Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:33 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I wonder why most soldiers I know are righties?

Anyway I still think at least Bush & Co tried to paint with a large brush.

Howz Afghanny going?

Pete
Old 03-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post

Howz Afghanny going?

Pete
FUBAR of course
Old 03-21-2013, 11:57 AM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
As an American Indian, perhaps I grew up in a less governmentally trusting environment on the back end of Nixon/Vietnam? Because I've never bought our American exceptionalism bullshit or completely trusted our leaders. (But, in general, I do trust them.)

That said, I am not naive. I'm sure every President has willingly defied law or the Constitution in the name of expediency or national defense, typically keeping the whole thing secret.

But to knowingly spread disinformation to garner public support for an unnecessary and unwarranted invasion of a sovereign nation? Preying upon patriotism and the public trust to further Imperialism and expansionism? That's a level of diabolical evil that can barely be described but I still hold accountable those who volunteered: there is a price to pay but you can always say "no."

About now, you'd be looking pretty smart and the guy who never said "yes" is even smarter.

But try selling that to the military guy who brainwashes himself with radical right-wing ideas merely to rationalize his own necessity in a world that would be universally less dangerous if he didn't exist, doing what we are doing in the Middle East? They jump right to patriotism and elitist veteran's entitlement not because they can't think but because they're unwilling to.

Fucking stupid.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:01 PM
Area Man

Quote:

Howz Afghanny going?

Pete
Because the military brainwashes them. It will fade with time. Why do you think so many of the former military you see here are no longer righties?

Bush & Co. were a pack of liars, hiding behind the cross. That's how wide their brush and deep their bullshit is.

Afghanistan? Terrible. Good thing we're in the process of leaving.

Dave
Old 03-21-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
As an American Indian, perhaps I grew up in a less governmentally trusting environment on the back end of Nixon/Vietnam? Because I've never bought our American exceptionalism bullshit or completely trusted our leaders. (But, in general, I do trust them.)

That said, I am not naive. I'm sure every President has willingly defied law or the Constitution in the name of expediency or national defense, typically keeping the whole thing secret.

But to knowingly spread disinformation to garner public support for an unnecessary and unwarranted invasion of a sovereign nation? Preying upon patriotism and the public trust to further Imperialism and expansionism? That's a level of diabolical evil that can barely be described but I still hold accountable those who volunteered: there is a price to pay but you can always say "no."

About now, you'd be looking pretty smart and the guy who never said "yes" is even smarter.

But try selling that to the military guy who brainwashes himself with radical right-wing ideas merely to rationalize his own necessity in a world that would be universally less dangerous if he didn't exist, doing what we are doing in the Middle East? They jump right to patriotism and elitist veteran's entitlement not because they can't think but because they're unwilling to.

Fucking stupid.
There is no doubt that marketing works. It's designed to work. It works just as well for military recruiters as it does for Weight Watchers. I guess my perspective, being on the science side of the debate, is that those with the power of science on their side are ultimately responsible for how it is used. I don't buy into the "consumer is free to choose" excuse anymore. Not after knowing what I know now. I demand better explanations.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Howz Afghanny going?

Pete
If Dubya had wrapped up the Afghanistan war in its first seven years, we would have been out before Obama came into office tasked with cleaning up the legacy of Dubya's mismanagement of just about everything.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:50 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

He's cleaning it up so well.

Pete
Old 03-21-2013, 01:53 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
He's cleaning it up so well.

Pete
You sound like an arsonist criticizing the efficiency of the fire department.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:57 PM

That right there was funny.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

But:

Pete