Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:06 AM

A while back , husband and I watched No Way Out with Kevin Costner. I am not a big fan of his, but the movie was great.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:40 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
A while back , husband and I watched No Way Out with Kevin Costner. I am not a big fan of his, but the movie was great.
An oldie but a goodie from I guy that I too am no fan of.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:03 AM

BlacKKKlansman. The parallels to Trumpism, with all the same hatred, ignorance, incompetence, stupidity were clear throughout the movie. Actual footage from Charlottesville at the end shows nothing has changed; ignorant is as ignorant does. Which character did you most identify with, Whell? David Duke, or one of the local yokels?
Old 02-25-2019, 07:09 AM
Ready

Watched 'Annihilation' with Natalie Portman on Netflix a few days ago. Film was Sci-Fi with a strong horror streak. Uncanny creepy menace spreading on Earth; hero must journey to the center of the creepiness. There are some strong parallels to 'Alien,' though this is a smaller movie. Other recognizable nods to predecessor films include a focus on 'found video' that makes one think of Blair Witch, and an aural cue that reminds one of Close Encounters.

Like all horror films, I figure this one can be understood symbolically, as a translation/mutation of the real horrors of existence. But explaining the details of the narrative from this POV takes work, I haven't done the work. The message of horror films is always 'If you fight against Death, maybe you can beat it.' Or, maybe not.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:24 PM
Admin

Erin Brockovich.

F**k PG&E.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:49 PM

We've been re-watching The Durrells in Corfu on Amazon. Delightful.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:12 PM

Just watched "The Falcon and the Snowman" for the first time. Another great performance by Sean Penn.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:57 PM
Admin

'The Post' with Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks.

Finally got around to watching this, loved the ending. The current occupant should take note.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:34 AM

Question for the room: What movie have you seen the most times? I tend to recycle my favorites at least once a year, although some of my favorites you just can't watch over and over. An example would be "Requiem For A Dream". I really liked the movie but damn it was dark.

The movie I've seen the most is by far "Goodfellas". Saw it first when I rented it in '91. I would estimate I have seen it around 50 times, and youtubed certain scenes countless times.

Close second would be "Boogie Nights". You may have guessed that from my name and AV. Another favorite of mine that I can't watch over and over is "Magnolia" by the same director(P.T. Anderson, love his movies). Too heavy.

Last edited by Jack Horner; 04-12-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:39 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Horner View Post
Question for the room: What movie have you seen the most times? I tend to recycle my favorites at least once a year, although some of my favorites you just can't watch over and over. An example would be "Requiem For A Dream". I really liked the movie but damn it was dark.

The movie I've seen the most is by far "Goodfellas". Saw it first when I rented it in '91. I would estimate I have seen it around 50 times, and youtubed certain scenes countless times.

Close second would be "Boogie Nights". You may have guessed that from my name and AV. Another favorite of mine that I can't watch over and over is "Magnolia" by the same director(P.T. Anderson, love his movies). Too heavy.
Always liked 'The Postman' with Tom Petty and some Hollywood ac-tor who played in 'Field of Dreams'.