Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:54 AM

The wealthy Conservative mantra seems to go thus:
"Nobody is going to abridge my God given right to take what I want from anyone I please by whatever means necessary."
Short form:
" I've got mine, fuck you."

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Pio1980; 07-28-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:02 PM

When you let the wealthy ones talk long enuff, it always seems to distill to the short form, and the working class is tutored by them to resent that someone undeserving somewhere somehow got something for free that they had to work for, in the guise of welfare assistance.

Maybe it comes down to who would rather leave a better world or a larger estate.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Pio1980; 07-28-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:24 PM
Ready

George Harrison gave us the even shorter form:

I Me Mine
Old 07-28-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
As you can tell by my signature, I am an independent. I vote my conscience, no matter what the party affiliation is. Actually, that isn't quite true as my conscience tells me my vote isn't worth squat. At least I make an attempt. I am pro gun, pro choice, and anti fiscal waste. I believe there is plenty of money in the coffers to have adequate health care, national defense, and necessary social programs without hiking middle class taxes. We just need to go back to pre Reagan taxation and subdue corporate subsidies. The economy thrived before him, mostly because folks had money to spend. Guess that makes me a fuckered up dreamer.
Actually, though you might not like hearing it, it makes you a species long thought extinct: a liberal Republican.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I asked that there please be no name calling. If you continue i'll tell you mom on you !
So says the grumpy clown.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:48 PM

I'm old enough to remember when Republicans belonged to the human race but I still never subscribed to the notion that government has no role to play in working for the collective good. (Even the human variety of Republican tried to kill Social Security during Roosevelt's presidency.)

Republicans have always viewed politics and social well-being as a zero sum game. In other words, anything that government does for you is at my expense and, therefore, has a negative effect on my well-being.

Democrats, on the other hand, recognize that the value of a society or of a political system is determined by how it cares for everyone, from the greatest to the least among us and that, when one suffers, all suffer.

That is how I've always viewed things and why I've always voted Democratic. Now that the Republicans are irrevocably committed to destroying the commons and anyone or anything that strives to elevate the neediest among us, the more important I believe it is that we put Democrats in office.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:04 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I am registered as a Democrat, although I think that the Democrats are too conservative and too much under corporate influence. After all, our current President has operated as a moderate Republican. Overall, I believe that, despite the corporate influence, the Democrats are more likely to cut working people a break.

Perhaps the most compelling reason to have a Democratic president is the configuration of the courts. The President has the privilege, with the advice and consent of the Senate, to appoint all federal judges. The Supreme Court is most important, but it is important to remember that all federal judges receive lifetime appointments. Trial level federal judges can have substantial impact on the lives of people. That's why, as much as I would love to see Bernie Sanders in office, my number one concern is just win baby.

Regards,

D-Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
I'm old enough to remember when Republicans belonged to the human race but I still never subscribed to the notion that government has no role to play in working for the collective good. (Even the human variety of Republican tried to kill Social Security during Roosevelt's presidency.)

Republicans have always viewed politics and social well-being as a zero sum game. In other words, anything that government does for you is at my expense and, therefore, has a negative effect on my well-being.

Democrats, on the other hand, recognize that the value of a society or of a political system is determined by how it cares for everyone, from the greatest to the least among us and that, when one suffers, all suffer.

That is how I've always viewed things and why I've always voted Democratic. Now that the Republicans are irrevocably committed to destroying the commons and anyone or anything that strives to elevate the neediest among us, the more important I believe it is that we put Democrats in office.
Sounds about right to me.

All the best, Bob.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:05 PM
Admin

Your turn, Dave/Grumpy.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:11 PM

I find myself not registered to vote for the first time since I turned 18. Not sure if I even want to register. Not sure I even care any more.

I would call myself independent though. Democrats seem to manage to get the most done that is actually for the general good. Republicans...well coming from Kansas all I saw them do is cause mayhem and despair while enriching a very small and wealthy pocket of people on the backs of the middle class and poor. They seem to thrill in making life as hard as possible for the lower classes. They stand for hate and intolerance more than anything. I can't really support that kind of think.

Last edited by MrPots; 07-28-2015 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Guess either I posed the question the wrong way or some just chose to go off on political rants...