Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Abby Normal

LMAO!!!!!!!!!

That is the best reply I have had here, thanks.

Clearly I think much different than most posters here, what ya gonna do.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:35 AM
Resident octogenarian

The whole historical reasons why government got involved in welfare makes for interesting reading. Growing up in a small town in Quebec, it was started by my uncle and another gentleman, we did not have 'welfare'. When one of our neighbours got into difficulty everyone pitched in and haelped. It was just what you did, no questions asked.

In bigger cities life was more impersonal and it fell to various organizations to pick up the slack. Unfortunately, many of these organizations were of a religious nature and tended to only help their own kind.

This was where government stepped in, but begrudgingly and so did a half-assed job of it. As has been noted above regarding fishes and fishing, they gave out the fishes but not the lessons in how to fish. Sometimes to do a job right it takes $$$ and the pols did not want to spend the $$$.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:14 PM

Work-fare not welfare.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Resident octogenarian

Oh right, I believe everyone should (be able to) work.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
The image of welfare and the reality of it seem to never cross paths.
QFT

Civil societies have always taken care of their most vulnerable citizens. With that sentiment, I'm all for some kind of safety net.

The current system is a cluster f&ck with plenty of abusers (Can you blame them though? When have you passed on an easy give-away?) But it is small thinking to assume that all recipients are undeserving.

I bet we could purge the truly undeserving from the roles, fund more careful screening and oversight for those who truly need help, and still save a lot of money.

I think thought that we should start by purging companies off corporate welfare and wasteful military contracts. They are truly less deserving.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:06 PM

Depends on where you live. Me, I'm in MA. There are some mighty tough restrictions on what used to be called "welfare".
First of all, there's a five-year lifetime limit. After you use it up, you're out. Done. No more.
Second, "welfare" is only a couple hundred dollars a month, tops... not usually enough to cover rent, never mind food, fuel, electricity, etc. And you can ONLY get it if you have dependent children and practically zero assets. If you're a couple without kids, or single and truly down on their luck, it's "No check for you!"
Third, there are food stamp programs, but you're automatically enrolled in job search and training programs. Good luck with that and a shitty economy!

There are people whose unemployment benefits have run out and there are no places to turn except homeless shelters or doubling up with relatives. I'm with Brett that there should be ways that truly deserving people should get the help they need while the system abusers should get the boot.

http://www.massresources.org/massach...rograms_d.html
Old 06-28-2009, 07:14 AM
Resident octogenarian

The one that really gripes me is when I see homeless veterans.

A strange thing happened yesterday, I got an invitation from the American legion and a nice certificate supposedly in recognition of my war-time service. Excuse me? They don't come any more 4F than I was/am. Had a namesake who fought for the Union in the civil war but he is long gone.