Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:13 PM

Damn miserable record player

is interfering with my politickin. I should be on here espousing knowledge, savin' the world, an' makin' an ass of myself.

But it's tough to do considering I just mounted a Denon DL-160 on one of my tables last week. And a Sound Smith retipped Dynavector on my other table yesterday.

The SM/Dynavector is a real pig. It's the 1st Dynavector ever made, I guess, can't find out too much about it. And after the Sound Smith worked on it, it's anybodies guess as to how to set it. On a SME IIIS arm, no less.

But I'm gettin' close. Once I decide to stop, by God, I'm gonna give everybody a blast of shit!!!!

Least till I go on vacation this weekend.
Chas
Old 06-17-2009, 06:28 PM

Hey, Bub, take that rekord-player bullchittery elsewhere, willya ? We DON'T talk about numnut stuff like THAT here...This is strictly for snot-slingin' knock down drag-outs on what a Nasswhole the current & former Prezdents are...
Old 06-17-2009, 07:05 PM

What????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Hey, Bub, take that rekord-player bullchittery elsewhere, willya ? We DON'T talk about numnut stuff like THAT here...This is strictly for snot-slingin' knock down drag-outs on what a Nasswhole the current & former Prezdents are...
Wall, 'scues me fer bein' alive, yer mule's ass peckerwood!!!!

Here's I is, jest tryin' ta listen to my cruumy rekkerd palyer, toss down a couple a cold 'em's, get my sorry mind right...so's I kin go slug it out tommerew within' them Bloze Radio assholes...'an you'r givin' me a hard way to go!!! Prick!!!

'course, nobody ever give me nuttin sides a hard way to go!!!

Back to politickin...do I like them politickers?

Did I mention, I like dogs?
Chas
Old 06-17-2009, 07:13 PM

Mbwahahahahahahaha...I don't even know why I'm on the 'Pooter right now. We're having the worst Thunderstorm I ever seen in my whole entire life for about the 3rd or 4th time today..I ain't so sure the same one don't just keep circlin' around & around...After awhile, you just say "Feckit !!" & go back to what you normally do...Have you queried Hakaplan over yonder on yr TT ? I'd try to help, but I dunno from diddley about TTs...Now, if'n ya wanted t'know 'bout a R-390A, I could prolly fix ye rite up...
Old 06-17-2009, 08:00 PM

We've been havin' killer storms around her for a week or so. Startin' to get tired of it, myself. Just hope they don't louse up the fishin' down at Bull Shoals.

Now down to rekkerd players, I've been dickin' with 'em for a while. To tell the truth, the DL-160 is kickin' the SM/Dynavectors's ass. But it's apples and oranges. The Denon is running through the phono pre on my Van Alstine , and the Dynavector is running through a Bellari VP 129.

Gotta go, take care,
Chas
Old 06-18-2009, 06:54 AM

I got a new Benz micro a week or so ago, and can't wait to get it mounted up and find out what all the "MC" crap is about.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:20 PM

MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
I got a new Benz micro a week or so ago, and can't wait to get it mounted up and find out what all the "MC" crap is about.
Tell you what, I've screwed around with the Grado Prestige series, a Supertrack III, older TOTL MM Ortofons plus a 2M Blue, and an AT 440ML...which I finally came to the conclusion was the best of the lot.

Wish I would have just bought a Denon DL-160 from the get go, would have saved a lot of money. Was always afraid of a HOMC, both of my tables have low mass arms, and I was concerned that the output wouldn't be enough.

I was wrong on both counts. Even the Dynavector on the IIIs arm works (it really shouldn't), but it's an older cartridge that weighs 9.5 grams, and by dicking with the arm (and you can dick with a IIIs arm till the cows come home) and installing a paddle in the damping trough, I'm getting pretty good sound.

It has more flesh than the Denon, but is just a touch harsh in the mids, and a touch recessed in the upper range, but it's using a tubed pre, and the Denon is SS. The Denon has more "snap".

Reckon I need to let them play for awhile, then maybe switch preamps.

I suspect you will like your Benz,
Chas
Old 06-18-2009, 06:15 PM

Interesting post, you are way ahead of me on the TT front. I'm just starting to get a grasp on proper setup and what not. I read some good reviews on the LO Benz, and some not so good ones on the HO. I imagine I'm approaching "diminishing returns" with this, as I my ears are not the best. I plan to mount it on a 300 arm installed on a Rega Planar 3, and run it through either a a Markof stepup, or Audio Alchemy "Vac-in-a-box". I may end up experimenting with re-configuring a Hag Bugle gain to run LO as well. CD and Tape, just don't get me in the same place as good quality vinyl.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:25 PM

Rekkerd player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
Interesting post, you are way ahead of me on the TT front. I'm just starting to get a grasp on proper setup and what not. I read some good reviews on the LO Benz, and some not so good ones on the HO. I imagine I'm approaching "diminishing returns" with this, as I my ears are not the best. I plan to mount it on a 300 arm installed on a Rega Planar 3, and run it through either a a Markof stepup, or Audio Alchemy "Vac-in-a-box". I may end up experimenting with re-configuring a Hag Bugle gain to run LO as well. CD and Tape, just don't get me in the same place as good quality vinyl.
Doesn't sound like you're behind me...sound like you're in front of me.

Using a Audio Retroflex LT76 (Rega Planet, tripod platter) ADC ALT1 Denon DL 160, and an old Rega Planar II SME IIIs SM/Dynavector. Planet through the pre on my Van Alstine Pat 5, Planar II through a Bellari VP 129.

I'm deaf as a stone, but I can still tell the difference.

I've been selling the SM/Dynavector short. I switched the tube in the Bellari from a RCA Black Plate to a Realistic Japanese gold pin...12AX7's.

This is the missing link. The Dynavector is kicking ass and taking names. I was kinda bummed out that I dropped $250 on the Dyna and the Denon was kicking it's ass on my lesser rig. The tube in the preamp was the problem...never cared for the Realistic with my Ortofons...but the Dynavector loves it.

This is a scary good combo, can only imagine what a decent rig sounds like. But I'm a poor boy, this is gonna have to be it.

Good luck with your rig,
Chas
Old 06-18-2009, 08:08 PM

Ha, I meant way ahead in TT smarts, I'm just learning. I'm a poor boy too, I just got lucky on a couple purchases. All my stuff is used fixer up type. Never seen any of those Japanese gold pin AX7s, but I sure like Matsushita tubes. Rumor has it that a lot of them were made on the old Mullard tooling, but I can't tell by looking. Hopefully I'll get some time to mount this dude up this weekend.