Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:00 AM
Admin

'If you think traffic is bad now, wait for the inland migration'

"When rising waters from superstorms like Katrina or Sandy inundate heavily populated coastal communities, vast numbers of people will abandon their destroyed homes and flee for safety and shelter elsewhere.
Where will they go — and how will their destination cities cope with them?
That’s the focus of a new study that projects as many as 13.1 million Americans could become climate refugees by the end of this century, an influx of people that could stress inland cities, particularly those already grappling with population growth, urban development, traffic congestion, and water management.
“We typically think about sea-level rise as a coastal issue, but if people are forced to move because their houses become inundated, the migration could affect many landlocked communities as well,” said Mathew Hauer, a demographer at the University of Georgia and author of the study, published in the journal Nature Climate Change. “For many inland areas, incorporating climate change scenarios into their strategic long-range planning would be an appropriate strategy.
While other research has assessed sea-level rise with the goal of planning critical infrastructure to protect fragile populated coastlines, this study is believed to be the first to model the destinations of millions of displaced coastal migrants.” TP

https://thinkprogress.org/sea-level-...d-d5f9e995c8bd

Interesting study.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:56 AM

Colorado's population increased about 10% over the last 7 years. This is due to many factors, including the legalization of pot. It is but a taste of what is to come. It is awful. Traffic is horrific. The amount of homeless begging has reached a chronic crisis level. Most of the parking lots around here are showing "shanty town" type population of folks living out of a car or camper and then begging on the corners for $'s.

When the climate change starts pushing people inward it is going to get ugly.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:01 AM

We have encampments all over here, because city governments will take them right down for health reasons, public transit and state highway land is now the favorite place. The tent city at the rapid transit property in downtown Berserkely looks amazing clean and orderly.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:25 AM

Salt Lake City has had serious problems with homeless folk for some time. Many problems seem associated with drug addiction and social disenfranchisement.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:13 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
"When rising waters from superstorms like Katrina or Sandy inundate heavily populated coastal communities, vast numbers of people will abandon their destroyed homes and flee for safety and shelter elsewhere.
Where will they go — and how will their destination cities cope with them?
That’s the focus of a new study that projects as many as 13.1 million Americans could become climate refugees by the end of this century, an influx of people that could stress inland cities, particularly those already grappling with population growth, urban development, traffic congestion, and water management.
“We typically think about sea-level rise as a coastal issue, but if people are forced to move because their houses become inundated, the migration could affect many landlocked communities as well,” said Mathew Hauer, a demographer at the University of Georgia and author of the study, published in the journal Nature Climate Change. “For many inland areas, incorporating climate change scenarios into their strategic long-range planning would be an appropriate strategy.
While other research has assessed sea-level rise with the goal of planning critical infrastructure to protect fragile populated coastlines, this study is believed to be the first to model the destinations of millions of displaced coastal migrants.” TP

https://thinkprogress.org/sea-level-...d-d5f9e995c8bd

Interesting study.
From the linked article: Katrina.....No comprehensive records exist of their destinations.

As to Sandy: From my anecdotal experience the people affected did not leave the coastal areas.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:04 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
From the linked article: Katrina.....No comprehensive records exist of their destinations.

As to Sandy: From my anecdotal experience the people affected did not leave the coastal areas.
But when the 'coastal area' shifts 75 miles inland I expect I will see the county change the rules so that more than my one house can be built on my 4.47 acres.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:32 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Rob, by the time that comes to pass, I expect we will all be gone.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:06 PM

Chill out

I don't think so we have been having natural disasters for years and now one has left - Global warming is a SLOOOOOW process we will adapt. Stop spending trillions of dollarson this ridiculous theory.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:47 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Welcome to the site!
Old 06-22-2017, 02:58 PM

The facts are the earth is 4.5 billion years old and we have only been here for 200,000 years. We are all part of nature, all of your global warming morons need to chill out you think humans are special, were not we will become extinct at some point and guess what the earth will still be here. If god was watching us he would be laughing his ass off.