Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:46 PM

i have been saying for years that when the tobacco co. are gone or the smokers all quit the gubmint is fucked.

you can bet the next vice they tax will be something that we wont be able to give up.

might even be a big tax on fresh food and meat. more likley it will be gas and fast food. also internet service and cable tv
Old 07-28-2010, 08:42 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereocuuple View Post
i have been saying for years that when the tobacco co. are gone or the smokers all quit the gubmint is fucked.
Although I understand where you coming from on this, I'm not sure if I agree. The societal costs of tobacco use may well exceed the tax revenue it generates, although there's no way of measuring it.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:53 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Although I understand where you coming from on this, I'm not sure if I agree. The societal costs of tobacco use may well exceed the tax revenue it generates, although there's no way of measuring it.
Seems to me the the gubers get tax income from the time the tobacco seeds are sold all the way through to the estate taxes due when you die from lung cancer. Pretty good scheme!
Old 07-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

"Just give me mo-uh-uh-on-ey, that's what I want."

Pete
Old 07-28-2010, 09:33 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
Seems to me the the gubers get tax income from the time the tobacco seeds are sold all the way through to the estate taxes due when you die from lung cancer. Pretty good scheme!
While that may be true, tobacco related disease costs big bucks to the government for the uninsured/underinsured as well as big buck to you and me for increased health care premiums for the additional costs to to care for the insured smokers.

Again, there's no way to run the numbers on this accurately. But we would be better off if smoking would go the way of the dodo bird.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:25 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
But we would be better off if smoking would go the way of the dodo bird.
I'm with you on that.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:39 AM

Apparently, smoking rates continue to fall in the US but it seems I see more and more younger people smoking of late. Maybe the rate is falling because older smokers are dying faster than younger ones are picking up. :shrug:

John
Old 07-28-2010, 11:30 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Apparently, smoking rates continue to fall in the US but it seems I see more and more younger people smoking of late. Maybe the rate is falling because older smokers are dying faster than younger ones are picking up. :shrug:

John
still is it right to charge $10 for a pack of cigarettes that would coast $2 if not for tax? I guess now that Obie is President and smokes the tax no long targets the lower income folks.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
still is it right to charge $10 for a pack of cigarettes that would coast $2 if not for tax? I guess now that Obie is President and smokes the tax no long targets the lower income folks.
It's a "sin tax", Noone. It's designed to be exorbitant and even punitive to discourage smoking. I don't know exactly how I feel about it but I do think smoking ought to be actively, even aggressively, discouraged.

John
Old 07-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
It's a "sin tax", Noone. It's designed to be exorbitant and even punitive to discourage smoking. I don't know exactly how I feel about it but I do think smoking ought to be actively, even aggressively, discouraged.

John
Problem is it a compulsive activity hence not significantly dissuaded by the cost.

It now can really harm a family financially. A light to moderate smoker will spend $300 a month just so the government can capitalize on human behavior.