Clinton 1 5.00%
Bush Jr 8 40.00%
Obama 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by spasmo55 View Post
Not to dispute your point, but to share some knowledge with you. In order for the feds to move in it must be requested by the state (Governor). That goes for any fed relief.

If what I read can be trusted, that took 2 days?

If the Pres were to mobilize the National Guard, that in effect declares Martial Law, making the Federal Gov't responsible for ALL services, Police, Fire, Post Office (yes soldiers must take over the mail), Transportation, Medical. You as citizens also lose some rights in this process as military laws replace the laws of the state. Basically the Mayor of New Orleans and the Governor of the state are taken out of the authority loop, and the senior military person on the ground is the Boss.

This also means your local police, and state troopers are no longer law enforcement, MP's take over this function.

I doubt if the folks in LA or the nation would have liked that option. I doubt the resources were in place in LA to handle this, so the pres would have to mobilize National Guard from other states or bring in the Active military, neither paints a pretty picture for Americans may love their military but would not under martial law.

If you may recall from Andrew, the federal troops were being assaulted and releaved of their weapons, by armed drug dealers, because they knew the Fed Troops had no ammunition. Members of the FLARNG were locked and loaded, and were being attached to the feds to help stop this.

The above is not my opinion, as I served 56 days in the Miami-Dade area as a member of the FLARNG, and whenever I left the "Compound", I was armed and locked & loaded.

I will concede that Andrew was not as bad as Katrina, but up to Katrina it was the worst, and it was were the playbook received its' last major modifications.

They never Federalized Andrew, perhaps they should have w/Katrina, but hindsight makes it lot easier to determine what should have been done.
That there is a right well thought out excuse.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
That there is a right well thought out excuse.
there. i fixed it for you.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
But just to keep peace in the family, I'll say it. Bush is a dumb SOB. Don't mean it, but I said it.
Why cave? I would rather you be honest with your opinion.
So some of us don't agree on all issues or opinions. BFD. We're all adults here. That's why they're called "opinions".
Old 09-07-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenMaster View Post
Why cave? I would rather you be honest with your opinion.
So some of us don't agree on all issues or opinions. BFD. We're all adults here. That's why they're called "opinions".
I was being a wise ass.

Chas
Old 09-07-2009, 09:33 AM

I don't have a helluva lot of sympathy for the Katrina "victims"...We knew for at least a week the damthing was comin', you turned on ANY TV, all you could see was this huge red-ass blob heading straight for Nawlins, that's all they talked about, either hunt you a dry hole, or get the F!$% out...This ain't rocket science. I think even if I was poor, I could have found SOMEBODY to take me somewheres else-Did ALL those people not either have family or friends elsewhere they could have stayed with ? OK, the authorities DID kinda look like Ned in the 1st grade primer, & then played "Who shot John ?" afterwards...But YOU are ultimately responsible for YOUR own backside...If you are waiting on the Gummint-at whichever level-to rescue yr butt, you are likely gonna end up disappointed...Or dead. And THINK....New Orleans typically gets clobbered once every 25 years or so, at least...This WILL happen again. That in itself would give me serious pause to want to settle down permanent-like there. Another thing...The whole friggin' place is built BELOW SEA LEVEL....Hello ! You're livin' in a place that 1) gets hit by a hurricane at least once every generation, & 2) Its all below sea level. That means "Normally under Water"...Don't come Pissin' & Moanin' when you get to know yr rooftop up close & personal...'Cause odds are, you WILL...
Old 09-07-2009, 10:06 AM

Nothin' like givin' a bunch of Gubbmitt money to a bunch of idiots.

Case in point. We have a little town about 30 miles away that the Missouri River flooded twice back in the 90's. The government came in, gave everyone a bunch of money to repair their houses, and this is a sight to behold.

One cretin I know jacked his house up and built a foundation under it to keep it from flooding. After 15 yrs, he still gains entry by climbing up an extension ladder and over the railing onto his porch. And his house was worth maybe 10K BEFORE it was flooded twice.

The best one is the cretin who took his tar paper shack that had ZERO value, installed 8 20' high by app 24" concrete piers with a steel framework on the top, and set his shack on top of it. Now he can't even work on his shack without a snorklelift, so he hasn't turned a tap since. Besides, the piers are set on sand, what do you think's gonna happen the next time the river floods?

The government should have said, "Here's your money. You can do with it what you want, you can build what you want...but you ain't doin' it here in a flood plain."

Used to be a cute little town, but the river truly does hold the 1st mortgage, and it cashed it in. Now it's just a pitiful sight, and a complete waste of good money.

Chas
Old 09-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Resident octogenarian

Never understood folks who do that. Our place is 70 feet above the 100 year flood mark.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Abby Normal

Our place is under the 100 year flood level so I am forced to buy flood insurance.

Thing is I have had family in this area over 150 years and there has never been a flood. If fact before the ditches were dung (around 150 years ago) the entire area was swamp and all the houses in the area are built on what had been islands!
Bottom line is that I am forced to subsidize insurance rates for folks who build on the ocean and next to flood prone rivers.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Bottom line is that I am forced to subsidize insurance rates for folks who build on the ocean and next to flood prone rivers.
We all are...
Old 09-08-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Our place is under the 100 year flood level so I am forced to buy flood insurance.
Well, in 2008 we exceeded the 500 yr flood level, so you may be glad someday. Interesting how many folks here claimed they weren't insured, WTF.

You may have heard of the town of Oakville, IA during the coverage last year, it was our local "Poster Child" community, wiped out by the flood. I feel for these people to an extent, I guess because my sister-inlaws' family got washed out, parents, siblings the "Homeplace" as it is known around here. Tough on folks, they have since bought elsewhere, well out of the floodplain.

But the town is rebuilding eventhough 2 levies in the area have been de-certified by the Corp of Engineers and will not be repaired. Hard to feel sorry for such people. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Of course the cities of Cedar Rapids and Iowa City are rebuilding, so what do you expect from the common folks?

Mother Nature can be a cruel mistress!! Pass the sandbags please.