Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Audiokarma Temp

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:32 AM
Area Man

Headphones?

Who here uses headphones to any significant extent?

What kind do you have and how do you like them.

I have two sets.

Grado SR-125-

Great sound for the money, sadistically uncomfortable. Plus, at 32 ohm, they are somewhat incompatible with my Bottlehead amp. Sound nice with my McIntosh and Luxman equipment but the bass is loose and sloppy with the OTL BH Crack. At any rate, I have written Grado and told them that I, for one, would love to upgrade and go with Grado, if their headphones didn't possess comfort features designed by the Grand Inquisitor.

Beyerdynamic DT880-

Glorious comfort, highly refined sound, but also twice the price of the Grados.
The only fault I find sound-wise is the bass is a tad lean. The Bottlehead drives them beautifully. It has been suggested that I upgrade to the Sennheiser HD650, if I want deeper bass with more body. But.......$500?

Dave
Old 03-15-2014, 07:51 AM
Resident octogenarian

Sennheiser HD201 used mainly when editing music on the PC as the PC speakers wont tell you if there is any 60/120 Hz hum present. They were must useful in editing the Mozart Requiem tape we have where Florence was singing the soprano part. I had not realized how much low frequency noise was on that tape.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:54 AM

I don't used them alot. When mowing I have a cheap pair of school over the ear ones that also work to deaden the outside sound.

Sold a nice pair of B&W P5's that were real nice. Liked them in every way. Just never used them. Don't miss them either. Picked up a couple of new Koss PRO4AA's in the box that I need to listen to.

Barney
Old 03-15-2014, 08:01 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Sennheiser HD201 used mainly when editing music on the PC as the PC speakers wont tell you if there is any 60/120 Hz hum present. They were must useful in editing the Mozart Requiem tape we have where Florence was singing the soprano part. I had not realized how much low frequency noise was on that tape.
My sister has a pair of those. Excellent sound for a $40 headphone. If that's the tip of the iceberg for Senn sound, I might decide to upgrade to Senns after all.

(I recently had to repair the cord. She walked away from her computer with them on her head one too many times.)

Dave
Old 03-15-2014, 08:03 AM
Area Man

I listen with cans more, now because of my night owl lifestyle/work arrangement. Can't blast Black Sabbath when others are sleeping.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:18 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
My sister has a pair of those. Excellent sound for a $40 headphone. If that's the tip of the iceberg for Senn sound, I might decide to upgrade to Senns after all.

(I recently had to repair the cord. She walked away from her computer with them on her head one too many times.)

Dave
I was quite surprised at the sound quality for the price. I had previously extracted all the music from the tape and thought that I had cleaned them up. PC speakers went west so I bought a pair that happens to have a headphone jack. I was looking for something else and happened to hear one of the segments with the cans - ouch!

Well Cool2000 has some nice filtering setups so first I ran all 14 sections through a 60/120 notch filter. After that I used the reverb feature to add some open church ambience as the whole tape was only voice quality and it was made on a small portable cassette machine of not exactly concert hall quality.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:24 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
I listen with cans more, now because of my night owl lifestyle/work arrangement. Can't blast Black Sabbath when others are sleeping.
There is another use for cans that few realize. Back in Quebec my dentist had a pair for his patients to use. Sound at sufficient levels can block out pain. When our son was four he accidentally scratched the cornea of my right eye. The hospital emergency people put in eye drops that dulled the pain but when it wore off we had nowt in the house. Remembering the dentist I put on the cans and cranked up a classical music station, blessed relief!
Old 03-15-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Just me and the wife now. I can go up stairs close the door and let it rip! But my ears ring most of the time and listening at high volumes or headphones will really get them going.

Barney
Old 03-15-2014, 09:47 AM
Jigsawed

I never could find a comfortable pair, plus I dread the nearness to my eardrum.

So I avoid the format.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:11 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
AKG K240 Monitor

I picked up a dirt cheap headphone amp to push the 600 ohm load and they went from good to stellar.

All of my listening is headphones, currently.