Go Back   Political Forums > Global political discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

LMAO!!!

'Oh no'

Here I was afraid it would be mis-read. What I meant was, what are all those ethnics doing here to begin with?

Pete
Old 07-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacaltenn View Post
FinnBow:

You don't get the impression that the Belgique split is due to animosity or hate do you?

It just seems that the desire to fashion a comfortable local culture MAY BE in conflict with an "activist" Central Govt.

It took a dictator like Tito to hold together the Balkans under strong central govt. And we all know what happened when Communism died there. THAT was NOT a rugged robust system of governance.
I don't think it's a hate thing. More of a mutual resentment. The Flemish are the hard working folks with the big industrial seaport (Antwerp), whereas the French Belgians pretty much control the seat of government and lack the work ethic/industriousness of their Dutch-speaking counterparts.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Resident octogenarian

At my last workplace we had a team of Belgian (Walloon) software engineers in for training. I was more than happy to see the back of them, downright bloody miserable.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:06 PM

Must be kinda like the Quebec deal.. Ever notice how pushy those Frenchies are when they live in your country?

(Hope MerryLander don't parlez Francaise..)

What are all those ethnics doing here Pete?

They're making lunch more interesting than peanut butter/jelly on Wonder Bread everyday..
Old 07-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Perogies this and tamales that - jeez what's a good American to eat? Who the tarnation WANTS to eat a pig wrapped up in a blanket?

And don't get me started on the schnitzel. Just what on God's green earth is a schnitzel? And just who taught these furriners to spell?

Next thing you know those ee-tal-ee-ands will want to bring over their dough discs with sauce and cheese on them. Then here comes the French with their freedom-hating potatos. The English! Good gravy! Don't they know muffins are supposed to have chocolate chips in them??

Pete
Old 07-05-2011, 07:29 PM

Don't make me remind you about TEX-MEX... You're already stewed into foreign food..

BTW: Now that you're my favorite-ever cartoon character --

"what are we gonna do tomorrow Brain?"

"We're going to do the same thing we do everyday Pinkie. We're going to take over the world!"
Old 07-06-2011, 07:20 AM
Resident octogenarian

Sorry flack, I was born in Quebec and had a good many French Canadian friends, including my late sister-in-law, rest her soul. The seperatists were summat like the tea baggers here, a lunatic fringe minority. They did have some justification considering the behaviour of some of the English Canadians. Up until WW II Quebec was pretty priest ridden but many young men got a look at the world overseas and when they came home they were not about to take crap from anyone. Later in life when I moved to Ontario I discovered that I did not think exactly the same way as other English Canadians, so I guess the milieu affected my outlook. Unfortunatel living in an all English (well American really) milieu has made my French a bit rusty.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Flac it's one of my favorite too

Brain: 'Are you pondering what I'm pondering?'

Pinky: "I think so, Brain, but if we covered the world in salad dressing wouldn't the aspargus feel left out?"

Rob, I worked with a French Canadian (over the phone) for years. It took years for me to figure out that he wasn't being a real ass - he was actually cracking wise! Just a different sense of humour is all.

Pete
Old 07-06-2011, 09:34 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Flac it's one of my favorite too

Brain: 'Are you pondering what I'm pondering?'

Pinky: "I think so, Brain, but if we covered the world in salad dressing wouldn't the aspargus feel left out?"

Rob, I worked with a French Canadian (over the phone) for years. It took years for me to figure out that he wasn't being a real ass - he was actually cracking wise! Just a different sense of humour is all.

Pete
Many jokes simply do not translate, especially when it is a play on words. BTW the best perogie I ever had was in Tel Aviv - go figure.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:32 AM

MerryLander:

No mystery. Lots of recent Russian immigrants to Israel == great perogies..

Pete:
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?" That was a running gag between me another poster on an earlier board. No one else has a clue what we were giggling about.