Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezz View Post
Before weighing in on the topic some 7 or 8 years ago I open mindedly studied the available science being used to explain the advent of alarm over Anthropological Global Warming in adequate enough depth to formulate my own conclusions.

In summary the science is inconclusive enough on so many levels and points imo as to render alarmism on the issue as an elaborate and particularly irresponsible (in that people try to pass it off as the truth) travesty.

From the sobering application of geological time, to issues with claims about the absorption characteristics of various atmospheric gases and the behavour of their molecules in relation to radiation retention, as well as widely assumptive deductions with regards to the interactions and interdependencies of atmospheric greenhouse gases and their effects on one another including the completely theoretical premise of positive feedback, to glaring lack of completeness of any and all atmospheric models relied upon by IPCC scientists studying the issue, the science, by necessity is so speculative and creative as to better resemble an elaborate artistic indulgence for entertainment (as boring as it is) than any objective and measured scientific endeavour. Coming from a professional background rooted in mathematic science one would be inclined to view these conclusions supposedly gleaned from the prevailing science as applied to AGW theory to be premature at best, dishonest at worst, and embarrassing at the very least.
I'm discounting my carbon credits to 10 cents on the dollar, they won't last long at that price.

Sure, they're worthless as tit on a boar, but how do you put a price on feeling good about yourself? Even John D. Rockefeller liked to give a dime to a child.

While I haven't studied GW as extensive as yourself, I've come to the same conclusions from just a few simple observations.

For one, just from watching the leader of the band, the Maestro Big Al Gore. First, he lives in an energy hog house, but that's cool, because he buys "green" energy. Must have one of them "smart meters" which separates the "green" electrons from the dirty ones.

Then he has marine bio diesel engines on his tub houseboat, which BTW is larger than my house. The last time I was at the marina, I didn't see any bio diesel pumps...but Al's ready once they get them installed.

Then he wins both an Oscar and a Nobel for his "documentary" on GW, while pushing for legislation which would require that carbon credits be purchased from folks like, well, Al Gore.

Somehow, I don't think saving the planet is his true agenda, at least on a personal level.

Another place where I glean my information is from the National Weather Service. Every day, they give the particulars for the weather. And seldom do we break any records for rainfall, snowfall, high or low temperatures, etc.

Just a couple of small observations. And I smell a scam.

Chas
Old 08-26-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
is He telling us summat?
He's been telling me that for the last year, and I'm hanging in there like the mouse.

Chas
Old 08-26-2011, 07:45 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronjohn View Post
And then there's the "thorium cycle". As engineering types like to say..."technically-sweet". Thorium's far more abundant than uranium, requires little processing & no expensive (and proliferation-prone) enrichment, and much simpler & safer reactor designs. And, the ability to re-burn spent conventional nuclear fuel is built right in. Better get on the stick, USA...India's putting their eggs in the thorium basket.
Based on the CANDU design, India has several of them at the moment. The Bruce peninsula in Ontario is the world's second largest installation.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Based on the CANDU design, India has several of them at the moment. The Bruce peninsula in Ontario is the world's second largest installation.
I just looked at that plant on the web. That is quite an impressive plant. The only downside to the CANDU design that I see is the need for heavy water and a large nearby cooling source. The ability to burn less energetic fuels is a big plus.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:33 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
I just looked at that plant on the web. That is quite an impressive plant. The only downside to the CANDU design that I see is the need for heavy water and a large nearby cooling source. The ability to burn less energetic fuels is a big plus.
The other point about the design is that it is inherently fail safe, not like that GE system in Japan. But of course it was not invented here, so . . .

Last edited by merrylander; 08-28-2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again...make "green" energy effective and affordable and I'll be the greenest sumbitch on the planet.

Right now, I'm a walking "Green Alert".

Let's get real, shall we?

Ground source heat pumps work. Super insulated houses work. There are vehicles using existing technology that get 40 MPG.

Windmills and solar panels are NOT going to supply our energy needs, not at this time, if ever.

All the Obama Administration is doing it trying to make EXISTING sources of energy so expensive that all of this "GREEN" horseshit can compete.

If you think his handling of the economy poll numbers are in the shitter now, just wait until you're paying twice what you're paying for energy now...and sitting in the dark. Without a fucking job.

To be fair, his masters, the corporate monoliths are "GREEN" as well. GE is Green. British Petroleum is green. The bastards that haul your garbage to the dump are green. I've even got a can of "GREEN" lacquer thinner.

And anyone who can't see through all of this green bullshit isn't "GREEN", they're blind as a fucking bat.

IMHO.

And I am most humble, being a nobody or nothing from Bugtussell...that teaches you humility.

And now, in all humility, I'd like to ask what is wrong with dancing this the one you came with until something better comes along?

Unless your idea of a good time is sitting home alone and jacking off in the dark.

Chas
Good post Chas, it all started with freon and the "hole" in the ozone layer. Now we have green refrigerants that just give you testicular tumors.