Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:05 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I think it is silly to worry about a 11 percent more chance of dying once you reach 65.
You got that right.

My primary care physician is trying to scare me into taking blood pressure and cholesterol reducing medications. His medical group has a computer program that calculates a bunch of alarming risks (based on my data) which are displayed on a screen.

Last edited by nailer; 04-29-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:10 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
You got that right.

My primary care physician is trying to scare me into taking blood pressure and cholesterol reducing medications. His medical group has a computer program that calculates a bunch of alarming risks (based on my data) which are displayed on a screen.
I finally caved to that pressure, due to a couple scary episodes. I now take cholesterol medication...... The thing is that there was no mention of diabetes in my check-ups until AFTER I started taking the Statin. A Google search revealed that elevated blood sugar is a known side effect of statin use, although my PCP still insists the two are not connected. Now he wants me to start taking Metformin.............

Ugh........ I don't know about all of this.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I finally caved to that pressure, due to a couple scary episodes. I now take cholesterol medication...... The thing is that there was no mention of diabetes in my check-ups until AFTER I started taking the Statin. A Google search revealed that elevated blood sugar is a known side effect of statin use, although my PCP still insists the two are not connected. Now he wants me to start taking Metformin.............

Ugh........ I don't know about all of this.
Do it before your diabetes gets worse. I am on insulin and Metformin.

Listen to your doctor not the internet.

You don't want to lose a leg or have a stroke because diabetes will sneak up on you without you knowing about it.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:08 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKpClbqc4QY
Old 04-29-2016, 11:36 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Do it before your diabetes gets worse. I am on insulin and Metformin.

You don't want to lose a leg or have a stroke because diabetes will sneak up on you without you knowing about it.
I searched for info AFTER the doctor told me my blood sugar had become too high, AFTER I had been taking the statin for about a year.

No diabetes - statins - diabetes.

I simply searched "Statins side effects" and got many hits from various sources, including the pharma manufacturers themselves, yielding very similar results.

Statins drive up your sugar levels, regardless of what the doctor tells you.

I've also discovered, through experimentation, that reasonable exercise and proper diet do WAY more to correct these problems than the drugs do. Unfortunately, I'm a lazy man and I'm not very good at maintaining a consistent exercise regimen.......
Old 04-29-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I searched for info AFTER the doctor told me my blood sugar had become too high, AFTER I had been taking the statin for about a year.

No diabetes - statins - diabetes.

I simply searched "Statins side effects" and got many hits from various sources, including the pharma manufacturers themselves, yielding very similar results.

Statins drive up your sugar levels, regardless of what the doctor tells you.

I've also discovered, through experimentation, that reasonable exercise and proper diet do WAY more to correct these problems than the drugs do. Unfortunately, I'm a lazy man and I'm not very good at maintaining a consistent exercise regimen.......
Don't fuck around with diabetes Dave.

I take the medicine and still don't do what I'm supposed too, but trust me it is a killer.