Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:36 PM

Get ready for a back pedal!

Michele Bachmann says she'd consider minimum wage changes.

Sounds to me she wants it lowered.

Michele how do you expect a single Mother to raise one child on $7.25 an hour? Then be able to pay for Healthcare insurance or any other expenses really.

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/...es_1314399569/

Barney
Old 08-26-2011, 11:55 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post

Michele how do you expect a single Mother to raise one child on $7.25 an hour? Then be able to pay for Healthcare insurance or any other expenses really.

Barney
She is speaking on behalf of the Tea party masters who want taxes lowered on corporation and wages lowered for employees so that they don't take their $6 trillion bankroll somewhere else.

If they are sitting on $6Trillion why do the Masters of the Universe need more goodies before they will hire people?

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 08-27-2011, 12:09 AM

Do you think she will revise or flip on this statement when in a different venue?

Should of joined up when this forum started , but at the time was "O" so tired of all the coverage going around and the hot tempers wanted no part in more of it . I sorta remember what was going on over in AK at the time.Thought I had sign up back then but alas must not of.....

Barney
Old 08-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Do you think she will revise or flip on this statement when in a different venue?

Should of joined up when this forum started , but at the time was "O" so tired of all the coverage going around and the hot tempers wanted no part in more of it . I sorta remember what was going on over in AK at the time.Thought I had sign up back then but alas must not of.....

Barney
Go ahead and hang around this time. More often than not, the AK roots show through over here. I certainly enjoy the folks who post here. Gotta watch our for the blowhard lawyers though.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 08-27-2011, 12:27 PM

It mostly just a wash. Hamburger flippers buying from hamburger flippers.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Area Man

What were you expecting. The party of company asskissers showing their Lords and Masters that they truly care by taking from the "poor" and giving to McDonalds......

Sickening.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 08-27-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:

Barney
It is a minimum and not a maximum. Lowering the minimum wage does not mean that one has to work for that wage. Traditionally wasn't that the wage for HS students and the young folks with no experience. What does getting pregnant at a young age have to do with the minimum wage law? Aren't there already enough supplemental programs for those folks?
Old 08-27-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
She is speaking on behalf of the Tea party masters who want taxes lowered on corporation and wages lowered for employees so that they don't take their $6 trillion bankroll somewhere else.

If they are sitting on $6Trillion why do the Masters of the Universe need more goodies before they will hire people?

Regards,

D-Ray
They're sitting there because they're too damn scared of what this administration will do next. Obama has been hostile to business both in his rhetoric and in his actions both legislatively and administratively. He does little to instill confidence and a sense of future prosperity. In fact, he tends toward the exact opposite. Listen to some FDR or JFK speeches if you need to be reminded what a true inspirational democratic leader sounds like. Perhaps, this is because he sets everything up as an us against them argument and has no refrain from demagoguing his opponents, or, in some cases, even his supporters.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
It is a minimum and not a maximum. Lowering the minimum wage does not mean that one has to work for that wage. Traditionally wasn't that the wage for HS students and the young folks with no experience. What does getting pregnant at a young age have to do with the minimum wage law? Aren't there already enough supplemental programs for those folks?
The minimum wage is used for more then a starting point I have noticed. The amount of the minimum is use to calculate all other wages. When it goes up so does everyone else wages to adjust. I haven't had a raise in three years, but expenses are sure higher now.

Trust me on this, the minimum wage drops so will the pay for everyone else. Might take awhile but it will happen, might just be no raises or out and out take backs.

I used a single Mother just as an example, why do you just assume she was single and got pregnant at a young age? There are a lot of reasons why a woman is a single Mother. Plus if the wage was a living one then maybe no supplemental program would be needed right? Do you know what good child care cost these days?

When my nephew was applying at Wally World a while ago they told them how to go and get assistance because they would qualify.

Barney
Old 08-27-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
They're sitting there because they're too damn scared of what this administration will do next. Obama has been hostile to business both in his rhetoric and in his actions both legislatively and administratively. He does little to instill confidence and a sense of future prosperity. In fact, he tends toward the exact opposite. Listen to some FDR or JFK speeches if you need to be reminded what a true inspirational democratic leader sounds like. Perhaps, this is because he sets everything up as an us against them argument and has no refrain from demagoguing his opponents, or, in some cases, even his supporters.
Well, you can't expect business to invest their capital when you don't know what's going to happen next, or building widgets no one can or will buy.

That's how you go broke.

And another thing, we're talking about greedy businessmen. I guarantee you, if they thought they could make some moolah, they'd be doing it.

Besides, the numbers are meaningless to me. First it was 2 trillion, now it's 6 trillion. With a disparity like that, I think someone is pulling numbers out of their ass.

Even if we come up with a number everyone can agree on, how much of it is held by companies which manufacture goods, how much is held by the banks, how much is offshore and would be taxed to the point that using it would not be feasible if taxes were paid on it, and other considerations?

While I like to keep ideas simple, this is a complex issue. And the numbers are all over the place.

Gotta get back to the game.

Chas