Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
The Volt may or may not be a good idea, but the government bankrolling it is a bad idea. I'd far prefer a new Mazda3 to a Volt. It'll get over 40 mpg, is fun to drive, and is half the price.

If electric cars appear to be a good idea at this time, let venture capitalists invest accordingly. I'd prefer not to invest in them, thank you.
C'mon Finn. You're making it hard for people to paint you as a liberal. Venture capitalists running the world. Sheesh.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 03-12-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
The Volt may or may not be a good idea, but the government bankrolling it is a bad idea. I'd far prefer a new Mazda3 to a Volt. It'll get over 40 mpg, is fun to drive, and is half the price.

If electric cars appear to be a good idea at this time, let venture capitalists invest accordingly. I'd prefer not to invest in them, thank you.
And it's half the car. The EPA gives the Volt a combined 93 mpg or something like that. The Volt also gets dramatically better gas mileage around town. Actual users are beating the EPA numbers.

More than that the Volt should really be compared to something like a small Benz. It really is of that quality. It is NOT another econobox.

The Volt is NOT just another econobox. It is American engineering creating the cutting edge in automobiles. The US of A actually having the lead again in something. And no one in America cheers. They'd rather send their money to Japan to make sure the Japanese economy stays strong and the Japanese workers keep their high paying engineering and manufacturing jobs. American workers will do fine in McDonalds, right?

Finn, I wonder how your idea for venture capitalists having the final word on technology would have worked for things like the space program, jets engines, atomic power, the internet, etc. All government programs.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
C'mon Finn. You're making it hard for people to paint you as a liberal. Venture capitalists running the world. Sheesh.

Regards,

D-Ray
Naw. Venture capitalists losing their own money on a premature technology/investment is far preferable than tax monies being pissed away on such activities.

Our country's whole approach to fuel efficiency is FUBAR. I believe strongly than a revenue neutral increase on motor fuels of $2/gallon would do more than all this bleeding edge stuff.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
And it's half the car. The EPA gives the Volt a combined 93 mpg or something like that. The Volt also gets dramatically better gas mileage around town. Actual users are beating the EPA numbers.

More than that the Volt should really be compared to something like a small Benz. It really is of that quality. It is NOT another econobox.

The Volt is NOT just another econobox. It is American engineering creating the cutting edge in automobiles. The US of A actually having the lead again in something. And no one in America cheers. They'd rather send their money to Japan to make sure the Japanese economy stays strong and the Japanese workers keep their high paying engineering and manufacturing jobs. American workers will do fine in McDonalds, right?

Finn, I wonder how your idea for venture capitalists having the final word on technology would have worked for things like the space program, jets engines, atomic power, the internet, etc. All government programs.
Do you own one? If you don't, just cut the crap!
Old 03-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think the lib/conservative divide on the Volt is the greater emphasis of the conservatives on the market as the ultimate measure of value - market value trumps intrinsic value. One of the token conservatives at the WaPo, Charles Lane, is a big critic of the Volt. After taking a test drive, he was impressed by the fit and finish of the vehicle, but didn't see it as a practical market offering given its price. Others of us are rooting for it, despite its market barriers, because we want to see it as a precursor of things to come. I think we're both a little bit right.

Regards,

D-Ray
Dude...WTF are you talking about? This has NOTHING to do with Leftys & Rightys!!! Don't you get it? It should have NEVER...let me repeat that, NEVER been introduced to the market place!
Go out & buy one. If I can afford one, you sure as Hell can afford one. Buy one for your party! Buy one for your political stance! Buy one because you represent the people who built the POS!
If you don't, you are a hypocrite.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:30 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Still costs too much.

Chas
sometimes you need to be part of the solution
Old 03-13-2012, 09:03 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
.... That's why I've never been a first user.
QFT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djv8ga View Post
....I have not read anything from you telling us Rightys the reason we don't want one is because we hate GM, hate the Prez, hate wildlife, hate clean air, hate the current global temps, and on...and on...
....!
I for one do hate all those things.

Finn I agree. Let the rich Dems put their money where their mouth is

Pete
Old 03-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Btw, how does everyone feel about all the coal we'll burn to power these 'clean' cars?

Pete
Old 03-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Btw, how does everyone feel about all the coal we'll burn to power these 'clean' cars?

Pete
i think it is insane.

The answer to energy is in wind and solar.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

In fairness using power generated at a single point (powerplants) vs multiples (like internal combustion engines) compared apples to apples generates about 1/3 less the pollution (according to dear old dad).

Pete