Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
Manafort in jail, hopefully for life. Cohen pissed about Donny throwing him under the bus, making noises to his few remaining friends about cooperating with Mueller. New York DOJ investigating the Trump crime family.

It’s going to be a fun Summer. Oh, speaking of Summer, her case may compel Donny to testify and open his deepest, darkest secrets to justice...

All this the same week as his birthday. I am guessing Trump is feeling his age and then some today!
Old 06-15-2018, 12:01 PM

Old 06-15-2018, 12:23 PM

An American editorial cartoonist has been fired for skewering Trump. He likely won’t be the last.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.d49dd020479d
Old 06-15-2018, 02:40 PM

It's Official, Russians Corrupted The Election

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
An American editorial cartoonist has been fired for skewering Trump. He likely will not be the last.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.d49dd020479d

I saw a tv interview with him last night. He also did political cartoons on democratic presidents too. I hope another publication hires him.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:45 PM
Admin

Chilling.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:35 PM

Sounds like WaPo's spin on this is fake news. Seems more like he was let go as part of the cost-cutting that's going on in news rooms all over the country:

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/ro...ium%3Dsharebar

Burris told the Post-Gazette that Rogers was offered a deal in which he would be an independent contractor, producing two op-ed-page cartoons a week and his weekly strip.

“We tried hard to find a middle way, an accommodation to keep him the paper,” Burris said. He also said, “For an in-house staff cartoonist, editing is part of it. Rob’s view was, ‘Take it or leave it.’ ”

Rather, it looks like folks are working pretty hard to try to make this story something that it's probably not:

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/po...-20180608.html

“It doesn’t take much to connect the dots between the absence of Rob’s left-leaning cartoons and the recent arrival of a Trump-supporting editorial page editor,” the American Association of Editorial Cartoonists said in a statement. “The editorial pages are a public forum, not a members-only private resort in Florida.”

Sounds like what a lot of opinion - writers at WaPo and elsewhere are doing" connecting the dots with their imaginations when there aren't enough facts to do so.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Sounds like WaPo's spin on this is fake news. Seems more like he was let go as part of the cost-cutting that's going on in news rooms all over the country:

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/ro...ium%3Dsharebar

Burris told the Post-Gazette that Rogers was offered a deal in which he would be an independent contractor, producing two op-ed-page cartoons a week and his weekly strip.

“We tried hard to find a middle way, an accommodation to keep him the paper,” Burris said. He also said, “For an in-house staff cartoonist, editing is part of it. Rob’s view was, ‘Take it or leave it.’ ”

Rather, it looks like folks are working pretty hard to try to make this story something that it's probably not:

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/po...-20180608.html

“It doesn’t take much to connect the dots between the absence of Rob’s left-leaning cartoons and the recent arrival of a Trump-supporting editorial page editor,” the American Association of Editorial Cartoonists said in a statement. “The editorial pages are a public forum, not a members-only private resort in Florida.”

Sounds like what a lot of opinion - writers at WaPo and elsewhere are doing" connecting the dots with their imaginations when there aren't enough facts to do so.
Why wasn't this cartoon published?

Old 06-15-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Sounds like WaPo's spin on this is fake news. Seems more like he was let go as part of the cost-cutting that's going on in news rooms all over the country...

“Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt”

Sage advice for you, fool.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Here is a column from the man himself.
But wait! could it be Fake News from the failing New York Times

I Was Fired for Making Fun of Trump

By Rob Rogers
June 15, 2018

Mr. Rogers joined The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette as an editorial cartoonist in 1993. He worked there until this week. In 1999, he was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize.

Quote:
After 25 years as the editorial cartoonist for The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, I was fired on Thursday.

I blame Donald Trump.

Well, sort of.

I should’ve seen it coming. When I had lunch with my new boss a few months ago, he informed me that the paper’s publisher believed that the editorial cartoonist was akin to an editorial writer, and that his views should reflect the philosophy of the newspaper.

That was a new one to me.

I was trained in a tradition in which editorial cartoonists are the live wires of a publication — as one former colleague put it, the “constant irritant.” Our job is to provoke readers in a way words alone can’t. Cartoonists are not illustrators for a publisher’s politics.

When I was hired in 1993, The Post-Gazette was the liberal newspaper in town, but it always prided itself on being a forum for a lot of divergent ideas. The change in the paper did not happen overnight. From what I remember, it started in 2011, with the endorsement of the Republican candidate for Pennsylvania governor, which shocked a majority of our readership. The next big moment happened in late 2015, when my longtime boss, the editorial page editor, took a buyout after the publisher indicated that the paper might endorse Mr. Trump. Then, early this year, we published openly racist editorials.

Things really changed for me in March, when management decided that my cartoons about the president were “too angry” and said I was “obsessed with Trump.” This about a president who has declared the free press one of the greatest threats to our country.

.................................................. .......
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/15/o...l-right-region
Old 06-15-2018, 07:19 PM

Yes, besides knowing absolutely nothing about journalism, Whell once again proves himself to be a complete ass.