Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:15 AM

"This Is A Domestic Cuban Missle Crisis"

This is the best article I have read on our current Constitutional crisis.
Give it a good read

even if you do not agree the author makes some valid points about our two party system

http://nymag.com/news/politics/natio...tdown-2013-10/
Old 10-06-2013, 06:47 AM
Resident octogenarian

"Mr. President

I confess that there are several parts of this constitution which I do not at present approve, but I am not sure I shall never approve them: For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged by better information, or fuller consideration, to change opinions even on important subjects, which I once thought right, but found to be otherwise. It is therefore that the older I grow, the more apt I am to doubt my own judgment, and to pay more respect to the judgment of others. Most men indeed as well as most sects in Religion, think themselves in possession of all truth, and that whenever others differ from them it is so far error. Steele a Protestant in a Dedication tells the Pope that the only difference between our Churches in their opinions of the certainty of their doctrines is, the Church of Rome is infallible and the Church of England is never in the wrong. But though many private persons think almost as highly of their own infallibility as of that of their sect, few express it so naturally as a certain French lady, who in a dispute with her sister, said "I don't know how it happens, Sister but I meet with nobody but myself that's always in the right - Il n'y a moi qui a toujours raison."
In these sentiments, Sir, I agree to this Constitution with all its faults, if they are such, because I think a general Government necessary for us, and there is no form of Government but what may be a blessing to the people if well administered, and believe farther that this is likely to be well administered for a course of years, and can only end in Despotism, as others have done before it, when the people shall become so corrupted as to need despotic Government, being incapable of any other.. I doubt too whether any other Convention we can obtain, may be able to make a better Constitution. For when you assemble a number of men to have the advantage of their joint wisdom, you inevitably assemble with those men, all their prejudices, their passions, their errors of opinion, their local interests, and their selfish views. From such an assembly can a perfect production be expected? It therefore astonishes me, Sir, to find this system approaching so near to perfection as it does; and I think it will astonish our enemies who are waiting with confidence that our councils are confounded like those of the Builders of Babel; and that our States are on the point of separation, only to meet hereafter for the purpose of cutting one another's throats. Thus I consent, Sir, to this Constitution because I expect no better, and because I am not sure, that it is not the best. The opinions I have had of its errors, I sacrifice to the public good. I have never whispered a syllable of them abroad. Within these walls they were born, and here they shall die. If every one of us in returning to our Constituents were to report the objections he has had to it, and endeavor to gain partisans in support of them, we might prevent its being generally received, and thereby lose all salutary effects & great advantages resulting naturally in our favor among foreign Nations as well as among ourselves, from our real or apparent unanimity. Much of the strength& efficiency of any Government in procuring and securing happiness to the people, depends, on opinion, on the general opinion of the goodness of the Government, as well as the wisdom and integrity of its Governors. I hope therefore that for our own sakes as a part of the people, and for the sake of posterity, we shall act heartily and unanimously in recommending this Constitution (if approved by the Congress & confirmed by the Convention) wherever our influence may extend, and turn our future thoughts & endeavors to the means of having it well administered.
On the whole, Sir, I cannot help expressing a wish that every member of our convention who may still have objections to it, would with me, on this occasion doubt a little of his own infallibility, and to make manifest our unanimity, put his name to this instrument."

Benjamin Franklin
Old 10-06-2013, 07:02 AM
Mutated Member

Our most appreciated and most intellectual (and politically independent) news programm "Tagesschau" said yesterday evening in it's prime time broadcast:

"Die Politiker in Washington haben den Verstand verloren!" "The politicians in Washington have lost their mind!"

I never have heard in the "Tagesschau" such an extremly harsh remark towards the USA.

Fact is that the American Policy/Politics loses respect and reputation all over the world. But I think more about the man who is selling icecream near the Capitol (radio report) who becomes more and more despairing because he needs any cent he earns but business is so bad currently because of a lack of employees and tourists. This man is a simple example for the misery among the American people who need any cent to survive in everyday life.

