Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Reason vs. Intuition and their bearing on religious belief

It seems that three different peer-reviewed studies show that the greater one depends on intuition vs. reason for answers, the greater their belief in God.

http://ts-si.org/the-dialogue/30987-...eligious-faith

Put in simpler terms, those who don't "get" math are more likely to be religious and those that apply reason instead of intuition are more likely to be less religious. Speaking for myself, these studies hold true.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Area Man

It doesn't take a mathmetician to see how religion is used to manipulate, or patriotism either, for that matter. Both are mind control tools. I think, if someone were to do a study of the sort, they would find that most mechanically or technically inclined people aren't very religious either.

Something about the ability to watch something run and figure out how it works............

But, it's an interesting article, Finn. Thanks.

Dave
Old 10-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Loyal Opposition

Interesting that philosophy, which sometimes has a reputation of being amorphous or "intuitive," was largely populated by mathematicians. Just goes to show that reputation does not always relate to truth.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 10-07-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
It seems that three different peer-reviewed studies show that the greater one depends on intuition vs. reason for answers, the greater their belief in God.

http://ts-si.org/the-dialogue/30987-...eligious-faith

Put in simpler terms, those who don't "get" math are more likely to be religious and those that apply reason instead of intuition are more likely to be less religious. Speaking for myself, these studies hold true.
How'd you do on the bat and ball? I thought the obvious then translated the words into the two eq'n in 2 Xs, then transposed and solved.

Since you're a NPR listener you may already have seen Kevin Devlin's stuff:

http://www.stanford.edu/~kdevlin/MathGuy.html

Devlin's Angle
http://www.maa.org/devlin/
Old 10-08-2011, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Interesting that philosophy, which sometimes has a reputation of being amorphous or "intuitive," was largely populated by mathematicians. Just goes to show that reputation does not always relate to truth.

Regards,

D-Ray
You can still find many scientists, particularly those that are at the edges of cosmology and quantum physics, that are religious. Not all scientists are as atheistic as the great evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins. As science uncovers more, the questions just get pushed further and at times enter the realm of philosophy and even religion. Science is just the process. That process is not nearly as objective and free of bias as a lot of people think. Scientists, like all groups, have entrenched interests. It doesn't and can't answer philosophical questions and make judgements on the value of religious belief.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
You can still find many scientists, particularly those that are at the edges of cosmology and quantum physics, that are religious. Not all scientists are as atheistic as the great evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins. As science uncovers more, the questions just get pushed further and at times enter the realm of philosophy and even religion. Science is just the process. That process is not nearly as objective and free of bias as a lot of people think. Scientists, like all groups, have entrenched interests. It doesn't and can't answer philosophical questions and make judgements on the value of religious belief.

Excellent!
Old 10-08-2011, 08:21 AM
Resident octogenarian

I believe that I am a rational, logical person - that is probably what made me such a damned good computer programmer. While we no longer belong to any organized religion/church we do believe in the teachings of Jesus. According to Luke (who was a physician, therefore educated for his time, Jesus said he was the Son of God and Luke believed him.

Both Florence and me have experienced things in our lives that are inexplicable by science but easily explained if you think there may be angels about.

Do I believe that the world was created in 6 days - explain "day". Do I believe in Adam and Eve - probably the first demonstration of male chavinism, blame it all on the woman.

If when I die that's it - so then my belief is wrong. On the other hand if I do walk into the light and I had not believed I would feel pretty stupid.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Area Man

For clarification;

In my opinion spirituality and religion are two different things.

Spirituality is a belief in the afterlife or the possibility thereof.

Religion is a construct of man, used to manipulate and control.

Dave
Old 10-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Resident octogenarian

I like that definition.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I believe that I am a rational, logical person - that is probably what made me such a damned good computer programmer. While we no longer belong to any organized religion/church we do believe in the teachings of Jesus. According to Luke (who was a physician, therefore educated for his time, Jesus said he was the Son of God and Luke believed him.

Both Florence and me have experienced things in our lives that are inexplicable by science but easily explained if you think there may be angels about.

Do I believe that the world was created in 6 days - explain "day". Do I believe in Adam and Eve - probably the first demonstration of male chavinism, blame it all on the woman.

If when I die that's it - so then my belief is wrong. On the other hand if I do walk into the light and I had not believed I would feel pretty stupid.
I play the cards I've been dealt.

So far, I haven't even pulled a supernatural pair. But that doesn't stop me from drawing for an inside straight.

I don't sweat it too much either way.

Hell, I'm nobody or nothing, why should I have all of the answers?

Chas