Bill Gates quite a bit more than Romney. Gates and his wife do a lot to support public education.

I don't like Romney at all and his Randian Objectivist running mate even less.

Regards,
Dave
Old 10-21-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:

Here is what I found on Romney for 2011:

1. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints: $4,781,000
2. Brigham Young University: $525,000
3. The United Way: $177,000
4. Right to Play: $111,500
5. The George W. Bush Library: $100,000
6. Operation Kids: $85,000
7. Center For Treatment of Pediatric MS: $75,000
8. Harvard Business School: $70,000
9. City Year: $65,000
10. Deseret International: $50,000
Weber State University: $50,000

Tithing to the Mormon church is not charity it is a requirement to keep his position, as a bishop, in the church. Plus, these "charitable" donations are tax deductible in most cases. Money out to make you look good; money right back in in the form of tax deductions. Even more disgusting if you consider he pays half the tax rate that I do.

Mittens charitable donations are pretty minuscule considering he claims he is worth $250 million which is a joke. If we actually saw all his tax returns I bet you would find he is a billionaire that does the good American thing and hides his money offshore.

There are some very good wealthy people out there that have pledged to give most of their money to charity.

http://nonprofit.about.com/gi/o.htm?...ingpledge.org/

That is a good list but not very long.

Funny thing is a banner ad for Chinese made Levis popped up on top of the page when I opened it.

I give to charity and I volunteer some of my time to help folks that do not have it as good as I do. I wonder if Mittens would like to help me feed the people, down on their luck, Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner this year, at the Salvation Army. I doubt he would return my call.

Bill Gates, we can save that discussion for a time when I have more time. Sure, he is very wealthy, but how did he get there.

I just read through his and his better half's charitable donations. It seems international concerns get the most money. He has an interest in building international markets for his crap operating system. To answer your obvious question I do not run any micro$lop software and never will.

GET YOUR CRAPPY WINDOZE 8 UPGRADE FOR ONLY $300.00. IT IS MUCH BETTER THAN THE OLD CRAPPY WINDOZE 7. SORRY WE FICKED YOU WITH VISTA. DAMN KIDS.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:05 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
I started to watch and then spit out my drink when that crazy coot from GE showed up.

The series is just election propaganda similar to Atlas Shrugged II. Note that it ends Nov. 3.

Here is an excerpt from the show summary:

We are supposed to believe that America was a failure until those assholes came along? Puh-leaze.

The History Channel is an A&E property and A&E is a joint venture of Disney/ABC and Hearst Corp.
Oh, you mean the guy who sees halving the size of a great company and leaving enough unemployed in his wake to populate a small country as "success"? His mere existence and standing in the business community is evidence of just how ass backwards twisted the American business model has become. We lionize and seek to emulate those who destroy and disenfranchise thousands in the name of creating excessive wealth for a relative handful.

Yeah, THAT'S a sure path to a bright future......................

Regards,
Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 10-21-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:52 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Venture capitalists generally consider closing a company a failure.

Pete