Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Conspiracy theory corner

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:21 AM

FAKE NEWS EXPOSED: A Service of PoliticalChat.org

For all of you concerned about the proliferation of so-called "fake news" sites, I'm here to help. I know you're all so very concerned that "gullible people" might not be able to discern between internet news stories that are parodies versus those that are "real" and put out by "reputable" journalists. As patriotic Americans, we just can't let such misinformation go unchallenged.

So, I'll post here - for the world to see - news that is obviously fake, or certainly of questionable origin. We'll look at individual stories, and we'll look at sites that put out dubious information specifically designed to fool folks who might believe just about anything they read on the web.

Let's start with a trip down memory lane, and have a look at a couple of our old, whacky friends: those tricksters and politicsusa.com and the Huffington Post. I fear that these two "digital rags" have contributed mightily to the cases of "post-election stress syndrome" (PESS) that is so pervasive these days among folks who lean left in their views.

Here are a couple key examples of why PESS abounds:

The folks at politicsusa.com were merciless in fooling poor lefties, using dubious polling data (pollsters being another fertile source of fake news), polling that suggested Clinton was going to win last month's election.

Huffington Post is even more aggressive on this point, with information left on their website that suggests to some gullible folks that Hillary might yet pull out a win with more than a 5 point polling lead. In fact, they bravely declare that their modeling more than 99% of the time predicted a Clinton win. Maybe still fanning hope for an upset in the electoral college vote?

Now, fast forward. Fakenewswatch.com is a site that provides a service that identifies sites that publish fake news. The "bad" category is occupied by sites that are "FAKE/HOAX NEWS WEBSITES", defined as sites that "....are satire sites that are not funny. They are an attempt to play on gullible people who do not check sources and will just pass the news on as if it were really true."

Here's a story that comes from a site categorized as FAKE/HOAX NEWS": newsmutiny.com. newsmutiny.com describes itself as "Satire for the wise. News for the dumb." Horrifying.

A lead story today on newsmutiny.com is this one:

Trump Nominates Chris Christie Ambassador to Fatfuckistan

Now, in case there are some poor folks out there who believe this is true, as a service to our readers let me state that this is story is categorically false. The Trump folks have already stated that they will look to aggressively cut government spending. Since Mr. Christie insisted as a condition of acceptance for the ambassador role that the purchase of two adjacent seats for any government air travel to accommodate his girth was a requirement, Trump retracted the job offer.

I'm proud to support this effort to inform, and help counteract the corrosive impact of "fake news".

Last edited by whell; 08-02-2023 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:39 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

The right conflates opinions they disagree with, humor they don't get, and inaccurate polling with fake news in an effort to say "everybody's doing it" or "all news other than Fox News, Breitbart and talk radio are fake news." You've fallen for the scam. Congrats.

Meanwhile, Trump's National Security Advisor and Trump himself suck up this stuff like a vacuum cleaner and tweet it out to the masses and Trump installs one of the great purveyors of fake news as his primary White House policy advisor.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
The right conflates opinions they disagree with, humor they don't get, and inaccurate polling with fake news in an effort to say "everybody's doing it" or "all news other than Fox News, Breitbart and talk radio are fake news." You've fallen for the scam. Congrats.

Meanwhile, Trump's National Security Advisor and Trump himself suck up this stuff like a vacuum cleaner and tweet it out to the masses and Trump installs one of the great purveyors of fake news as his primary White House policy advisor.
There, there Finn. It's OK. I know these are troubling times for you. I can see it in your posts. Its with folks like you in mind that this thread was created. I just want to help with your recovery and healing.

Trump was named "Person of the Year" by Time Magazine. I suspect you'll rush to make the lame point that Hitler and Stalin were once named Person of the Year as well, so I'll save you the trouble of embarrassing yourself with that, since its really not the point.

The point is the observation that the writer of the story makes about the electorate:

For those who believe this is all for the better, Trump’s victory represents a long-overdue rebuke to an entrenched and arrogant governing class; for those who see it as for the worse, the destruction extends to cherished norms of civility and discourse, a politics poisoned by vile streams of racism, sexism, nativism. To his believers, he delivers change—broad, deep, historic change, not modest measures doled out in Dixie cups; to his detractors, he inspires fear both for what he may do and what may be done in his name.

So, there you are Finn. The writer understands your fear, and that your fear motivates you and colors your perceptions. Take heart that you're not alone, but also take heart that folks are here to help.

Oh, and Fox News polling forecast a Hillary win, too. So I guess Fox contributed to fake election news as well.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:27 AM

To appease the Hillarybots.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
To appease the Hillarybots.

Thanks for that. I had forgotten about that aborted attempt at fake news.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:44 AM
Ready

Rajoo, you're getting more whell-like every day.

Speaking of whell...the OP is a stupid argument that misrepresents and distorts reality. It waves the 'great American people' flag and scoffs that no one will be taken in by satire? As if no BIG barrels of bullshit are not presented as real every day, and taken in as such by a whole bunch of people hooked on the right's propaganda narratives.

As if not one just showed up at a pizza restaurant and shot off his gun.

"Pizzagate" puts the lie to the OP, completely.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:47 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Thanks for that. I had forgotten about that aborted attempt at fake news.
There you go again, distorting reality. Or should I say 'lying.'
Old 12-07-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Rajoo, you're getting more whell-like every day.
Just having a bit of fun DQ and I do owe the Hill's here occasional pleasantries.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:56 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
Just having a bit of fun DQ and I do owe the Hill's here occasional pleasantries.
Stuff it. You bait for your own pleasure.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:03 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Stuff it. You bait for your own pleasure.
Not just his pleasure.

I enjoyed it too.