Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:42 PM

Over 20 million hacked

That's just great - as a former federal employee I'm tickled pink.

Is there anyone f*&king competent up there? Who is minding the f*&king store?

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...07-09-18-22-53
Old 07-09-2015, 08:05 PM

From the AP report above:

Quote:
FBI Director James Comey, in a briefing with reporters Thursday, described the scope of the OPM breach as "huge" and called it "a very big deal from a national-security perspective and a counterintelligence perspective."

"It's a treasure trove of information about everybody who has worked for, tried to work for, or works for the United States government," he said.
F*&king useless, incompetent, and clueless. Thanks loads, you d*&kweeds.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:25 PM

And guess who is in charge of cyber security at OPM?

Some NSA transplants? Guys that invented hacking and can tell you every time the Chinese premier farts?

No.

The Air Force Cyber Command? A group that could empty every bank in Russia and pick Putin's pocket?

No sir.

The FBI? No, no - they get the job after someone else f*&ks it up.

Yes, you guessed it - the OPM monitors themselves. It's only sensitive information on 20 million people and all the security clearance info - MY information - what's the big deal? Nothing will happen, right?
Old 07-09-2015, 09:54 PM

I did the OPM background check in January...massive and totally uncalled for invasion of privacy. I guess they got all my info now. You have to give them EVERYTHING....SSN, names and dates of parents,etc. And they force contractors and civil service people to do this who have nothing to do with serious or classified information. You cannot clean toilets without this background check, and if you have a bad credit rating or they confuse you with someone else who has a criminal record you can lose your job.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:01 AM
Resident octogenarian

This goes on here all the time. Take your favorite search engine and search on your own name. You will be shocked at how much of your private information is out there as well as how much false information they will come up with, There is a scam artist Jeff Tinsley who has a site called MyLife.com and he will be only too happpy to let you correct and false info for a fee.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
This goes on here all the time.
I am concerned with my U.S. gov. information.

I do not provide my SS # on line.
My online purchases are made with a low balance L.L.C. debit card.
I follow the f*&king rules and then some.

Let me give you a scenario - because the Chinese now have my info, suppose they forge a little data sharing agreement with another country if they believe it to their advantage?

My wife teaches Russian - we may need Russian visas at some point - they are currently hard to get as it is. So I apply, but am turned down because Putin wants to put a stick in our eye and my name pops up as having worked for such and such agency.

Think it can't happen? Think again - these are the consequences for the little people when the gov. we worked for doesn't give a rat's ass enough to protect the information we gave them in good faith.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:33 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by catswiththum View Post
I am concerned with my U.S. gov. information.

I do not provide my SS # on line.
My online purchases are made with a low balance L.L.C. debit card.
I follow the f*&king rules and then some.

Let me give you a scenario - because the Chinese now have my info, suppose they forge a little data sharing agreement with another country if they believe it to their advantage?

My wife teaches Russian - we may need Russian visas at some point - they are currently hard to get as it is. So I apply, but am turned down because Putin wants to put a stick in our eye and my name pops up as having worked for such and such agency.

Think it can't happen? Think again - these are the consequences for the little people when the gov. we worked for doesn't give a rat's ass enough to protect the information we gave them in good faith.
Look at it from a safety in numbers point of view cats.

You're just one reindeer in a giant herd of 20 million.

The wolves can't eat all of you.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:05 AM

The potential for identification theft alone with this information is immense. My personal opinion is that background checks on non-classified positions should be basically be routine police record checks for possible felonies or minor infractions.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:51 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
The potential for identification theft alone with this information is immense. My personal opinion is that background checks on non-classified positions should be basically be routine police record checks for possible felonies or minor infractions.
AFAIK, background for non-sensitive Federal positions are even less than that. Actually, background checks for the "Secret" level are barely above that level. Once you get to "Top Secret" and higher (compartmentalized), then the background checks get far more intense (and expensive), though they're often conducted by young whipper-snappers with freshly-minted college degrees and little clue (full disclosure - I had a Secret clearance for ~20 years and a compartmentalized TS for another ~20).

Beyond the data security issue, the manner in which security clearances are performed are a bad joke.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:15 AM

Public trust positions (ANCI or NACI) requires a really big background check with a credit check plus an interview. I had to go through one. My experience is that almost every employee has to do this every 10 years. You are correct but I think you underestimate how invasive the clearance is from a privacy issue. Many workers have to give out SSNs and birthdays of family members and addresses of friends.