Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:12 PM
Admin

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics...unning-asylum/

The inimitable Charlie Pierce...

"Welcome to the monkeyhouse, America. The prion disease afflicting the Republican party finally has devoured the last vestiges of the Republican party's higher functions. I had as many problems with Boehner as Speaker as anyone did, but, dammit, he at least believed that the government should keep running. And, as much as the Times wants to believe it, this has nothing to do with the "challenges of divided government," and everything to do with the fact that the modern Republican party, especially in the House of Representatives, is completely demented."
Old 09-25-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Louie Gohmert, Ted Cruz, Pete Sessions, Steve Scalise, Dan Burton, Mike Pence, Joe Wilson, Mike Lee .......
Amazing isn't....all these government workers trying to "clean up Washington"
Old 09-25-2015, 03:06 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-2-7 View Post
Good he totally sucked......

So who is stepping up?
You're an ass, IMHO.

Last edited by BlueStreak; 09-25-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:07 PM
Area Man

An interesting turn of events, but whether it turns out to be a good thing or not remains to be seen.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:09 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
http://www.esquire.com/news-politics...unning-asylum/

The inimitable Charlie Pierce...

"Welcome to the monkeyhouse, America. The prion disease afflicting the Republican party finally has devoured the last vestiges of the Republican party's higher functions. I had as many problems with Boehner as Speaker as anyone did, but, dammit, he at least believed that the government should keep running. And, as much as the Times wants to believe it, this has nothing to do with the "challenges of divided government," and everything to do with the fact that the modern Republican party, especially in the House of Representatives, is completely demented."
Pretty much how I see it.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:13 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Pretty much how I see it.
Same here.

The Republican Party is in a self destructive death spiral.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
Same here.

The Republican Party is in a self destructive death spiral.
Given their present irredeemable state, I have to believe that would be best for the country but I don't think they're going anywhere. There are too many voters in too many Gerrymandered states who like them just the way they are. If anything is in a death spiral, it's the country as a whole.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:04 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Amazing isn't....all these government workers trying to "clean up Washington"
Republicans run on a platform that government is broken and dysfunctional and, when elected, do their damnedest to prove it.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:12 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Given their present irredeemable state, I have to believe that would be best for the country but I don't think they're going anywhere. There are too many voters in too many Gerrymandered states who like them just the way they are. If anything is in a death spiral, it's the country as a whole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Republicans run on a platform that government is broken and dysfunctional and, when elected, do their damnedest to prove it.
Exactly.

The GOP has spent decades courting lunatics, idiots and the ruthlessly greedy simply to get their votes without ever delivering on promises made. Now, the bill has come due. The crazies want exactly what they have been voting for.

I'm thinking that unless we are very, very lucky what replaces Boehner will be far worse.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:22 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Exactly.

The GOP has spent decades courting lunatics, idiots and haters simply to get their votes without ever delivering on promises made. Now, the bill has come due. The crazies want exactly what they have been voting for.

I'm thinking that unless we are very, very lucky what replaces Boehner will be far worse.
It'll likely be McCarthy, despite considerable squawking from the 'Bagger caucus and their cheerleaders on Talk Radio. He'll likely prove even weaker than Boehner in dealing with the Baggers.

Meanwhile, Ted Cruz will become de facto leader of the House 'Bagger faction (if he isn't already). It's gonna get ugly/silly, to the definite benefit of the Democrats. The circular firing squad is going to be throwing hand grenades.