Last edited by HarmanKardon; 10-06-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmanKardon View Post
Our most appreciated and most intellectual (and politically independent) news programm "Tagesschau" said yesterday evening in it's prime time broadcast:

"Die Politiker in Washington haben den Verstand verloren!" "The politicians in Washington have lost their mind!"

I never have heard in the "Tagesschau" such an extremly harsh remark towards the USA.

Fact is that the American Policy/Politics loses respect and reputation all over the world. But I think more about the man who is selling icecream near the Capitol (radio report) who becomes more and more despairing because he needs any cent he earns but business is so bad currently because of a lack of employees and tourists. This man is a simple example for the misery among the American people who need any cent to survive in everyday life.

The problem with the TParty followers I know is, they could care less what anybody else thinks. That is not only with their fellow Americans but X10 with other countries! A total I'm right you are stupid to not think like me attitude. A celebration of ignorance along with closed minded my way or the highway views. They seem happy in the pain this is causing. Feeling a little drunk with power right now, but the coming hangover will be effecting us all.

Barney
Old 10-06-2013, 08:10 AM
Mutated Member

It is time for a solution know. The situation might become disastrous for the worldwide economy - we are living in a global village. Barney why is it so difficult to bring the republican politicians to their senses? Isen't the problem rather arrogance than ignorance?

Anyway - German politicans are embarassing as well anyway, but without such dramatic consequenses. The German Republicans need coalition partners (those are all left wing) to constitute a new government but it is a sheer Kindergarten, there are absolutely now agreements about the higher taxes issue and other issues as well.

Last edited by HarmanKardon; 10-06-2013 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Addenta
Old 10-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Resident octogenarian

Chris it really is ignorance on the part of the Tea Party types. You simply have to hear any of them speak, what comes out is mostly incoherent. Where they get their insane ideas I have no idea. You simply cannot tell them a damn thing because they all think they are founts of wisdom.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Mutated Member

So these Tea Party politicians are insane Republicans? Sorry for such basic questions, but I am still learning.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
So these Tea Party politicians are insane Republicans?
Who have found a way, via the primary elections, to intimidate
fellow republicans.

Committed minority with extreme views get the rest of its party to
toe the line.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Mutated Member

The Republicans seem to be an interesting species. (I do not intend to offend any member here in this forum with republican attititudes, I really like to emphazise that.)

I would like to learn anything about them as far as I can before it is too late. So those ahmmm let's say TPF's - they actually rule partly the biggest country in the world? That is pretty gruesome, because they also rule me to some extent - because everything in this modern world depends on everything more or less, via international politics/economy everybody and everything is connected with everybody and everything.

Oh my. So what about the retired Mr. Bush sr. ? Is he a "normal" republican or rather a TPF? Recently two queer ladies married. He joined the marriage and even signed the contract as witness. That is confusing. Repuplicans consider homosexuality, Aids as well, as a creation of the devil, I supposed.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:45 AM
Area Man

Quote:
The Republicans seem to be an interesting species. (I do not intend to offend any member here in this forum with republican attititudes, I really like to emphazise that.)

I would like to learn anything about them as far as I can before it is too late. So those ahmmm let's say TPF's - they actually rule partly the biggest country in the world? That is pretty gruesome, because they also rule me to some extent - because everything in this modern world depends on everything more or less, via international politics/economy everybody and everything is connected with everybody and everything.

Oh my. So what about the retired Mr. Bush sr. ? Is he a "normal" republican or rather a TPF? Recently two queer ladies married. He joined the marriage and even signed the contract as witness. That is confusing. Repuplicans consider homosexuality, Aids as well, as a creation of the devil, I supposed.
"Rule the country? No. Although I suspect they're trying. By todays standards former President Bush would appear quite "normal", maybe even a bit to the left.

Chris, we can't really generalize the entire party. Especially not now. It's kind of a two headed creature right now. Full of internal strife. There is no way to know where it will be in 2 or 3 years.

Dave