Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:26 PM

If only this somehow could be interpreted as players of color kneeling in front of their owners, coaches and fans, all would be well.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:28 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Incidentally, who cares? This isn't about the national anthem. Its about the time and place that individuals choose to protest.
And, just where is the proper "time and place" for free speech? Free speech that you disagree with, that is?

Outside the gate and only on public property but, not in the street and only with a permit from government officials who have a vested interest in the protesters not being there?

Doesn't sound much like actual free speech to me.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:20 PM

The patriotic thing has always been a mystery to me. It's like taking pride in someone else's accomplishments thru random circumstances of birth instead of one's own, unless you passed the citizenship exam or provided meritorious service to your fellow citizens.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:19 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
The patriotic thing has always been a mystery to me. It's like taking pride in someone else's accomplishments thru random circumstances of birth instead of one's own, unless you passed the citizenship exam or provided meritorious service to your fellow citizens.
I feel the same way about sports fans. I just don't get it.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
And, just where is the proper "time and place" for free speech? Free speech that you disagree with, that is?

Outside the gate and only on public property but, not in the street and only with a permit from government officials who have a vested interest in the protesters not being there?

Doesn't sound much like actual free speech to me.
I'm already answered this. Summary of prior points: One's place of work - generally not the time and place (in this case, I think some NFL owners made a mistake in allowing it). See Detroit / Martha Ford's solution for an example of an NFL owner taking the lead on trying to address this in a positive manner, and taking control of the fan experience. Sports fans go to games for entertainment, and part of the hefty ticket/parking/concession price is to watch a game, not a protest. Fans go to games to escape things like news and politics.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:40 PM

One important program that addresses the point of the player protest to be axed under the Trump zombie apocalypse.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...38b507f1ca?j8b
Old 10-09-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
Considering how low this country has fallen, patriotism befuddles me as well. Ghastly embarrassment is all I have for this country these days.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I'm already answered this. Summary of prior points: One's place of work - generally not the time and place (in this case, I think some NFL owners made a mistake in allowing it). See Detroit / Martha Ford's solution for an example of an NFL owner taking the lead on trying to address this in a positive manner, and taking control of the fan experience. Sports fans go to games for entertainment, and part of the hefty ticket/parking/concession price is to watch a game, not a protest. Fans go to games to escape things like news and politics.
Do you regularly go around telling business owners how to run their business? I bet they really like that huh?
Old 10-10-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPots View Post
Do you regularly go around telling business owners how to run their business? I bet they really like that huh?
What a clueless comment, Potts. Customers provide feedback to business owners all time time regarding their product. Whether or not business owners choose to heed that feedback is another matter, but the best owners / businesses typically do.

In the meantime, it looks like the NFL owners are finally getting a clue. Could it be the fan's responses to the players? Could it be the TV ratings slide?

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/10/nfl-...em-report.html

The owners of the NFL are reportedly considering a rule change that would make it mandatory for players to stand during the national anthem.

A league spokesman said that the owners would discuss the potential change during a meeting next week, Dow Jones reported.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:39 AM

A mandatory loyalty oath not linked to a position of National service?
What next, a personal oath of fealty to the fucking moron in chief? He'd like that.
I'd proudly stand for a ceremony telling the fake potus to go fuck himself.