Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:27 AM

We're Number 1!

My home town voted #1 destination in both the U.S. and the world by Travel & Leisure.

Charleston was a great place to grow up and is a beautiful and civilized place to live, but I don't know about #1.

Was 100 motherf%$king degrees yesterday and will be 100 motherf%$king degrees again today with 100% humidity. I guess those voting visited in the Spring or Fall, because it is Venus down here right now.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:21 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Whether I agree or not, I can understand #1 in the USA, but can't understand #1 in the world. Very nice place though. It reminds me of a cleaner, smaller, more civilized version of New Orleans, with much easier access to the beach. That said, I prefer the vibe in New Orleans.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catswiththum View Post
My home town voted #1 destination in both the U.S. and the world by Travel & Leisure.

Charleston was a great place to grow up and is a beautiful and civilized place to live, but I don't know about #1.

Was 100 motherf%$king degrees yesterday and will be 100 motherf%$king degrees again today with 100% humidity. I guess those voting visited in the Spring or Fall, because it is Venus down here right now.
I saw that, congratulations. I'll be the first to say I agree wholeheartedly. IIRC Charleston also won best destination from Conde Nast last year. Even with the humidity and swamp gas....
Old 07-09-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Whether I agree or not, I can understand #1 in the USA, but can't understand #1 in the world. Very nice place though. It reminds me of a cleaner, smaller, more civilized version of New Orleans, with much easier access to the beach. That said, I prefer the vibe in New Orleans.
One would think, a lot of the really great places like Shangha, Hong Kong, London, New York involve too many people and really really high prices. And the folks in Charleston seem have a nice vibe too. Except for Cats..... I'm in love with the food and art scene of Charleston, and the French quarter, IMO is one of the loveliest places you'll find anywhere....at least from my limited travel perspective.

Last edited by MrPots; 07-09-2016 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:52 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPots View Post
One would think, a lot of the really great places like Shangha, Hong Kong, London, New York involve too many people and really really high prices. And the folks in Charleston seem have a nice vibe too. Except for Cats..... I'm in love with the food and art scene of Charleston, and the French quarter, IMO is one of the loveliest places you'll find anywhere....at least from my limited travel perspective.
I love Charleston and have vacationed there (and nearby beaches) a number of times, but it simply doesn't compare to London, Paris, Rome, Vienna, Prague, Budapest, Istanbul, Florence and a number of other cities I've visited. For that matter, I think DC, NYC and Chicago are all better tourist cities than Charleston. I can't help but believe that there is a bit of America-centric thinking in the OP's cited article. That said, for a city its size, Charleston is awesome. Another nice smaller city is Santa Fe, FWIW.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:07 PM

Well, other than the summer heat it is a wonderful place to live - the good definitely outweighs the bad.

Old 07-11-2016, 03:57 PM

I'm not much on cities, but of the places I've visited, I think Barcelona was my favorite.
If we're talking party towns, Vegas and New Orleans are both great.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catswiththum View Post

LOL @ Venus.

Quick aside on the same sensation. An appraiser visited our home when we applied for a mortgage refinance. She was well organized and cute. After photographing our unfinished attic room she came down the steps with her camera hanging around her neck and her makeup running off her face. Without breaking stride she calmly noted, "It's hotter than Hades up there."

Venus.

Back to the thread ...
Old 07-11-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
I'm not much on cities, but of the places I've visited, I think Barcelona was my favorite.
If we're talking party towns, Vegas and New Orleans are both great.
Barcelona is awesome but I'm not 25 any more - they all go out at midnight and stay out until breakfast.

The architecture is Narnia - Dali on Xanax.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
LOL @ Venus.

Quick aside on the same sensation. An appraiser visited our home when we applied for a mortgage refinance. She was well organized and cute. After photographing our unfinished attic room she came down the steps with her camera hanging around her neck and her makeup running off her face. Without breaking stride she calmly noted, "It's hotter than Hades up there.

Venus.

Back to the thread ...
Which reminds me of the bad side of popularity - home prices here through the roof - we were thinking about building - land costs as much as construction. Have to wait for another bust.