Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:26 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
I'm not. Do you feel lucky?.... Granted, the guy in the hoodie isn't pointing a .44 magnum Smith & Wesson revolver at you, asking if you can count. or yelling at a chair.
How about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
For me, the scenario is that I have a loaded weapon where it is available to me, but not to a toddler. My weapon is hidden, where a toddler (or most anyone, for that matter) would never know there's even a storage compartment, much less a gun. Furthermore, if a toddler were to somehow get a hold of my gun, they do not have the physical strength to operate the action.

Further, your scenario starts with the threat standing in front of me pointing a gun. How did he get in my house without me knowing it? I've got an alarm system with intrusion and motion sensors. I've also got a dog that will alert on any unusual noises.

How about this scenario- Bad guy breaks the glass on the front door. You wake up and call 911. Cops get on their horse. You retreat to a closet while talking to the dispatcher. Bad guy finds you and puts a bullet through your head as you cower in a fetal position begging for your life.

I'd rather go down reaching for a gun.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:47 PM
Admin

I think that he welded the door shut to his bunker when the first bit of snow flew up there in Sarahtown and now has a bad case of cabin fever.

What do you think?
Old 01-24-2013, 07:28 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
Come on Don, you're better than that.
No, JJ. You posted a propaganda poster with a guy in a hood and a mask aiming a gun at the reader. The clear import was that if one in that situation had a gun, all would be good. It just ain't true. Most responsible gun owners have their guns in a safe. In a safe, they aren't much response to a guy holding a gun on them. To be prepared to face the scenario presented in the propaganda poster, one would have to be in a position of being armed and ready to fire. That is fanciful, which makes the point made by the poster fanciful as well. I did not create the imagery in the poster, but I have pointed out how that imagery renders its textual message ridiculous.

There are legitimate arguments to be made on many (but not all) positions in the gun debate. That piece of propaganda did not make a legitimate argument.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-25-2013, 06:17 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
No, JJ. You posted a propaganda poster with a guy in a hood and a mask aiming a gun at the reader. The clear import was that if one in that situation had a gun, all would be good. It just ain't true. Most responsible gun owners have their guns in a safe. In a safe, they aren't much response to a guy holding a gun on them. To be prepared to face the scenario presented in the propaganda poster, one would have to be in a position of being armed and ready to fire. That is fanciful, which makes the point made by the poster fanciful as well. I did not create the imagery in the poster, but I have pointed out how that imagery renders its textual message ridiculous.

There are legitimate arguments to be made on many (but not all) positions in the gun debate. That piece of propaganda did not make a legitimate argument.

Regards,

D-Ray
I will agree with you WRT it being too late if things have gone as far as the picture depicts. However, the text mentions breaking and entering. I believe I would be awake by the time the hood got that close to me. That's a whole different scenario.

See what is available here... These don't require fumbling with keys or turning on lights to operate combination locks. Put you hand on it and arm yourself.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/gun-safe...130125122202:s

(No affiliation)

Last edited by JJIII; 01-25-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:12 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
...and in an ironic twist, the 2nd amendment is about the only one the ACLU won't touch with a 10 foot pole.

Marc
Are you another one of those folks who completely misunderstands the ACLU?
I'll give you a small clue;

Their views on the 2nd Amendment are probably closer to yours than you think.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 01-25-2013 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:28 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
crickets?

Regards,

D-Ray

JIs poster is probably closer to reality than some suburban guy....

If you woke up to a gun pointed in your face you would probably do what he says.

However in many cases, you wake up when they break your door down.

"Kendra St. Clair, a 12-year-old at home alone one day during her fall break, called her mother at work to say there was a man repeatedly ringing the doorbell and banging on the door. When no one answered the door, she said he disappeared. St. Clair's mother instructed her daughter to get her .40-cal. Glock pistol and go into a bathroom closet. St. Clair heard him break in through the back door. As the man made his way through her home, 911 dispatchers kept St. Clair on the phone. He was inside the home for approximately six minutes before he made his way to the bathroom where St. Clair was hiding. When she saw the door knob begin to turn, she fired the gun. The 32-year-old intruder was taken into custody after being treated for a gunshot to the chest. (The Oklahoman, Durant, OK, 10/20/12)"

http://www.americanrifleman.org/Blog...x?cid=25&id=21

Pete
Old 01-25-2013, 09:41 AM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Lots of bloviation here. I'll try to be succinct.

1. Anyone who has carried a gun for a living will tell you they cause more issues than they solve.

2. While there are a few folk who appreciate them as machines most ownership is produced by fear.

3. Amendments are neither static or sacrosanct, they are limited with some regularity due to a variety of reasons.

4. That's controlled by the American people who have reached a critical mass in support of reasonable restrictions.

5. Folks mentioned in #2 are having issues understanding the FACT available in #3, making them even more fearful.

6. They'll just have to live with change.

7. If they get all uppity and violent about it, all they've done is show precisely WHY they require said restrictions.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:46 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post

JIs poster is probably closer to reality than some suburban guy....

If you woke up to a gun pointed in your face you would probably do what he says.

However in many cases, you wake up when they break your door down.

"Kendra St. Clair, a 12-year-old at home alone one day during her fall break, called her mother at work to say there was a man repeatedly ringing the doorbell and banging on the door. When no one answered the door, she said he disappeared. St. Clair's mother instructed her daughter to get her .40-cal. Glock pistol and go into a bathroom closet. St. Clair heard him break in through the back door. As the man made his way through her home, 911 dispatchers kept St. Clair on the phone. He was inside the home for approximately six minutes before he made his way to the bathroom where St. Clair was hiding. When she saw the door knob begin to turn, she fired the gun. The 32-year-old intruder was taken into custody after being treated for a gunshot to the chest. (The Oklahoman, Durant, OK, 10/20/12)"

http://www.americanrifleman.org/Blog...x?cid=25&id=21

Pete
Good thing the person behind that door was the intruder...............

Regards,
Dave
Old 01-25-2013, 09:48 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Lots of bloviation here. I'll try to be succinct.

1. Anyone who has carried a gun for a living will tell you they cause more issues than they solve.

2. While there are a few folk who appreciate them as machines most ownership is produced by fear.

3. Amendments are neither static or sacrosanct, they are limited with some regularity due to a variety of reasons.

4. That's controlled by the American people who have reached a critical mass in support of reasonable restrictions.

5. Folks mentioned in #2 are having issues understanding the FACT available in #3, making them even more fearful.

6. They'll just have to live with change.

7. If they get all uppity and violent about it, all they've done is show precisely WHY they require said restrictions.
Beautiful post, Zeke. Bravo, my good man, Bravo!!!

Regards,
Dave
Old 01-25-2013, 09:53 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

If #1 is true, why do they carry them?

Dave, good thing she had a gun.

Pete