Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:49 AM

I paid a really good chunk of income taxes go to both state and the Feds last year, plus those on my house. If for some reason I had been able to keep that money for myself the last thing I would have done is donated it to charity. I am being honest. I would have spent it on own family and self.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I paid a really good chunk of income taxes go to both state and the Feds last year, plus those on my house. If for some reason I had been able to keep that money for myself the last thing I would have done is donated it to charity. I am being honest. I would have spent it on own family and self.
Kudo's to you!!!!!!
Honesty will always get my respect. I do think that if the taxes were less, and the economic system wasn't one powered by greed(I work for me to have more), you would have more and you would help those in need if you saw it.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCricket View Post
Kudo's to you!!!!!!
Honesty will always get my respect. I do think that if the taxes were less, and the economic system wasn't one powered by greed(I work for me to have more), you would have more and you would help those in need if you saw it.
No I think I would either save the money or spend it on stereos.Or gas.

Do not get me wrong charity is great...but it does not come close to the government saftey net in effectiveness. Our nation has its problems but sort of poo-pooing the ability of our government to solve problems by implying it is corrupt sounds like a bunch of malarkey to me. If Sister Mary is agreeing with you I know I am not in the wrong on this score.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
No I think I would either save the money or spend it on stereos.Or gas.

Do not get me wrong charity is great...but it does not come close to the government saftey net in effectiveness. Our nation has its problems but sort of poo-pooing the ability of our government to solve problems by implying it is corrupt sounds like a bunch of malarkey to me. If Sister Mary is agreeing with you I know I am not in the wrong on this score.
I did use the word corrupt. I also said there are issues with who gets to decide what need is met, as well as those who do not think there should be any welfare at all. The point was not to call out our government, but rather to show why the program is not as effective as it should be, or could be. I agree, our safety net is the best in the world. My bigger point, even though it is the best, it is not enough. I am not sure it can get better. I just know that my responsibility does not end with me paying taxes. Thus I am a so************************t.

People before business, albeit a business must make a profit to survive, but the well being of he employee should be as important as any other goal or vision in a company.
I don't really have answers, just objectives and dreams and ideals.

EDIT: BTW I am very much involved with a group of citizens who are 100% reliant on welfare for everything. They are physically, or mentally incapable of earning anything. I see what the short comings are and red tape affect. And yes there is corruption on the part of some of the providers, some of the recipients, and even some of the distributors of the welfare dollars.

Last edited by JCricket; 05-12-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:20 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
I gave some homeless looking Dude standing at an intersection where I had stopped a $5 Bill the other day. I'm under no illusions that it helped him any, just allayed my guilt momentarily.

That's basically what most charity giving amounts to.

An excuse to pat yourself on the back.

Like the local church having a bake sale and presenting some family with $186 to help towards their kid's $300,000 medical bills.

Big Fucken Deal.

That's why the government needs to have programs to help the unfortunate.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
I gave some homeless looking Dude standing at an intersection where I had stopped a $5 Bill the other day. I'm under no illusions that it helped him any, just allayed my guilt momentarily.

That's basically what most charity giving amounts to.

An excuse to pat yourself on the back.

Like the local church having a bake sale and presenting some family with $186 to help towards their kid's $300,000 medical bills.

Big Fucken Deal.

That's why the government needs to have programs to help the unfortunate.
Yes......

It is just human nature you take care of yourself first. Every now and then I will give a dollar or so to someone who asks for it.

I think the OP's heart is in the right place but his definiton of that zozolism does not correspond with my idea of what that term means. I think of the governmental system of England and Germany when I think of zozalism, not some Reagan vison of the self-reliant Marlborough man who is nice to his friends, families and neighbors. Our very good government institutions help us be nice to people we will never meet .

Politicians may be bad, but our actual governnment is made up of decent people who try to make our lives better for the most part.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:23 PM
Area Man

Quote:
You know, speaking for myself, I guess it does break down to a bit of a lack of self discipline. I am somewhat the same way. In fact, I used to give generously to United Way through payroll deduction, until corruption there came to light. At that, I stopped. I'm thinking that I don't mind giving, but if it's up to me to remember to write a check every week, it isn't happening....

The same goes for my retirement savings. They take it straight out of my check, I never see the money, I never have think of it.....So it gets done and thank goodness for that.

Dave