Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:44 AM
Area Man

Romney defends "Mormonism"...............

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...y.html?hpid=z1

Yeah.......against the "religious bigotry".......OF HIS OWN PARTY.

That says it all. Like the mysterious reason why the GOP is concerned that too many conservatives won't back Cain...............Maybe it's because they don't like pizza?

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 10-09-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:27 AM
Resident octogenarian

It figures, the largest group of people who persecuted the MMormons were so-called Christians. Mind you they should have kept their noses and money out of CA and Prop 8.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:43 AM

May I recommend a book on the subject of today's Mormon culture?

"Under the Banner of Heaven" can be found on Amazon.com and they can locate used paperbacks. My roots are in the Mormon Church but I never understood the bible let alone the Book of Mormon. My grandparents were devout members until after WW2 when they got a closer look at the whole human race. The main agenda of the Mormon church is to out breed all other religions. Many Mormon men simply broke the bodies and spirits of their wives and were forced in to marrying again and again. I remember my grandmother warning my generation to stop the breeding immediately as she wanted all babies to be wanted and loved.

I brought home my first prescription of birth control pills and she went down on her knees and looked up and said "There is a God." My own husband did not know I was taking these pills and it seemed as if I was the family sinner!

Merry, I was living in Arizona when California was faced with Prop 8. In my world, individual rights include all citizens, including our gay community. I joined California Equality and have become active since I came home. I've worked for years in the arts including live theater where many if not most of our actors, crew members and financial backers are gay. They are no threat to me or my family. BTW my youngest lives in Bethesda in your beautiful state.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:04 AM
Resident octogenarian

Sandy Bethesda is not very far from us as a matter of fact our Son, who lives in Ottawa Ontario, had his company bought up by IBM and the person he reports to is at IBM Bethesda. That will be handy when he and our two granddaughters inherit this place.

As one of the Family Historians I am quite familiar with the LDS ancestry database. Like any other religion they had their faults, I'm afraid none of the churches has an unblemished past. As small c christians we no longer bother with organized religion.

Yes Maryland is quite beautiful, makes me think of the Eastern Townships of Quebec where I grew up - but that is ancient history.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Loyal Opposition

Who knows - the gay community might do a better job of preserving the sanctity of marriage than we in the straight community have done.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 10-10-2011, 01:02 PM
Area Man

I'm not taking side with any religion. I am merely pointing out the mindset and blatant hypocrisy of all too many religious folks. And just to show just how much they've learned in the pat 50 years-----wasn't this very issue dragged out in 1960 as well?

Dave
Old 10-10-2011, 01:05 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I'm not taking side with any religion. I am merely pointing out the mindset and blatant hypocrisy of all too many religious folks. And just to show just how much they've learned in the pat 50 years-----wasn't this very issue dragged out in 1960 as well?

Dave
Kennedy was a Mormon?

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 10-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

As long as Romney doesn't make us wear Mormon Magic Underwear, I'm OK with him I suppose. If he makes us change our underwear every half hour and wear them on the outside, I may have some issues with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwMSQhTMrZs

+1 on the book recommendation for "Under the Banner of Heaven." Great book.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Kennedy was a Mormon?

Regards,

D-Ray
Naw, I think he was referring to the other cult the Catholic church and JFK.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
As long as Romney doesn't make us wear Mormon Magic Underwear, I'm OK with him I suppose. If he makes us change our underwear every half hour and wear them on the outside, I may have some issues with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwMSQhTMrZs

+1 on the book recommendation for "Under the Banner of Heaven." Great book.
I will give it a read.

The bigger hurdle is to overcome the title of creator of the Obamacare model. Oh, and he will not win any Southern states, especially ones with large Pentecostal congregations.

Excuse me I need to drink some lye, speak in tongues, and handle a few poisonous snakes. No, really, that is not a cult.