Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:29 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
Never heard of their products. I don't know shit from Shinola!

BTW, from wikipedia- In June 2016, the FTC ordered the company to stop using "made in america" as a slogan as ""100% of the cost of materials used to make certain watches is attributable to imported materials."
I've met more than a few people who bristle when you tell them of any product that is made in Detroit or any company that has decided to locate there. They seem to delight in the failure of that city. I never understood why.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:33 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
Nice, a watch of great sentimental value.
It really is. There was a second one, silver with a glass face. I don't know whatever became of that one. Hopefully, my brother has it.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:35 AM

Where America excelled in large scale manufacturing precision products like firearms, timepieces, and automobiles was in the design and production of tooling, machinery, and technique to do it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
Where America excelled in large scale manufacturing precision products like firearms, timepieces, and automobiles was in the design and production of tooling, machinery, and technique to do it.

I think the advent of machine tools...capital equipment that could be modified to produce exact replicas of standardized parts so as to establish standardization of production (i.e. the future assembly line) came about through the manufacture of a famous rifle (Winchester?) in the 19th century.

I forget from college.

That and the cotton gin changed everything.

I think it was Colt and Eli Whitney was influential in that as well as the cotton gin.

Last edited by icenine; 08-05-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:10 AM
Loyal Opposition

My sons don't wear watches, forsaking them for smart phones. I have worn them so long, it is a reflex to look at my left wrist for the time. Changing that is as hard as trying to stop hitting the space bar twice at the end of a sentence.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
My sons don't wear watches, forsaking them for smart phones. I have worn them so long, it is a reflex to look at my left wrist for the time. Changing that is as hard as trying to stop hitting the space bar twice at the end of a sentence.
I still do that. Some software (this software) ignores that and defaults to a single space.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I have ONE watch that I never wear or take anywhere. It's locked up in a safe.

It's an Elgin, solid gold, beautiful engravings on both sides with the winder at the three o'clock position. I'm thinking it's around 90-100 years old. My mother gave it to me. It was originally owned by a relative of hers (Uncle, I think.) who retired from the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.

I see them going for $950 to as high as $2,500 on E-Bay, depending on condition, history, etc. Mine quit working some years ago, but is in beautiful cosmetic condition.

I wonder if I can get it fixed, locally?
I have an Elgin 7-jewel movement in a fairly cheap case that's a runner. Not worth much but I inherited it from a good friend. The face says "Zeitz Bros." so I looked them up. They were jewelers in Chicago around the turn of the century, when pocket watches were the bling of choice.

From what I've read on repair, don't go to a regular jeweler. Look on the 'net for a speshulist with a reputation. Apparently there are lots of jewelers who want the work, but aren't really skilled enough to be doing the work.

Last edited by Wasillaguy; 08-05-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:08 AM

Elgin, Gruen, Benrus and some others are all owned by different companies than the original makers and slapped on cheap Chinese watches.

Bulova today still makes good watches but they are owned by Citizen.

Skagen is a Dutch trademark that has been stuck on designer brand owned by a US company that supposedly has the watches designed in Denmark and assembled in China.
Very pretty watches and everyone I have bought at the thrift works.

I like Swatches too those plastic watches work well.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:09 AM

The 7 jewel movement was the basic arrangement, more jeweled bushings gave a longer lived timepiece up to 17 jewels, where adding cap jewels to the escapement portion improved accuracy. 21 jewels is the useful limit for a watch without complications or motor barrel drive.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Elgin, Gruen, Benrus and some others are all owned by different companies than the original makers and slapped on cheap Chinese watches.

Bulova today still makes good watches but they are owned by Citizen.

Skagen is a Dutch trademark that has been stuck on designer brand owned by a US company that supposedly has the watches designed in Denmark and assembled in China.
Very pretty watches and everyone I have bought at the thrift works.

I like Swatches too those plastic watches work well.
Running Citizen EcoDrive without moisture stained dials, hands, or inside dial covers are good pre-owned prospects. Most Seiko and Casio as well, always look carefully for signs of moisture intrusion and avoid those examples.