Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:01 PM

California Democrat urges boycott of In-N-Out for donating to GOP. The burger chain gives to Democrats, too.

Yes, Democrats do really stupid things, too. One of the reasons I am fiercely independent. Thankfully, smarter Dems intervened. I'm not about to boycott In-N-Out, one of my few guilty pleasures.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...710_story.html

Quote:
California’s Democratic Party chairman nearly launched a food fight Wednesday when he called for a boycott of In-N-Out Burger over a contribution the popular fast-food chain made to the state Republican Party.

Eric Bauman, chair of the California Democratic Party, tweeted Wednesday:

“Et tu In-N-Out? Tens of thousands of dollars donated to the California Republican Party . . . it’s time to #BoycottInNOut — let Trump and his cronies support these creeps . . . perhaps animal style!”

Democrats swiftly dialed back Bauman’s call for people to stop eating at the chain’s 330-plus locations, which attract a passionate following across six states with their simple burgers-fries-and-shakes approach and “secret menu” (from which customers can order their burgers “animal style.”)

A spokesman for the California Democrats said the party will not pursue the boycott.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:04 AM

Didn't I&O hedge by donating to both parties?
My protests go to no support for local and national businesses that supported Trump.

Last edited by Pio1980; 09-01-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:32 PM
Admin

"By Thursday morning, his tweet had morphed into a national political story, and the state party was clarifying Bauman’s remarks. Bauman on Thursday referred calls to the party’s communications director, John Vigna, who said the chair’s tweet was “just his personal view” and the boycott isn’t being considered as an official California Democratic Party policy.

“We’re not happy that In-N-Out gave the money, but we’re not calling for an official boycott,” Vigna said. “Democrats are very fired up. Chair [Bauman] is definitely giving voice to a feeling a lot of people have right now.”

In-N-Out, meanwhile, quickly put out a statement by Executive Vice President Arnie Wensinger that noted that the company “made equal contributions to both Democratic and Republican” political action committees in California in 2018.

Filings show that the restaurant chain gave at least $80,000 this election cycle to Californians for Jobs and a Strong Economy, a committee focused on electing business-friendly Democrats to the state Legislature. The chain also gave at least $30,000 to the committee in 2016.

“For years, In-N-Out Burger has supported lawmakers who, regardless of political affiliation, promote policies that strengthen California and allow us to continue operating with the values of providing strong pay and great benefits for our associates,” Wensinger said." LA Times

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...830-story.html

Looks like the Democratic chair shot off his piehole without thinking. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, gimme a double-double with grilled onions, please.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:09 PM
Admin

'The Herbal Tea Party'

Some call it the resistance; others label it the herbal tea party.
Whatever the name, liberal insurgents demanding a more confrontational approach to President Trump and his Republican allies upended the Democratic establishment last week. From Boston’s Charles River to the Senate committee rooms at the Capitol, from Chicago’s City Hall to Delaware’s beaches, veteran Democrats found themselves under fire from political newcomers or upstaged by junior colleagues.

The moments suggested that Democrats are now in the throes of something resembling what Republicans went through eight years ago. That’s when the so-called tea party began to seize control of the GOP in a manner that still wreaks havoc within the House and Senate caucuses.

For Democrats, the first blow came Tuesday night when Boston City Council member Ayanna Pressley, 44, routed one of the party’s most reliably liberal incumbents, Rep. Michael E. Capuano (Mass.), in a primary. In Chicago, Mayor Rahm Emanuel, who once aspired to build a Daley-style reign in that city, bowed out of his reelection bid in the face of a crowded field of liberal challengers and continued protests against the police department....

… “The political establishment has gotten us Donald Trump, it’s gotten us the worst political position for the Democratic Party since the 1920s. We need change, and change is coming,” said Rep. Seth Moulton (D-Mass.), a thorn in his leadership’s side who himself first won office by defeating an 18-year incumbent four years ago...

… Republican leaders know well that the most dangerous intraparty rivals are not in competitive swing districts but in the safest GOP-leaning districts. Tea party groups intentionally focused on trying to elect the most confrontational lawmakers in solid Republican districts, and from that effort came the House Freedom Caucus.

Those far-right lawmakers drove the federal government into a shutdown in
October 2013 and helped oust John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) from the speaker’s office two years later. They are threatening to support another government shutdown this fall.

Moulton believes that, if they win the majority, Democrats will avoid those pitfalls — but only because Democrats tend to support the federal government.

“The tea party tries to destroy government,” he said. “We need to restore faith in government. Sometimes that means being willing to go against the establishment, but that doesn’t mean tearing apart the institutions.” WaPo

https://www.washingtonpost.com/power...=.359601f72b76

All hail the "herbal" tea party! Puff, puff.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:53 PM
Admin

I'm lovin' this Beto O'Rourke guy in Texas. The dude reminds me of Bobby Kennedy. He's almost tied with Ted Cruz at this point.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:09 AM

Beto O'Rourke appeared on Colbet's Late Show this week.
Quote:
“Beto is running in Texas against incumbent senator, and man whose campaign staff is definitely watching this show right now, Ted Cruz,” Colbert said.

Colbert also ridiculed Cruz for begging the increasingly unpopular President Donald Trump to help him campaign even though they have had a public feud for years.

“You know it’s bad when you need backup from a man with a 36% approval rating,” Colbert joked. “Their backup plan is a celebrity endorsement from the herpes virus.”

“Here’s how scared Ted Cruz is of Beto O’Rourke,” Colbert explained. “He bought ads on my show tonight to counter his interview.”
https://www.politicususa.com/2018/09...late-show.html
Old 09-14-2018, 01:44 PM
Rational Anarchist

I know a few Republicans who will be pulling the Beto lever.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
I'm lovin' this Beto O'Rourke guy in Texas. The dude reminds me of Bobby Kennedy. He's almost tied with Ted Cruz at this point.
Mr Smith Goes To Washington
Old 09-15-2018, 12:55 AM

Willie Nelson is playing a political concert for Beto O’Rourke. Some fans are abandoning him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...bandoning-him/

Guess I'll dig out my copy of Red Headed Stranger tomorrow...
Old 09-15-2018, 05:52 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
Willie Nelson is playing a political concert for Beto O’Rourke. Some fans are abandoning him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...bandoning-him/

Guess I'll dig out my copy of Red Headed Stranger tomorrow...
You know that one line in 'Red Headed Stranger,' the one that goes "You can't hang a man for shooting a woman who was trying to steal his horse?"

Ever hear a live performance where some people cheer on that line? Those would be the fans abandoning Willie Nelson here.

Who needs 'em?