Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
What we need is Bill Clinton. Whatever you think of him, the guy has an IQ of about a billion and he is the only one who did anything about it. Not that the Republicans didn't do everything in their power to stop him.
I wish he and the President were on better terms, because that noodle of his is a pretty valuable resource.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Hah! They spent the money, regardless of excuses. The so-called 'balanced budget' (with a GOP controlled house btw) included SS receipts!

Pete
Old 11-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

It sure shows how much you can trust the government.

Pete
Old 11-19-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Hah! They spent the money, regardless of excuses. The so-called 'balanced budget' (with a GOP controlled house btw) included SS receipts!

Pete
Quote:
It sure shows how much you can trust the government.

Pete
Pete, you remember when Bush I was running? If he said it once he said it a million times- "we're going to put Social Security in a 'lock-box'". He said it so much it became a joke. Why did he have to keep saying it all the time? People were worried that he would cut it. And he knew if they had any inkling that would happen he would lose.

Yeah- they spent it. Yeah, they shouldn't have. No, no one called them on it and a lot of them are still there. And how many spots did you see from the fiscally reasonable Republicans saying "Democrats cut your Medicade!" And look how well it worked...
Old 11-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I don't remember Bush Sr saying it, but I do remember Gore saying it. Repeatedly.

No matter. It was a bipartisan screwing.

Pete
Old 11-19-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I don't remember Bush Sr saying it, but I do remember Gore saying it. Repeatedly.

No matter. It was a bipartisan screwing.
I don't doubt it. "I'm going to cut Social Security" is a poor campaign slogan. But the screwing is self-inflicted. I heard a lot about cutting taxes during the election. Who did we elect who said "I'll cut Social Security, Medicade and Millitary spending"? We heard the same "you can have it all" lies we've always heard. When pressed on spending we heard a lot about "illegals" and "Obamacare" or the Stimulus or bailouts. Stimulus and bailouts are over. Obamacare will cut the deficit- the only legislation I can recall in the last decade that will do so (may be others, and it certainly doesn't cut it by much). Illegals- we could talk about that one for a long time, but I challenge you to find me any support for a position that says dealing, somehow, with illegals will save us money. In fact, the controversial AZ bill was written in large part by people who run private prisons.* Their motivation? It costs money to arrest all the illegals and incarcerate them. Guess who pays.

*http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=130833741

Last edited by Fast_Eddie; 11-19-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Self inflicted - by voting Republican?

More like self inflicted by being idiots that don't pay attention.

Pete
Old 11-19-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Self inflicted - by voting Republican?

More like self inflicted by being idiots that don't pay attention.

Pete
I didn't say that Pete. Yes, Republicans have, in my opinion, played a bigger role in the problem and I find their lies less palatable. But that's just my subjective view. They will not admit for a second that taxes are historically low. But we're going to see Democrats once again show little if any flexibility in addressing Social Security and Medicare.

But I disagree - they are paying attention. Republicans have told their candidates that they will lose if they raise taxes. Democrats have told their candidates that they will lose if they cut entitlements. It's gotten to the point that Republicans promise they'll not cut entitlements either, and Democrats vow not to raise taxes. So what do we do with that?

The problem isn't that they ignore the voters or don't stick to their word. The problem is that they listen to the voters and they do stick to their word.

In my opinion, Democrats need to find candidates who will say "look, we have to cut these entitlements, but I will make sure we do it in a way that looks after your interest." Similarly, Republicans need candidates that say "taxes are going to have to go up to fix this problem, but I will make sure we do it in as limited and fair a manner as possible." But I don't see those signs at any of the rallies.

We need to elect people who will do both. We actually elect people who do neither.

Last edited by Fast_Eddie; 11-19-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

We are largely in agreement then Eddie

Pete
Old 11-19-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
We are largely in agreement then Eddie

Pete
I've said it before Pete- we're closer on most things than a lot of folks would think. Gets back to that thing I like to say about the TV jerks who try to divide people like you and me. Olberman would have me believe you're Hitler. Limbaugh would have you believe I'm... well, also Hitler. Hitler is really popular with those guys.