Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-04-2021, 07:36 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
The hammer can release on it own if defective......
Unlatch...

Firing pin will hit the primer on any drop, no safety on the old style.

Why a unloaded empty cylinder was always used when carried.

Know a shooter who dropped one, hammer hit ground and sent a round thru his knee............................
Food for thought:

The most popular bolt-action rifle of all time in the US, the Remington 700 (and the smaller Model 7), had a recall of ~7 million rifles manufactured over 8 years due to a defective trigger that would allow the gun to discharge without pulling the trigger.

While single-action revolvers and bolt action rifles have differing actions, both are held in a cocked position prior to discharge and both can have manufacturing defects. That said, I have no opinion on what actually happened in the Alec Baldwin case.

Last edited by finnbow; 12-04-2021 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Food for thought:

The most popular bolt-action rifle of all time in the US, the Remington 700 (and the smaller Model 7), had a recall of ~7 million rifles manufactured over 8 years due to a defective trigger that would allow the gun to discharge without pulling the trigger.

While single-action revolvers and bolt action rifles have differing actions, both are held in a cocked position prior to discharge and both can have manufacturing defects. That said, I have no opinion on what actually happened in the Alec Baldwin case.
Key to gun safety is knowing and acting as if the weapon is loaded and can fire at any time.

A actor holding a weapon must be responsible and behave accordingly. If not, IIRC manslaughter is used when an accidental cause of another's death is determined.

Also worked with a guy who's son blew off a toe with a shotgun. was resting the end of the barrel on the top of his foot. Butt up on chest and started tapping his foot......forgetting a live round was in the chamber.....just enough to send the primer to pin.

Last edited by Oerets; 12-04-2021 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:14 AM

I'm willing to bet a video camera was running that caught the whole thing, even though the crew was not filming at the time. They always analyze the movie scene from other points of view using less expensive video coverage.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/alec-bald...235702695.html

He's saying the hammer slipped as he pulled it back. That's entirely possible.

Last edited by BigElCat; 12-04-2021 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:50 PM

Gun safety has always been something from a very early age aware of.

With the very personal knowledge that a parent when fourteen was shot in the shoulder the bullet resting by his heart. By his older brother also an thought to be "unloaded revolver". Carried the projectile in the heart muscle the rest of his life.

The facts may well never be fully known or understood in this case. One fact is for sure a live round was in the pistol. The last person handling the gun may well say it was described as unloaded, still was their responsibility to check. A defective pistol if unloaded would not of killed anyone either.

Been around firearms for close to seventy years and quit going to the range for awhile due to the growing number of unsafe shooters. Quit going rock hunting during Deere and turkey season. For the same reasons, too many hunters firing unsafely.

Only started back going to the range at times when empty of other shooters. Never on weekends or late afternoons. Early mornings before noon seem to be the best times for being alone.
Old 12-04-2021, 01:58 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Been around firearms for close to seventy years and quit going to the range for awhile due to the growing number of unsafe shooters. Quit going rock hunting during Deere and turkey season. For the same reasons, too many hunters firing unsafely.

Only started back going to the range at times when empty of other shooters. Never on weekends or late afternoons. Early mornings before noon seem to be the best times for being alone.
Me too. I've been hunting and shooting for ~60 years (though I rarely hunt any more now that my sons are out of the house and dragging a deer out of the woods is a lot of work for a 68 year old). I belong to a gun club, am a range safety officer, a NRA Distinguished Expert in Smallbore, have taught NRA Hunter Safety, and was a Rifle & Shotgun Shooting instructor for the Boy Scouts for a couple of years.

Despite (or because of) these bona fides, I'm an advocate of strict training requirements and background checks for gun ownership. Moreover, I would support the banning of all autoloading firearms and/or limiting magazine capacity for detachable magazines to 5 rounds. As it stands, one can only have 3 rounds in your shotgun to hunt gamebirds and hitting a flying dove is far more difficult than hitting a person close enough to pose a threat. The fetishization of the AR-15 is sickness IMO.
Old 12-04-2021, 02:28 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Speaking of gun fetishization (particularly of black military rifles), here's the Christmas picture of Tom Massie, Congressman from KY, released in the days following the school shootings in Michigan. I'm betting the sum total of penis lengths of the three guys in this picture is no more than 6".
Old 12-05-2021, 02:08 PM

The more time goes by a simple "toys" does not go far enough to explain the love and fascination for guns some have in this country.

Is it a addiction like affliction, or a Psychosis or mental illness of some kind? This love of a gun over people.

That the effected are so afraid that they need a gun to face the world. In order to feel safe around others have the need to carry a deadly weapon.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:45 AM

This country has a historical attitude of real men carry guns and whenever there's a problem the solution is to shoot it. When you ad that to my sig line, well...
Old 12-06-2021, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Speaking of gun fetishization (particularly of black military rifles), here's the Christmas picture of Tom Massie, Congressman from KY, released in the days following the school shootings in Michigan. I'm betting the sum total of penis lengths of the three guys in this picture is no more than 6".
Just because---:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FF4hB6wWYAM7H6O.jpeg (67.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 12-07-2021, 10:28 AM

They know very well the audience they're playing to.